Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2014, 16:39   #8821
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

A stroll around Entwistle Reservoir today with a mixture of shots.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg
The Reservoir is very low as you can see from the shots of the birds on a low wall in the middle of the res.Number 3 is a mechanical one for Russell
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2014, 16:40   #8822
Senior Member+

Thanks Frank, I enjoyed today.
Plenty more to come, it's deciding which ones so there is a bit of variety.
Old 31-07-2014, 07:11   #8823
Senior Member+

Where is Entwistle reservoir Frank?
There are lots of photos on the forum naming places locally I have never heard of.
Maybe you have to leg it to see them.
Keep em coming anyway.
X
Old 31-07-2014, 07:26   #8824
Senior Member+

I'm sure most of you are aware of the wet weather we're experiencing, anyway,here are a few wet ones (mainly using the macro setting)
DSCF3346.jpgDSCF3342.jpgDSCF3348.jpgDSCF3350.jpgDSCF3357.jpgDSCF3359.jpgDSCF3361.jpgDSCF3362.jpgDSCF3363.jpg
shillelagh, Eric, mobertol and 6 others like this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 08:20   #8825
Senior Member+

More from my visit to my old playground.

No. 1 The little village school I attemded from 3 Y/O until I passed my eleven plus, Sir John Cockroft was educated there long before me, he lived close by and his family owned the local cotton mill.
No. 2 The wickets were still painted on the wall, they were there when I started in 1942, no gates or fences though, left handers couldn't be caught behind wicket. There is a grave just behind the nearest tree belonging to a local family who's son was killed at Rouke's Drift and his name is on the stone.
No.3 The local woods, notice how far I have walked. I excelled myself.
No. 4 It wouldn't be me if I didn't get a photo with something mechanical in it.
No.5 The pipe line in the background fed the boiler for Cockrofts mill from Copthurst dam, we used to shuffle across on our bottoms and when we got brave enough we would walk on it.
No. 6 Taken from the other side of the valley, the woods in the middle are where I took the last photo.
No. 7 Walsden water with the white cottage Margaret P used to visit in her younger days. The river was the original border between Lancashire and Yorkshire until 1889. Margaret's aunty's house is in Yorkshire, the river runs under a few houses and joins the Calder in Todmorden when once again the river was the boundary. I lived close by but by then it was all Yorkshire, the boundary shares the same boundary as the Borough of Todmorden,

No. 8, The last time I went up that lane I was riding a Triumph motorcycle sat backwards on the saddle. It was a favourite pastime for the local nutters ( I said it) They built a new road to by pass it many years ago and that is where I took the photo of the lorry.

I have a few more for later which I can post if the pants haven't already been bored off you.

ps, you may notice the electricity cables over head in some photos. It is still a novelty for the locals. They are still a bit wary of the TV, thinking maybe the people on the screen can see them. They always turn it off when they get undressed. I never had a TV when I lived there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden098.jpg (243.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden106.jpg (208.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden010.jpg (262.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden058.jpg (177.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden034.jpg (287.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden159.jpg (197.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden116.jpg (260.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_walsden049.jpg (291.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Gremlin; 31-07-2014 at 08:23.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 08:48   #8826
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Where is Entwistle reservoir Frank?
There are lots of photos on the forum naming places locally I have never heard of.
Maybe you have to leg it to see them.
Keep em coming anyway.
X
It is between Darwen and Bolton, off Green Arms Road. There are two car parks. One is free wher you have to walk down steps to the res and the other is £1 for two hours , but it is all level to the res.
shillelagh likes this.
Old 31-07-2014, 09:30   #8827
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
There are two car parks. One is free wher you have to walk down steps to the res and the other is £1 for two hours , but it is all level to the res.
I prefere to see the ticket machines with a 'out of order' sign on them.
Never been one for paying councils money for property that's publicly owned

password--Accyweb
Old 31-07-2014, 09:32   #8828
Senior Member+

Someone had set fire to the pay machine, it was out of order for about 6 months ,then the water board found out they were losing money
Old 31-07-2014, 10:03   #8829
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Someone had set fire to the pay machine, it was out of order for about 6 months ,then the water board found out they were losing money
As much as I frown upon 'criminal behaviour' in this case the person(s) responsible get a thumbs up from me.
I believe councils want to make them card only machines in a bid to make them less of a target.

password--Accyweb
Old 31-07-2014, 10:11   #8830
Senior Member+

Never been to Entwistle Res, but a few of the places I`ve been have honesty boxes for car parking which pays for the upkeep of the toilets etc.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 10:21   #8831
Senior Member+

A few from over the past few days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00001.jpg (468.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00002.jpg (407.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00003.jpg (419.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00027.jpg (396.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00150.jpg (194.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 31-07-2014, 10:26   #8832
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Never been to Entwistle Res, but a few of the places I`ve been have honesty boxes for car parking which pays for the upkeep of the toilets etc.
Unfortunately g, I don't think "honesty boxes" are as effective as they once were.
Perhaps if they put a sign up telling car park users what their money will be used for (toilets etc) then more people would be incline to contribute

password--Accyweb
Old 31-07-2014, 10:51   #8833
Senior Member+

The one i`ve been to a few times (Barley Green) does tell you that the money collected goes to the upkeep of the toilets. No doubt there will be plenty who don`t put there money in, but it`s probably unlikely to get set on fire.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:10   #8834
Senior Member+

Quote:
The toilets at Entwistle are called by a different name "Bushes"
Old 31-07-2014, 11:12   #8835
Senior Member+

Quote:
No doubt there will be plenty who don`t put there money in
Maybe they just struggle reading the sign g.....

......Conjunctivitis.com - now that's a site for sore eyes

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..