Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2014, 18:11   #10036
Beacon of light

Re: Today in pictures

Nearly Halloween......so here is a spooky moon.
Well no....two spooky moons. Not the best quality despite using the monopod.
I need more practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000731 (800x600).jpg (201.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1000728 (800x716).jpg (92.8 KB, 9 views)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2014, 18:16   #10037
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

So finally our journey comes to an end with a final jaunt to that Cockerney Eldorado of "Sarfend on sea mate!" with its most unmissable delicacies of jellied eels, winkles & whelks enough said! So on with the piccys.

The jewel in the Cockerny tarnished crown, Southend on sea - Folks enjoying the mild Autumn temperatures - A couple of shrimpers tandem trawling - Really, down to the end of the pier? all one & a quarter mile of it! Actually walking? Proper one foot in front of the other type walking? - Benches, lots of benches, definitely needed after that hike! - Southend Lifeboat station at the watery end of the pier - One little cheeky stone turner amongst hoards of the little beggars - So why didn't we use this to get here then? - Back to Harwich & our ride back to Europe & Germingland - On board, a time to reflect, relax & sink a scoop or several.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000302(1).jpg (230.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000303(1).jpg (411.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000311(1).jpg (151.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1000309(1).jpg (213.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000314(1).jpg (188.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000320(1).jpg (221.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000329(1).jpg (229.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000333(1).jpg (177.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000338(1).jpg (188.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1000341(1).jpg (157.7 KB, 8 views)
Eric, mobertol, Gremlin and 5 others like this.
Old 30-10-2014, 18:17   #10038

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
A day's shopping around Lucca - some amazing old shop-fronts and a great variety of products to suit all tastes.
What marvellous storefronts- captured so well I want to walk into every one of them
mobertol likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:34   #10039
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Nearly Halloween......so here is a spooky moon.
Well no....two spooky moons. Not the best quality despite using the monopod.
I need more practice.
Or lay off the whiskey.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:35   #10040
Beacon of light

Never touch the stuff...devil's wee wee!
Only had strong tea.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 30-10-2014, 20:45   #10041
God Member

The gardens of Palazzo Pfanner in Lucca - tucked away just inside the town walls a little gem of a garden. Italianate in style - quite simple but striking for the lemon trees and the lemon houses which are built into the mediaeval walls where the plants spend the winter months. In one photo the single gardener who is responsible for them - very friendly man - seen talking to my aunt and uncle in photo 8 - near a storage area which he told us was the original brewery of the Pfanner family in the early 1800's. Pfanner is still a make of Italian beer. We were lucky to have the place to ourselves for an hour of perfect peace before a group arrived and the walls also filled up with tourists as you can see in the last photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0561.jpg (500.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0560.jpg (574.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0554.jpg (502.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0567.jpg (556.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0569.jpg (498.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0575.jpg (529.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0589.jpg (499.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0596.jpg (512.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0597.jpg (538.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0607.jpg (563.0 KB, 9 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 21:13   #10042
Beacon of light

wouldn't that be a beautiful place to have a wedding...what fantastic pictures you would get for your album.
There are aspects of your pictures which remind me of Portmeirion Dianne...and I just love that place.
It is hard to believe that it is the end of October when you look at the rose bush.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-10-2014 at 21:17.
Old 30-10-2014, 21:20   #10043
Beacon of light

Have a trip to Portmeirion on me Dianne.
mobertol likes this.
Old 30-10-2014, 21:57   #10044
Senior Member+

Quote:
The gardens of Palazzo Pfanner in Lucca - tucked away just inside the town walls a little gem of a garden. Italianate in style - quite simple but striking for the lemon trees and the lemon houses which are built into the mediaeval walls where the plants spend the winter months. In one photo the single gardener who is responsible for them - very friendly man - seen talking to my aunt and uncle in photo 8 - near a storage area which he told us was the original brewery of the Pfanner family in the early 1800's. Pfanner is still a make of Italian beer. We were lucky to have the place to ourselves for an hour of perfect peace before a group arrived and the walls also filled up with tourists as you can see in the last photo.
You would think it was summer by all the greenery and plants in flower, especially the roses and begonias, also the lack of people in coats.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 22:23   #10045
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, I knew where I wanted to visit today, but only had 30 minutes to achieve it. So it was straight to the site, work the area photographically, and leg it back to the car.

1. Along the canal, you can see the gasometer, upper centre, in Gt. Harwood.
2. The destination, what was once a workers community, my guess would be weavers before the industry was centralised.
3. Just around the bend is a small boatyard, but we are going sharp right.
4. Little remains after progress swept them into history.
5. If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of clogs on floorboards.
6. This region is peppered with these small hamlets that are disintegrating.
7. Today we will go through the square window.
8. Time is almost up.
9. Last shot of these buildings.
10. I bet once someone would have been very house-proud here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1290759.JPG (396.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _1290763.JPG (341.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1290770.JPG (341.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1290788.JPG (467.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg _1290790.JPG (400.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1290804.jpg (198.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1290822.JPG (363.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1290852.JPG (380.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1290855.JPG (438.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1290870.JPG (469.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 31-10-2014, 09:35   #10046
God Member

Quote:
wouldn't that be a beautiful place to have a wedding...what fantastic pictures you would get for your album.
There are aspects of your pictures which remind me of Portmeirion Dianne...and I just love that place.
It is hard to believe that it is the end of October when you look at the rose bush.
I can see what you mean about the gardens in Portmeirion Margaret - definitely a similar Italian feel. What a lovely place, I love the colours of the buildings and the mix of architecture - would love to visit there one day.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 31-10-2014, 09:41   #10047
God Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
You would think it was summer by all the greenery and plants in flower, especially the roses and begonias, also the lack of people in coats.
I was talking to the gardener and he told me it's very protected there by the walls and not affected by winds at all. He takes all the huge pots of lemon trees in in November before they start to get frosts and they come back out at the end of March. He was really glad to have a chat as he works there by himself and most tourists don't think of approaching him. I always chat to the gardeners wherever I visit - if I see them - we all enjoy the results of their work but often don't realise the effort involved - I really envied this gardener the lovely place he works though...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 31-10-2014, 09:45   #10048
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, I knew where I wanted to visit today, but only had 30 minutes to achieve it. So it was straight to the site, work the area photographically, and leg it back to the car.

1. Along the canal, you can see the gasometer, upper centre, in Gt. Harwood.
2. The destination, what was once a workers community, my guess would be weavers before the industry was centralised.
3. Just around the bend is a small boatyard, but we are going sharp right.
4. Little remains after progress swept them into history.
5. If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of clogs on floorboards.
6. This region is peppered with these small hamlets that are disintegrating.
7. Today we will go through the square window.
8. Time is almost up.
9. Last shot of these buildings.
10. I bet once someone would have been very house-proud here.
You can't beat the autumn colours - it's my favourite season for this reason. I always wonder about the people who used to live in these isolated country buildings - it must have been a hard life. I live well out in the country and love it but it would be hard without a car!
davemac likes this.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 31-10-2014, 10:15   #10049
Senior Member+

Quote:
You can't beat the autumn colours - it's my favourite season for this reason. I always wonder about the people who used to live in these isolated country buildings - it must have been a hard life. I live well out in the country and love it but it would be hard without a car!
There is an old cart track that leads down to Burnley Road, and the canal is just behind, so it was a slower pace of life, simpler, but poorer.
mobertol likes this.
Old 31-10-2014, 10:54   #10050
Beacon of light

Quote:
I can see what you mean about the gardens in Portmeirion Margaret - definitely a similar Italian feel. What a lovely place, I love the colours of the buildings and the mix of architecture - would love to visit there one day.
In 2002 my niece came over from Oz and we went there....she was most impressed....what was really impressive was it was a beautiful day with blue skies as far as the eye could see and she said that she could imagine that it actually was Italy and not Wales.

There are places to stay in the actual village, but it is expensive...but for a wedding or special anniversary, it would be just perfect.
I am glad you enjoyed the virtual visit.
mobertol likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..