Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2014, 01:46   #10156
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
That's art.
As Charley Partanna said: "Art who"?

But more seriously: you might enjoy "The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human Evolution." (Denis Dutton.) It suggests possible reasons why so many of us enjoy "Today in pictures."
mobertol likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2014, 10:31   #10157

Thank you, Eric. I haven't read Dutton's book, but found some descriptions and reviews on line. His notion that our appreciation of art stems from our cave-dwelling ancestors is interesting.
I've long been skeptical of academics, and their notion that artists are godlike creatures that have something we 'common folk' don't have. That kind of snobbery makes my blood boil. So Dutton's ideas have some appeal for me!
I prefer to maintain my personal definition of art close to heart: I see, I react, I express how I feel about it, I share with others. Isn't that what we're trying to do in this thread? Maybe. Room for discussion I think
mobertol, Gremlin and davemac like this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 11:42   #10158
God Member

Quote:
I prefer to maintain my personal definition of art close to heart: I see, I react, I express how I feel about it, I share with others. Isn't that what we're trying to do in this thread? Maybe. Room for discussion I think
There's always room for discussion ... and you could consider that your "personal definition" isn't really all that "personal" ... and, like a fear of heights, or snakes, or turtles, it certainly isn't unique.
mobertol and Turtle like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 14:18   #10159
God Member

Quote:
Really interesting, and lovely shots, Dianne! I find myself wondering how the young shepherds live like that - they look so happy in the last photo
I bumped into them again yesterday afternoon as they have moved behind our farm now - they moved the flock in driving rain the day before and I felt guily about being inside in the warm. They live quite basically but also both have an I-pads as they have asked me send them my photos. A few more of them in today's selection of funghi which I'm about to post...more of the donkey for Margaret too

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 14:33   #10160
God Member

Another walk on a beautiful sunny day which came after one of driving rain - plenty of funghi around including another stinkhorn - they really do stink!

Last 4 of the herd and shepherd's - the drawing on the door of their caravan of a donkey was executed by Luca it says " Shepherd is not a job it's a way of life" the word Pastore is Shepherd it's written on the back of their caravan to warn drivers when they are moving the flock with the jeep on long road stretches. The shepherdess is called Gabriella.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1595.jpg (455.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1621.jpg (264.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1624.jpg (500.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1640.jpg (372.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1641.jpg (479.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1665.jpg (453.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1592.jpg (510.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1680.jpg (384.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1681.jpg (513.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1683.jpg (469.7 KB, 11 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 19-11-2014, 14:36   #10161
Senior Member+

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg
A stroll around Watergrove Res Today
Eric, mobertol, davemac and 3 others like this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 14:59   #10162
God Member

There are still quite a lot of wild flowers around over here too because of the mild weather this autumn. Some nice splashes of colour there and number 7 is a really interesting composition.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 19-11-2014, 15:05   #10163
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Another walk on a beautiful sunny day which came after one of driving rain - plenty of funghi around including another stinkhorn - they really do stink!

Last 4 of the herd and shepherd's - the drawing on the door of their caravan of a donkey was executed by Luca it says " Shepherd is not a job it's a way of life" the word Pastore is Shepherd it's written on the back of their caravan to warn drivers when they are moving the flock with the jeep on long road stretches. The shepherdess is called Gabriella.
As you said the word Pastore is shepherd. I wondered why border collies are classed as pastorial.
mobertol likes this.
Old 19-11-2014, 20:42   #10164
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, yesterday around Huncoat Pit, today around the woods to the rear of Wilson's Playing Field and toward the bottom of Bell Lanes.

1. This area when it was a pit was used to store the coal, it was off to the right, the train line followed roughly the footpath you see, and some of it appears to have a base of the fill used between the sleepers. Roughly where I am standing was a lever that diverted the trains onto a second line that went off to the left of where I am.
2. Pendle Hill, it dominates the area.
3. A quick visit to the teazel fields, used in the 19th century to clean, align and raise the nap on fabrics, especially wool. They were inserted into rotating teazel frames.
4. Looking down the site, top right is Whinney Hill.
5. Looking across the site from the once busy railway line, looking across the M65, to the left is dean clough, following it right is Whalley Nab, and in the mist you can just see Longridge Fell.
6. Now to the woods, this stream skirts the edge of the site, I have no idea if it has a name but must eventually feed into the River Hyndburn as that is its direction.
7. The priests walk, once paved to keep the clothes of the clergy clean from the mud as he went between his two churches. For the most part the flags have long since been purloined for other uses, just a small section remains as it passes Wilson's Playing Field.
8. 9. & 10 big brown Beech trees as they skirt the farmers fields off to the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1320919.JPG (470.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg _1320923.JPG (496.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _1320935.JPG (407.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _1320947.JPG (384.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _1320965.JPG (367.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _1320983.JPG (430.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _1320989.JPG (406.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _1330005.JPG (435.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _1330034.JPG (443.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _1330036.JPG (431.3 KB, 6 views)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 21:44   #10165
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, a site I have not visited for some time, not a big site but on a clear day the views are worth the visit.

1. Thats a nice bit of fencing.
2. Once a busy opening, one entrance to Top O'Slate quarry.
3. A dusky and overcast day.
4. You wouldnt get me up in one of those.
5. A place to stand and take in the view.
6. You are either going up hill or down hill around here.
7. If I could just sit with you a while-If you could just hold me.............(Dennis Jernigan).
8. L.S. Lowry once said....I saw the industrial scene and I was affected by it.........................
9. Time to get going, things to do.
10. On the way home in heavy traffic I noticed this off to the left, and had to stop to soak up the fiery sky.....I managed a few shots but time was passing and had to be elsewhere.....turning back to the line of traffic I noticed that no one was looking at it. It was invisible to them as they stared at the exhaust pipe of the car in front and staying as close as they could so no one would steal their place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0535.JPG (262.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0544.JPG (349.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0587.JPG (461.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0602.JPG (394.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0608.JPG (269.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0626.JPG (352.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0667.JPG (338.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0689.JPG (256.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0694.JPG (272.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0721.JPG (243.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 20-11-2014, 23:47   #10166
God Member

Photo comp. 50 thread apears to be closed - I just wanted to say that there are some lovely entries so far and I hope the uploading problem will be sorted asap for more of you to be able to enter this time.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 21-11-2014, 01:54   #10167
Senior Member+

Quote:
Photo comp. 50 thread apears to be closed - I just wanted to say that there are some lovely entries so far and I hope the uploading problem will be sorted asap for more of you to be able to enter this time.
Problem not sorted yet, I keep trying to upload but still get the out of space message.
Old 21-11-2014, 07:39   #10168
Senior Member+

Quote:
I got 4 on then it said I was was out of space
Old 22-11-2014, 17:41   #10169
Senior Member+

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg11.jpg
A few more from our walk around Watergrove Res.
Eric, mobertol, davemac and 3 others like this.
Old 23-11-2014, 21:35   #10170
Senior Member+

Managed a couple of early evening pics today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01516-Edit.jpg (499.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01525-Edit.jpg (489.8 KB, 13 views)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..