Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2015, 16:28   #10591
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
The Canal and Rivers Trust are fitting new lock gates at Bank Newton
Are they the folk that took over from British waterways?...

...great shots btw

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2015, 18:11   #10592
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Are they the folk that took over from British waterways?...

...great shots btw
Yeh
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 20:20   #10593
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just a few from this afternoon taken at work/Mill/Depot.

A couple of Deer, not bothered in the least by what these strange Human types are doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010043(1).jpg (340.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1010044(1).jpg (343.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1010045(1).jpg (267.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 21:38   #10594
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Early this morning I went to check on the kiln that I fired at the guild last night.
At the front door I noticed icicles. Grabbing my cell phone (all I had with me) I went on the hunt. The back door wouldn't open, so I stumbled through knee deep snow and minus 14 degrees to get these. Here you go, Jason! They would look prettier later in the day when the sun hits them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I had the same idea ... as I sipped on hot choc and rum after my morning shovel ... have to shovel out a play pen for my munchkin in the back yard. Great minds think alike, eh.
I dont think we can compete with those icicles, and remember, if its not wet you are not doing it right.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 22:01   #10595
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, if this snow keeps vanishing I may go to Canada, although I will want to be home for dinners.

1. I was heading for Troy Quarry, however I had a sudden "I wonder where that goes" moment, and two hours later was still heading for the quarry.
2. I'v no idea the name of this place, although Jamestone Quarry is just out of sight.
3. Another lost community, it looks like farm buildings and workers cottages.
4. Just so you know, I am flat out in the white stuff for this shot.
5. More remnants of buildings, although the footprint of the walls gives no clue as to the shape of the building.
6. Right its time to head in the direction of Troy.
7. Found it, but there is little time to properly dwell and soak up the history.
8. With all that ice I don't think I will go any closer to the edge.
9. The stone pillar that remains actually was the base for the excavation machinery.
10. When the weather is kinder the rock face entertains climbers both going up and down as well, the top I have just been along has metal poles hammered in to attach the safety ropes. Plus there are disclamer notices saying if you fall off and break both legs not to go running to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC6139.JPG (426.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6161.JPG (358.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6171.jpg (193.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6207.JPG (375.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6214.JPG (382.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6243.JPG (425.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6263.JPG (491.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6273.JPG (480.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6291.JPG (343.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6298.JPG (484.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 22:06   #10596
Beacon of light

I have never heard of half of these places that you frequent Dave.
You certainly do allow us armchair travellers to get a good view of places though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:08   #10597
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You certainly do allow us armchair travellers to get a good view of places though.
I usually find them by wondering where that goes, it is an unpredictable pastime, sometimes I misplace myself and end up being out for a lot longer than anticipated.
I get a strange pleasure from it though, and its always a bonus if it entertains as well.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:29   #10598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I had the same idea ... as I sipped on hot choc and rum after my morning shovel ... have to shovel out a play pen for my munchkin in the back yard. Great minds think alike, eh.
Nice ones Eric. I don't think we'll be using our BBQs any time soon - more snow to come apparently
Eric likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:33   #10599

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I dont think we can compete with those icicles, and remember, if its not wet you are not doing it right.
I thought about that, davemac, I really did - when I was kneeling in the snow, trying to shoot upwards through the icicles. Wetness would have been preferable to freezing cold knees hah hah!
davemac likes this.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:39   #10600

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, if this snow keeps vanishing I may go to Canada, although I will want to be home for dinners.

1. I was heading for Troy Quarry, however I had a sudden "I wonder where that goes" moment, and two hours later was still heading for the quarry.
2. I'v no idea the name of this place, although Jamestone Quarry is just out of sight.
3. Another lost community, it looks like farm buildings and workers cottages.
4. Just so you know, I am flat out in the white stuff for this shot.
5. More remnants of buildings, although the footprint of the walls gives no clue as to the shape of the building.
6. Right its time to head in the direction of Troy.
7. Found it, but there is little time to properly dwell and soak up the history.
8. With all that ice I don't think I will go any closer to the edge.
9. The stone pillar that remains actually was the base for the excavation machinery.
10. When the weather is kinder the rock face entertains climbers both going up and down as well, the top I have just been along has metal poles hammered in to attach the safety ropes. Plus there are disclamer notices saying if you fall off and break both legs not to go running to them.
Wow super shots, davemac. The colours in the quarry stone are set off so nicely against the snow. Er, I hope you take a cell phone with you for emergencies on these treks of yours!
davemac likes this.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:35   #10601
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Bit of info here for you Margaret.

Maybe start you off on an E

UKC Logbook - Troy Quarry
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:51   #10602
Beacon of light

thank you for that info.
Expeditions have been firmly curtailed by things being done at the house....and dark nights also get in the way of my venturing out.
I am also pretty tied to routes that are available by bus......Hoghton tower was on my list last year, but things kept getting in the way......I will carry that one over to this years venturing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:31   #10603
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Wow super shots, davemac. The colours in the quarry stone are set off so nicely against the snow. Er, I hope you take a cell phone with you for emergencies on these treks of yours!
I always take my phone, although if I did require the emergency services it may be difficult telling them where I am if I don't really know myself.

I am drawn to this area as it was the epicentre of quarrying for the area around Helmshore. It is littered with abandoned farmhouses, weavers cottages, workers cottages and other stone remains that sometimes are not apparent as to their real use. They all appear to be on old long gone cart tracks that spider web the area, some of the cart tracks end up at the top end of Oswaldtwistle so gives the impression that they were "A" roads of their time.
Turtle likes this.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:42   #10604
Senior Member+

Selected Heritage sites - Valley of Stone

This link explores the whole area known as the valley of stone.
Old 07-02-2015, 17:31   #10605
Senior Member+

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-5.jpgUntitled-6.jpgUntitled-9.jpgUntitled-10.jpgUntitled-11.jpgUntitled-12.jpg

A stroll up the Lane to Spire Farm via Higher Brox Farm and Heights Cottages returning down Plantation Road and Arden Hall
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..