Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2015, 21:32   #10621
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
.... Scotland is another country? Right!
It is indeed, somewhere not far from the North Pole. I`ve nearly thawed out.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2015, 21:33   #10622
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Back from a lovely long weekend away up North of the border, todays pics are from Friday, the drive up and around where we were stopping.

1. Loch Lomand
2-5. Glen Coe.
6&7. Loch Leven.
8. The lodge we were staying in, overlookin Loch Oich.
9. The well of the seven heads.
10. Sun going down over Loch Oich.
That's some expanse of wild country.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 21:36   #10623
Beacon of light

Cold, but very picturesque.
It is amazing what privations amateur snappers will put up with to get a great picture.....you with frozen toesies, Davemac with damp knees and gusset.....all in the name of art!
davemac, Turtle and gpick24 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 22:02   #10624

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Back from a lovely long weekend away up North of the border, todays pics are from Friday, the drive up and around where we were stopping.

1. Loch Lomand
2-5. Glen Coe.
6&7. Loch Leven.
8. The lodge we were staying in, overlookin Loch Oich.
9. The well of the seven heads.
10. Sun going down over Loch Oich.
Spectacular - both the scenery and the shots
gpick24 and Accyexplorer like this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 22:05   #10625
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Spectacular - both the scenery and the shots

Thanks turtle, more to come tomorrow.
Accyexplorer likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 22:42   #10626

Yes please
Old 09-02-2015, 22:44   #10627

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, setting off up plantation Road I didn't realise how I would be drawn into the history of the area, or realise how complex the area was.

1. All that remains of the once proud Arden Hall, built in 1846 for Benjamin Hargreaves.
2. Up thill, Plantation Road, the longest un restored cobbled (stone setts) road in England.
3. The rear entrance pillars to Plantation House occupied by William Denham Grimshaw.
4. To the rear of Plantation House, all that remains of the service buildings and the greenhouse complex.
5. The stream that once powered the 36' waterwheel(one of two) that provided power into the mill complex. Higher up it was sluiced to provide constant water.
6. This is the water that flowed from the 4 reservoirs, it provided the water to undertake the calico printing.
7. The waterfall still provides a useful amount of water.
8. This building is within sight of the waterwheels and there is a small lodge behind, so I am guessing it had something to do with the water supply.
9. Here is where the water enters the mill area to be put to use.
10. Here is the top of the gate post that once stood on the road through the mill complex. There is one either side of the path and gives some idea how much the land has been filled in.

This film is local history walk around the area by Lee Aaron and Mike Dickinson, I should have watched this before I went on my travels, it would have made more sense of the area.

I wasn't able to watch the video from your link, but found it on YouTube directly. It was nice to learn a bit about Benjamin Hargreaves school, as I went there as a youngster.

I always enjoy seeing evidence of Accrington's industrial past in your photos. It's great to have some perspective given as to what the half buried and decayed objects once were
Old 09-02-2015, 23:22   #10628
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I wasn't able to watch the video from your link, but found it on YouTube directly. It was nice to learn a bit about Benjamin Hargreaves school, as I went there as a youngster.

I always enjoy seeing evidence of Accrington's industrial past in your photos. It's great to have some perspective given as to what the half buried and decayed objects once were
I didn't intend to get so caught up in the history but all the indications of grand houses that remained set me off on a quest. In the late 18th century and early 19th the area must have been awash with mill owners houses and the mills themselves. Having watched the video when I got home, I had walked most of the areas covered, and a few more, and noticed the remnants of styles and gas lamp bases but without knowing what they were when I was there.
The information that there were two 36' waterwheels powering the mill complex was new to me, so next time I go I will look for the evidence.
Turtle likes this.
Old 09-02-2015, 23:48   #10629
Senior Member+

Plantation Road is one of Acrington's most famous roads, during the 19th century it was home to two families of the era (Hargreaves and Grimshaw)..
Between them i think they employed 50-60% of the working population in the printing and cotton industries.
The last person to live at Arden Hall was Alderman Bury,a former Mayor of Accrington.I believe they had a Archaeological Dig around that area too.
davemac likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 00:09   #10630

Quote:
I didn't intend to get so caught up in the history but all the indications of grand houses that remained set me off on a quest. In the late 18th century and early 19th the area must have been awash with mill owners houses and the mills themselves. Having watched the video when I got home, I had walked most of the areas covered, and a few more, and noticed the remnants of styles and gas lamp bases but without knowing what they were when I was there.
The information that there were two 36' waterwheels powering the mill complex was new to me, so next time I go I will look for the evidence.
I look forward to that
davemac likes this.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06   #10631
Senior Member+

Quote:
Today in Pictures, setting off up plantation Road I didn't realise how I would be drawn into the history of the area, or realise how complex the area was.

1. All that remains of the once proud Arden Hall, built in 1846 for Benjamin Hargreaves.
2. Up thill, Plantation Road, the longest un restored cobbled (stone setts) road in England.
3. The rear entrance pillars to Plantation House occupied by William Denham Grimshaw.
4. To the rear of Plantation House, all that remains of the service buildings and the greenhouse complex.
5. The stream that once powered the 36' waterwheel(one of two) that provided power into the mill complex. Higher up it was sluiced to provide constant water.
6. This is the water that flowed from the 4 reservoirs, it provided the water to undertake the calico printing.
7. The waterfall still provides a useful amount of water.
8. This building is within sight of the waterwheels and there is a small lodge behind, so I am guessing it had something to do with the water supply.
9. Here is where the water enters the mill area to be put to use.
10. Here is the top of the gate post that once stood on the road through the mill complex. There is one either side of the path and gives some idea how much the land has been filled in.

This film is local history walk around the area by Lee Aaron and Mike Dickinson, I should have watched this before I went on my travels, it would have made more sense of the area.

We walked through there yesterday afternoon on our way up coppice
davemac likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:08   #10632
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Plantation Road is one of Acrington's most famous roads, during the 19th century it was home to two families of the era (Hargreaves and Grimshaw)..
Between them i think they employed 50-60% of the working population in the printing and cotton industries.
The last person to live at Arden Hall was Alderman Bury,a former Mayor of Accrington.I believe they had a Archaeological Dig around that area too.
There was a dig up there and we talked to them. One of them was very excited and showed us his finds. Some glass marbles and a couple of clay pipes.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:28   #10633
Senior Member+

I knew, I heard something about digging in that area. Apparently they found "everything from a cast-iron boiler and bathroom tiles, to old coins and fireplaces."

East Lancashire scouts dig back into the past (From Lancashire Telegraph)

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:07   #10634
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We walked through there yesterday afternoon on our way up coppice
Since I was last up there they have put footpaths through the area, and on the side of plantation house as well. If you go off piste there are piles of stones all around the area where they just dropped the houses and buildings.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:38   #10635
Senior Member+

We know it well.Just up past Plantation Cottage on Plantation Road on the right is a biggish pons which seems to have a lot of it's incoming water diverted somewhere.It is not as full as it usually is

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..