Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2017, 22:01   #13186
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
5th Oct 2017 - A Robin

Not the greatest shot of a Robin I've done, the background is far too busy...

Looks like a perfectly natural habitat for a robin, what more could you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryewolf90 likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2017, 09:14   #13187
Senior Member+

Quote:
Same here...

Unless you have a pro camera/lens combination which are usually fully weather sealed - but they do come at a hefty price premium...

If it's just a few spits and spots of rain/light drizzle, I usually keep the camera under my jacket/fleece with the lens hood on, whip it out when I want to take some snaps and then put it back and wipe the body/lens body with a kitchen towel whilst under my jacket.

If it's absolutely teeming it down with rain, like it was yesterday, it's a different matter.

This is what I used yesterday: Storm Jacket - they came in Standard or Pro versions (in various sizes to fit different lens/camera lengths). The only difference between the Standard and Pro, is the Pro version has a velcro opening on the bottom for use on a tripod.

Mine is the medium Pro, but still big enough to cover my Sigma 150-600mm lens at full stretch + camera, plus can be bunched up to fit my 24-105mm lens + camera. Cost me around £40-45 a few years back. (Wex Photographic sells them...)

The size of the pouch with folded cover is 15cm long, 10cm tall and a couple of centimeters thick, weighs about 50-70gram, the material is waterproof/water resistant... and I can now say with confindence that even after an hour stood in the rain that both were bone dry at the end.

The rain got so bad that even the birds bogged off and sat out of the rain.
I'll take your word for it mate. I've started leaving the 150-600 at home more and more lately, I'm finding it hard to wag about without a tripod.
My favourite combo at the moment is a Nikon 810 or D750 with a 24-120 f4 lens.
Unless I've something specific in mind then I've a selection of primes to choose from.
I'm not really into wild life photography or plants. I haven't a clue what's what.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:21   #13188
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I'm always afraid of taking my camera and gear out in bad weather.
There's too much money invested in the equipment.
Good for you though in getting out and about taking those great photos.
My camera's are quite humble...not in Russells league at all, but I do not like taking them out in bad weather either.
I know if they were to be weather damaged I would not get them replaced.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:29   #13189
Senior Member+

It's more than just having the best cameras MARGARET, the eye behind the lens is most important.
My partner studied fine art at John Moores University and I met her friend who studied with her a few weeks ago.
She had taken most of the monochrome photos for a BBC documentary about the old Liverpool docks and the demolition of them and old Liverpool.
I was very interested in what equipment she used and was amazed when she said "A LUMIX bridge camera on auto and an eye for a scene' and like me doesn't like too much processing and editing.
Just goes to show. Biggest isn't always best.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:50   #13190
Beacon of light

I have a couple of LUMIX camera's...I also have A Fuji compact which I carry everywhere.
You can have the most sophisticated camera in the world, but if you do not know how to use it, then it is wasted...equally having a 'feel' for a shot...and of course being in the right place at the right time are all good ingredients for a good picture.

Pictures are also a very personal thing. The shot you take means something to you because it is a moment in time, in your life.
It may evoke different emotions from someone who views the shot.

It used to be that National Trust properties did not allow you to take photographs(I do not know if this is still the case).They would, however, let you buy a compilation of shots taken by a professional photographer...on glossy paper and not cheap.
I would prefer that places like this would allow you to purchase a licence to take photographs that are personally meaningful.
I am sure this would be cost effective to them.
No outlay on paper, printing costs and a photographer.
Old 06-10-2017, 18:55   #13191
Senior Member+

I had to purchase a licence to take photographs in Peterborough Cathedral, got a big label to fix to my coat.
I've taken photos in the big house on Angelsey and that near Bangor(you know the ones Margaret) but flash wasn't allowed.
Luckily my camera takes pretty good photo with hi ISO settings in low light.
Old 06-10-2017, 20:22   #13192
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It used to be that National Trust properties did not allow you to take photographs
It can depend from property to property, some allow photographs inside, others don't - the same goes for English Heritage. Riddlesden Hall does allow photography inside as well as outside - though it's limited to personal use only and not commercially.

Same goes for other museums etc, Howarth Art Gallery does allow any photography inside (and it'd be probably be limited to personal use of the outside only given that it's private property), when I went to Helmshore Textile Musuem I had to sign a form saying that I wouldn't use images taken inside commercially.
Ryewolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 20:37   #13193
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Looks like a perfectly natural habitat for a robin, what more could you want?
As you say, perfectly natural habitat, it's a perfectly good image of a Robin, but there's natural habitats and natural habitats that don't detract from your subject...

Just a few from the last few years, all of Robins in natural habitats, the 3rd image was taken earlier this year not 15ft from the one I posted...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robin-1715.jpg (195.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg robin-3586-1.jpg (139.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg robin-3545.jpg (217.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg robin-4178.jpg (98.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-10-2017, 20:41   #13194
Full Member+

That should be 'Howarth Art Gallery doesn't allow any photography inside', damn that Edit Post option disappears quickly....
Old 06-10-2017, 21:02   #13195
Full Member+

6th Oct 2017 - Astley Hall, Chorley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astley-hall-7993.jpg (335.0 KB, 7 views)
gpick24 likes this.
Old 06-10-2017, 21:59   #13196
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I had to purchase a licence to take photographs in Peterborough Cathedral, got a big label to fix to my coat.
I've taken photos in the big house on Angelsey and that near Bangor(you know the ones Margaret) but flash wasn't allowed.
Luckily my camera takes pretty good photo with hi ISO settings in low light.
Yes, they have a similar set up in Exeter Cathedral.
The big house on Anglesey is another one I have happily snapped away in(without flash).
Osborne House does not allow you to take any pictures inside the house...flash or no flash.
Indeed, I was stopped from taking a picture of the grounds from an upper storey window.
I thought that was a bit excessive seeing as my photography was harming none of the artefacts inside the house.
I just wanted a good vantage shot.
They have stewards(plural) in every room and corridor.
Needless to say I did not splurge on the photographic souvenir of the place.
Old 06-10-2017, 22:00   #13197
Beacon of light

Quote:
That should be 'Howarth Art Gallery doesn't allow any photography inside', damn that Edit Post option disappears quickly....
Ten minutes is all you have got...to edit, that is.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:33   #13198
Senior Member+

Quote:
I've taken photographs in Howarth Art Gallery and nobody told me to stop.
It wasn't a special occasion either.
My partner took some of me posing by the piano also.
That was a couple of months ago.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:39   #13199
Full Member+

7th Oct 2017 - Poole's Cavern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pooles-cavern-the-dome-1745.jpg (299.0 KB, 10 views)
gpick24 likes this.
Old 08-10-2017, 22:13   #13200
Full Member+

8th Oct 2017 - Steam Train on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loco-44871-8059.jpg (439.5 KB, 10 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..