Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 05:54   #1
God Member

Try this one for size, then.

This is a bit of a walk from the town centre but it is still within the boundries. But where is it and, more importantly, what is it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery photo3.jpg (93.5 KB, 158 views)
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2004, 16:43   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Try this one for size, then.

Nice one Bob! Aint's a clue! Its obviously some very old stone, with writing on. My shot in the dark guess is ..... somewhere up Green Haworth!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 16:53   #3
God Member

Nope. Try looking towards the east.
Old 10-05-2004, 20:37   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Is it up the Coppice? Sure I've seen something similar up there when I've been out with the dog. Have no idea what it is though..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:05   #5
God Member

Closer, but you need to go a bit further east. Perhaps 'The King's Highway' might help.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:24   #6
Caz
God Member

Huncoat Stocks?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 13:01   #7
God Member

This is a tough one Bob......offhand, it could be several things. it's obviously a large, flat, heavily-weathered stone, with inscription at an angle to the rectangular, resting in a grassy area and possibly covering a hollow of some form underneath..

1) A ripped-out milestone........but I doubt it. the lettering would be to the vertical, given the stone would be half set in the ground.

2) An old gravestone...........no, lettering wrong again.

3) Possibly a covering for a well.....and the writing suggests it could say "Mary Hug? Well"....(but my eyesights knackered, so I can't be sure)...I'd plumb for something like this.

Where it is, I have'nt a clue.............it's definatly not in Church so it must be over the far east of Accy somewhere.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 13:13   #8
Roy
Administrator

Hmmm.. I'm not so sure that is an 'official' inscription. Looks more like graffiti to me....?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 13:22   #9
God Member

I'm more convinced it could be a well (just forgetting the inscription).....the type of grass surrounding the stone is the sort that does grow in the vicuinity of a pond or a stream..
Old 11-05-2004, 13:39   #10
Senior Member+

Hey. Tealeaf! You could have given a clue there. Are you listening Bob? IS IT SOMETHING TO DO WITH MARY HOYLE'S WELL??
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 13:39   #11
mez
God Member

i wondered if it was a "moggy" grave
Old 11-05-2004, 13:44   #12
God Member

I must admit, I've never heard of "Mary Hoyles Well"....but if it's for real, then I now suspect that this is it...the stone covers a spring outlet to stop any animals soiling the water....there's definatly a hollow underneath which I suspect would have been larger at some point in time.

Who was Mary Hoyle, anyway?
Old 11-05-2004, 14:20   #13
Senior Member+

Not up Hapton way is it?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 15:59   #14

Inscription looks more like :-
MARY
HOLY
WELL
It looks like a spring coming from them thar hills.
If it is a spring then I would expect to see barbed wire for protection, rather than blue netting.

Without the aid of a safety net, a map or having lived in the area....could it be the source for the Hyndburn ?
Old 11-05-2004, 18:21   #15
God Member

Ok, Ok. I reckon Tealeaf and Weary Tourist have to share the points on this one.
The Object is a well covering, The inscription does read 'Mary's Holy Well' The location is on the side of Hamildon near The King's Highway. Apparently it was the focus of May Day processions and, believe it or not, pilgrimages in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, hence it's name of 'May Road Well'. I do not think any miraculous cures were recorded though. The spring which rises here has lost a lot of it's force in the last seventy years as a result of drainage work on the hillside.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..