Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2012, 07:53   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Union Street, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Here are three photos from a book of old Accy pics in my possession. The first two are looking towards the viaduct and the third is looking towards the Town Hall. These are the properties demolished to make way for Tesco and the Astronaut pub in the early sixties. Union Street dates from 1787.
I remember there being houses on Union Street. Also a vets where I used to take my pet rabbit. I rember the cobbled fronts on the buildings.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2012, 10:02   #17
Resting In Peace

Thanks very much for these fab photos. Just what I wanted.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:14   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindashanks2 View Post
Thanks very much for these fab photos. Just what I wanted.
Good, glad they filled the bill. If you would like a better quality image to print off, pm me with your email address and I will send them to you.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:19   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
Great photos Susie. Where do you get them from. I love old photos and would love to get some of Clayton
Read my post number 4. They came from a book I have.

Try doing some internet research if you want pics of Clayton or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 29-06-2012, 15:59   #20
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That side of Union St was cleared, circa 1950's and the area of land now occupied by most of the Arndale was used as a car park, the Blackburn bus stop was approx where the arcade entrance is now, there was a red brick toilet block built there as well. During the last war that site was surrounded by a wooden boarded fence & was used as a barrage balloon site. The balloon was struck by lightning twice during that time, because they didn't get the dammed thing down in time, saw it burning once, think the remnants landed some where near Park St, Plantation St area, plus 1/2 mile of wire cable drapped across all the roof tops. Broadway has been remodelled 4 times during my life time.
You know, Walter, I remember the green painted boards all around Broadway but I didn't know about the barrage balloon.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 17:48   #21
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
You know, Walter, I remember the green painted boards all around Broadway but I didn't know about the barrage balloon.
Me niether, although I too remember the green boards. I was born and brought up in the next street, i.e. Crawshaw Street which backed on to Union Street. I spent many happy hours running about on the "coyts" in between the back yards.
atkiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 20:30   #22
Senior Member+

There used to be a vets on Union Street.Was it Tindalls or Peter Hall? I took a rabbit there once when I was a kid and he didn't charge me.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:52   #23
Senior Member+

I remember that they removed all the remains from the Church grounds and re-interred them. Can't remember the actual dates but reckon it must have been late '50s or early '60s
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I remember that they removed all the remains from the Church grounds and re-interred them. Can't remember the actual dates but reckon it must have been late '50s or early '60s
Musta been mid 60s Barrie? Had a mate worked on the job n i never knew him prior to that job. Think the one on Hyndburn Rd was removed in late 50s.
Old 02-12-2012, 13:12   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Musta been mid 60s Barrie? Had a mate worked on the job n i never knew him prior to that job. Think the one on Hyndburn Rd was removed in late 50s.
Do you mean the old Macpelah on Hyndburn Rd, if so it was a lot later than the mid 1960's, it was when they cleared the area for the new superstore Focus, now Home Base , they built Aldi and a petrol station as well, part of Aldi's car park is over the site of the cemetery, what managed to be rescued of the old grave stones are now up New Lane Ossy. Atarah & I once photographed all those grave markers.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 13:24   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Do you mean the old Macpelah on Hyndburn Rd, if so it was a lot later than the mid 1960's, it was when they cleared the area for the new superstore Focus, now Home Base , they built Aldi and a petrol station as well, part of Aldi's car park is over the site of the cemetery, what managed to be rescued of the old grave stones are now up New Lane Ossy. Atarah & I once photographed all those grave markers.
Was meaning the one on Union st mate, in mid 60s? yer correct about Macphelah un though i was well out wi that. in fact union st un coulda been later n mid 60s?

Last edited by cashman; 02-12-2012 at 13:29.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:47   #27

My mum used to take me to some friends of hers on Union St in the early 50s they were called Albert & Ruby Nuttall.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 23:00   #28

I think the vet was Peter Hall. My auntie used to live next door in the 1950s - Dora Haworth. She looked after her uncle, Harry Wigglesworth, who was an invalid. She used to take me and my sister to a toffee shop further down the row, or occasionally to one on Bull Bridge. My Mum and Dad, Helen Haworth & John Addison, were married at Union Street Methodist Church on 20th March 1948. I was born 1st April 1949 and christened there. I remember the cobbled fronts to the cottages. Also, the sunken garden on Broadway is one of my earliest memories. There was a children's roundabout on Broadway on a Saturday afternoon and Uncle Dick was always around selling his wares - he had plenty of sales patter but I don't think his goods were up to much!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
You are probably right Cashy, I went in the RAF in '61, came home 3 or 4 times until late '63 when I was at Sheffield for 15 months and we came home most weekends from there, so I probably saw it sometime around then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..