Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2004, 08:18   #1
Senior Member+

Warmden

Hi, think we should have a new thread on this one. I am still thinking ... think the Warmden flows down from the hills maybe, then meets up with the River Hyndburn behind the Bridge Pub in Accrington - still thinking ....
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2004, 19:57   #2
Senior Member+

Warmden

Hi, bit more info on the Warmden.
The Warmden and the Woodnook streams join to form the River Hyndburn at the back of the Bridge Pub
If you are ever in that part of town, walk on the carpark at the back of the Bridge and if you look over a small wall, you will see a river going out of site, under a rounded arch. Underneath here is the two streams meet.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 08:05   #3
God Member

Re: Warmden

So if there had been no Woodnook stream then presumably Hyndburn (Borough Council) would be called Warmden now (or, conversely, Woodnook!)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 20:41   #4

The Gallery won't let me upload photos even from the smaller camera but you might like these photo some lads took underground

Warmden Grotto, Accrington - June 2010
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 20:46   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good photos wadey, but i can't imagine why anyone would want to trundle through yon.
Old 28-07-2011, 21:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, bit more info on the Warmden.
The Warmden and the Woodnook streams join to form the River Hyndburn at the back of the Bridge Pub
If you are ever in that part of town, walk on the carpark at the back of the Bridge and if you look over a small wall, you will see a river going out of site, under a rounded arch. Underneath here is the two streams meet.
A couple of photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0044.JPG (447.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0045.JPG (489.1 KB, 23 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 21:49   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
good photos wadey, but i can't imagine why anyone would want to trundle through yon.
We used to go under there as part of our training in search & rescue, you need a short extension ladder as well, bit of climbing to do.
There used to be an entrance in one of the alleyways in the old outdoor market, must be somewhere under Wilkinsons now or very near.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 22:04   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
We used to go under there as part of our training in search & rescue, you need a short extension ladder as well, bit of climbing to do.
There used to be an entrance in one of the alleyways in the old outdoor market, must be somewhere under Wilkinsons now or very near.
Retlaw
Thats a good reason, was referring to just trundling through, unless they can explain,
Old 28-07-2011, 22:09   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
So if there had been no Woodnook stream then presumably Hyndburn (Borough Council) would be called Warmden now (or, conversely, Woodnook!)
The joining of those two streams making the river Hyndburn, has been know since written documents first existed that refer to Ackrington.
In the Coucher Book of Kirkstall, a document dated 1193 names it as Hindeburn, one of the boundries in that document, also refers to the riuulum qui Anteleiasic. [Antley Brook]
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 08:40   #10
Senior Member+

Great photos Wadey. As you were wading through there, did you wonder if the ducks were waders. It was always my ambition to walk under these culverts but I never did, even in one very dry year. I am amazed at the quality of the brickwork. Whilst the culverts elsewhere in town will not be as high, there will be more of them as water is carried off the Coppice towards Peel St and Broadway.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..