Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: would you like the watermark enabled for gallery photos
yes please 10 83.33%
no thanks 1 8.33%
get lost 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 20:14   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Water mark

yes
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2013, 20:39   #17
Senior Member+

If it only puts a mark on for the gallery and not threads then its only protecting a section, so no, if it is right across the board, then yes.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:53   #18
Resting in Peace

Its not part of the site software the Gallery is an addon section and only comes with this section so cant be applied to the whole site
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Its not part of the site software the Gallery is an addon section and only comes with this section so cant be applied to the whole site
OK, its a no then.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
OK, its a no then.
That i don't understand. if it reduces the chances of some thief stealing someones picture, why would anyone object?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37   #21
Beacon of light

well, if the watermark doesn't apply to all sections of the forum, then any picture posted in any of the threads would still be at risk of being 'stolen'.

If a photographer(amateur or otherwise) really thinks that their work is of value to someone in a commercial sense, then it would be in their interests to watermark pictures themselves...and most editing programs have the facility to do this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
well, if the watermark doesn't apply to all sections of the forum, then any picture posted in any of the threads would still be at risk of being 'stolen'.

If a photographer(amateur or otherwise) really thinks that their work is of value to someone in a commercial sense, then it would be in their interests to watermark pictures themselves...and most editing programs have the facility to do this.
Understand that, but at least it would give the option of where a person wished to post a photo fer safe keeping? If software don't allow all areas, Then it seems peevish to me, to think that way. like i said earlier, it makes no odds to me, i can't/don't post photos, but just thinking of those that do. Don't forget some folk aint that computer savvy,
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43   #23
Senior Member+

The simple solution is for the member who want to watermark his/her photo is to watermark it themselves before posting.
The ones I post on here are usually free for all.
The software I use for watermarking the photos I post on the Commercial vehicle forums cost me about £21 and doesn't expire.

It all depends on the Mods allowing watermarks on individual photographs.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That i don't understand. if it reduces the chances of some thief stealing someones picture, why would anyone object?
I don't object, but it wont really have any effect on me, as most of my photos are posted on threads, but if it was put into play I would go along with it. So I suppose a better way to put it is, I am on the fence and would support whichever way it went.

The poll asked a straight yes or no, or a get lost option, I am to polite to say get lost, but another option should have been "I don't mind either way"
mobertol likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13   #25
Beacon of light

what I was trying to say Cashy was.....photo's in any part of the forum other than the gallery would not be given the protection of a watermark.........so any photo's posted anywhere else could be used without the owners permission(in effect stolen)...but the answer is to watermark your own pictures.
I have a couple of(bought) editing programs and both of them have this facility.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I don't object, but it wont really have any effect on me, as most of my photos are posted on threads, but if it was put into play I would go along with it. So I suppose a better way to put it is, I am on the fence and would support whichever way it went.

The poll asked a straight yes or no, or a get lost option, I am to polite to say get lost, but another option should have been "I don't mind either way"
Nah then, that makes sense.
Old 03-06-2013, 13:48   #27
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I personally can't see what the issue is, people have been blithely slapping up pics left, right & centre without any thought to "copyright protection" on an open forum. If you'd have been that concerned you'd have applied some form of watermark/trademark/ protection prior to posting up your happy snaps.

I understand that for reproduction of an item/article, requires the permission of the owner, but in all honesty how many of us truly follow protocol? How often have folk uploaded something to "share" on here that has been taken from the web without seeking said permission? After all it was somebody else's property initially.

Intellectual copyright is a good thing, but I believe it's a tad late now to be talking about protection as there's so much personal stuff already on display, if you've got concerns you need to be looking to protecting your property yourself & not relying on an outside agency.
Less, Restless and Gremlin like this.
Old 03-06-2013, 13:55   #28
Beacon of light

Nope......I only upload stuff that I or a family member has taken.
If I want to use a photograph taken by someone else, then I ask permission(and there is a very photgraphically active member on here who will corroborate this).

But yes, I believe that if you feel your picture has some sort of merit, then it is up to you to ensure it remains yours.
Old 03-06-2013, 14:08   #29
Senior Member+

there are some quality photos on here so I think it better with the option turned on
Old 03-06-2013, 14:30   #30
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Nope......I only upload stuff that I or a family member has taken.
Was thinking more of the you tube stuff, clips & music, but there are some funny "photos" that come to mind.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..