Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2010, 11:34   #16
Super Moderator

Re: were is this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh may be right, am trying hard to remember the layout of the owd streets, if the white bit is the river stink though, it must not be the culvert, as wasn't built then, yet it looks raised. thats throwing me big time.
I can't understand that bit, either, but those rows of houses look like the ones that were behind the cinema. What about the building in the top righthand corner? Is that not the works that was (and maybe still is) near the bottom of Dowry Street?
Old 29-01-2010, 11:39   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I can't understand that bit, either, but those rows of houses look like the ones that were behind the cinema. What about the building in the top righthand corner? Is that not the works that was (and maybe still is) near the bottom of Dowry Street?
don't think so, whittakers foundry was on next row up, opposite side, but it dont look like that to me.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:48   #18
Super Moderator

Oh well, maybe not, then. Still reckon that mill is on the site of what became the cinema. The identical church (?) building in the background clinches it for me. Wonder if anyone like Atarah or Retlaw can confirm that Broadway was built before the Regal?
Old 29-01-2010, 11:48   #19
God Member

It might not be Accy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:56   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Oh well, maybe not, then. Still reckon that mill is on the site of what became the cinema. The identical church (?) building in the background clinches it for me. Wonder if anyone like Atarah or Retlaw can confirm that Broadway was built before the Regal?
if it is that section,i reckon the mill is were the top gardens were, on basis that the river stink was not that high up? assume it ran under the odean?
Old 29-01-2010, 12:00   #21

Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Got me puzzled the layout seems a bit off.
I thought it was Marquis St at first but now I have my doubts, reposted picture with queries.
Retlaw.

REGARDING "WATERWHEEL" THINGY ON PICTURE,...LOOKS LIKE THE TOP OF THE OTHER LAMPOST TO ME
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 13:31   #22
God Member

Quote:
if it is that section,i reckon the mill is were the top gardens were, on basis that the river stink was not that high up? assume it ran under the odean?
It didn't run under the Odeon. I remember when the town hall side of Broadway had a fenced off section where the covered market later was.
The fence was vandalised with words 'dont let our boys die for the yanks in Korea' (helps with dating it), and behind that fence was a sunken wasteland area where the culvert was visible.

Last edited by MargaretR; 29-01-2010 at 13:38.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 14:12   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Attached is the area in 1909, look closely at Cobden St & Mason St, the properties were still there after the Regal/Odeon was built. I can remember Pot Fairs being held behind the Odeon.
The angles in the picture don't match with the street plan
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marquis St. 1909..jpg (408.1 KB, 46 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 14:23   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Perhaps whomever painted it did it from memory? n like me their memorys crap.
Old 29-01-2010, 14:30   #25
Super Moderator

Could the factory on the photograph not be the building just above the point of your arrow, Retlaw? Seem to remember that the street behind it, which is unnamed on the map, was called Cunliffe Street (if the cinema did indeed replace it on that site).
Old 29-01-2010, 14:31   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Perhaps whomever painted it did it from memory? n like me their memorys crap.
Its not a painting Cashy, Its a photograph thats been tinted.
Perhaps its not Accrington, but a picture left behind by a previous landlord.

Is there anything written on the back of it, or a title hidden by the frame.

Retlaw.
Old 29-01-2010, 14:33   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Its not a painting Cashy, Its a photograph thats been tinted.
Perhaps its not Accrington, but a picture left behind by a previous landlord.

Is there anything written on the back of it, or a title hidden by the frame.

Retlaw.
if its a photo then, i tend to think the same.
Old 29-01-2010, 14:38   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Could the factory on the photograph not be the building just above the point of your arrow, Retlaw? Seem to remember that the street behind it, which is unnamed on the map, was called Cunliffe Street (if the cinema did indeed replace it on that site).
Yes it was Cunliffe St, but when you look at the street plan and compare it with the photo there are no large buildings akin to mills on the plan looking in the area of the Odeon site.
I'm begining to think its nowhere near that area and were are being conned.
Retlaw
Old 29-01-2010, 14:59   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes it was Cunliffe St, but when you look at the street plan and compare it with the photo there are no large buildings akin to mills on the plan looking in the area of the Odeon site.
I'm begining to think its nowhere near that area and were are being conned.
Retlaw
So you don't reckon the building shown on the south side of Cunliffe St on the map is the factory in the picture? No, probably not...I'm also coming round to the conclusion that it's somewhere completely different which just looks like that area!
Old 29-01-2010, 15:46   #30
Resting in Peace

I still think it is Broadway and, the chapel, is the Whalley Road one too.

The street lamps (not water wheel .... tee hee .. Retlaw says I need specs) .. are of the style of other photographs of what is now Broadway, and in the same position.

Also, Bob Dobson talks in one of his books that the Regal cinema was built on the site of Myers Stable ... this does resemble more of a large stabling building ... not a mill ?

The streets look that they are ones running up to Cobman Street/Whalley Road. Mason Street, etc. Can't see where the first little street is named anywhere ?

Though Retlaw doesn't think there is a culvert there .. does seem to make sense with the run of the river.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..