Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2010, 16:12   #31
Super Moderator

Re: were is this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I still think it is Broadway and, the chapel, is the Whalley Road one too.

The street lamps (not water wheel .... tee hee .. Retlaw says I need specs) .. are of the style of other photographs of what is now Broadway, and in the same position.

Also, Bob Dobson talks in one of his books that the Regal cinema was built on the site of Myers Stable ... this does resemble more of a large stabling building ... not a mill ?

The streets look that they are ones running up to Cobman Street/Whalley Road. Mason Street, etc. Can't see where the first little street is named anywhere ?

Though Retlaw doesn't think there is a culvert there .. does seem to make sense with the run of the river.
Thanks, Kate, that's swung me back to my original theory - it's Broadway when it was first built.
Old 29-01-2010, 17:20   #32
I am Banned

[quote=katex;783481]I still think it is Broadway and, the chapel, is the Whalley Road one too.

The street lamps (not water wheel .... tee hee .. Retlaw says I need specs) .. are of the style of other photographs of what is now Broadway, and in the same position.
Ok Medusa.
I've put my specs on and reposted the picture with additions, and before you comment, look at the street plan I put up, and then the picture.
Show me exactly where Cobden St & Mason St on the plan, are shown in the picture.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo086.a.jpg (91.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-01-2010 at 17:27.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 19:50   #33

Hi.
Re Retlaws photo, taken from the roof of the Market Hall.
"if this is the River Stink....." is Broadway, there is lamp post on M&S side with its base on the pavement. Over the fence/wall where the lamp post is,is the culvert over the river which had a half round top it ran parallel to Cornhill. Atarah's photo (post 3) shows the continuation of it just visible over the wooden fence on this side of Broadway, as MargaretR states in post 22. Cobden St.is on the far left of the photo. Cunliffe St. is the one to the left of Myers Stables? Cunliffe St. (photo shows 2 & 1/2 houses) ran up the side of the Odeon.
The Chapel is the one on Whalley Rd. ( do'nt remember its name)(Wynonie post 14). I dont know what that foundry/factory is /was I never ventured that way.
Tetti
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 20:13   #34
Senior Member+

Here is a smashing view, which may help you to decipher things.

"Broadway was transformed beyond recognition during the course of the 20th century. The road layout altered in the 30's when Broadway was built to link Blackburn Road and Whalley Road. This opened summer of 1936. It involved the culverting of the river Hyndburn and the demolition of properties i.e. SPRING MILL buildings. Spring Mill was a HUGE town centre weaving mill. It was a four storey building and was purchased by the Corporation in 1920. Closed approx 1930. Complete demolition took place in the early 1930's. The old Thwaites pub on the corner of Broadway and Blackburd Rd was also demolished. The new cinema, the Odeon, opened 1937 (originally called The Regal)"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeforeBroadway1.jpg (61.7 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 29-01-2010 at 20:19.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 20:24   #35

I recon Atarah is right , ,and if its not in accy why is it with all the other accy pics ??
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 20:30   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
I recon Atarah is right , ,and if its not in accy why is it with all the other accy pics ??
ian
Me too ...

Do you think the chimney in the picture top right hand could be Queen's Mill ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 20:36   #37
Senior Member+

I don't think it is Broadway. Retlaw's 1909 plan helps . The street lamps do look as if they might be 1930s style, but could also be earlier. They appear to be electric rather than gas and are high up. The large building top right corner is nothing like anything in Whalley Rd area.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 20:38   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Great photo, where was it taken from? i think up past the Broadway pub somewhere.
Old 29-01-2010, 21:47   #39
Super Moderator

Definitely reckon it's Broadway now...and Atarah's picture proves it. The building in the original picture (Myers Stables?) is there for all to see in the middle of the second picture with the houses on Cunliffe St to the left of it.

Bob, you say there was nothing like the large builidng in the righthand corner of the original picture but, again, it's there on Atarah's picture in the lefthand corner.
Old 29-01-2010, 21:54   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Great photo, where was it taken from? i think up past the Broadway pub somewhere.
From that view I think it was taken from the upstairs window of a building on Blackburn Rd, About 3 or 4 buildings past the bank at the bottom of St James St.
Both pictures together.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeforeBroadway1.jpg (87.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Photo086.a.jpg (91.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-01-2010 at 21:56.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 21:56   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
From that view I think it was taken from the upstairs window of a building on Blackburn Rd, About 3 or 4 buildings past the bank at the bottom of St James St.
Both pictures together.
Retlaw.
wheres the Town Hall then?
Old 29-01-2010, 22:02   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Think it must've been taken from the back of the town hall, Cashy. You can actually see the windows in the top storey of the Broadway above those houses to the right of the building we're puzzling over. I assume these houses were demolished to builid those little gardens at the top left of Broadway?
Old 29-01-2010, 22:09   #43
Super Moderator

What do you reckon, Retlaw? Now you've put the two photos together, I'm convinced that building is the same. Even the arrangements of the skylights are the same - all the way along on the righthand section, halfway along on the lefthand section.
Old 29-01-2010, 22:10   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Think it must've been taken from the back of the town hall, Cashy. You can actually see the windows in the top storey of the Broadway above those houses to the right of the building we're puzzling over. I assume these houses were demolished to builid those little gardens at the top left of Broadway?
is that the culvert then oer river stink? running under road near top of telegraph pole. if so yer right i think.
Old 29-01-2010, 22:13   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
is that the culvert then oer river stink? running under road near top of telegraph pole. if so yer right i think.
Yeah, that's it, you can see it to the right of Broadway where it used to be exposed, before they built the "umbrella" open market in '61/'62. To the left of Broadway it continues but looks strangely flattened to my eyes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..