Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2010, 22:25   #46

Re: were is this ?

What did i start here then !!! Broadway it is then , ,i may get a pint out of this !!
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2010, 22:31   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
What did i start here then !!! Broadway it is then , ,i may get a pint out of this !!
ian
yeh deserve a pint its dead interesting to me.
Old 29-01-2010, 22:41   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wheres the Town Hall then?
To the RIGHT of the picture out of shot.
Do as Snakehead says an put thi pint deaun n pud thy glasses on.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 22:48   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
To the RIGHT of the picture out of shot.
Do as Snakehead says an put thi pint deaun n pud thy glasses on.
Retlaw.
wish i could put me pint down mate got me thinking just up to left of telegraph pole, would the little whiteish building wi 3 windows, be the factory that used to be the Dowry st picture palace?
Old 30-01-2010, 07:28   #50

Hi.
Thanks Atarah for the photo of the construction of Broadway with a view directly up Burnley Rd. showing the white gable end of the house next to petrol station at the end of Windsor St., to the left is St.Johns Church on the skyline. At first I thought the photo had been taken from roof of the Town Hall but now I agree with Retlaw that it was taken a little bit further back, probably the roof of the bank, showing the roof of the pub or the old Police Station (bottom left).
Tetti
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 08:17   #51
Super Moderator

Yep, cheers, Atarah, that's a fascinating photo. Have you any more of that area?

See what you mean about it being taken from the bank and not the Town Hall. STILL reckon the first photo is Broadway, though!
Old 30-01-2010, 10:28   #52
Senior Member+

Ace! I love these type of discussions, dont you? All these "super sleuths" on Accyweb! Nice one Ian1 !
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:49   #53
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
Hi.
Thanks Atarah for the photo of the construction of Broadway with a view directly up Burnley Rd. showing the white gable end of the house next to petrol station at the end of Windsor St., to the left is St.Johns Church on the skyline. At first I thought the photo had been taken from roof of the Town Hall but now I agree with Retlaw that it was taken a little bit further back, probably the roof of the bank, showing the roof of the pub or the old Police Station (bottom left).
Tetti
If you put a ruler on the 1909 map the line of Burnley Road and the realignment of Marquis St thro Spring Mill, it comes out nearer to Boots than to the bank, I don't think they went up on the roof, more like from an upstairs window.

Retlaw.
Old 30-01-2010, 13:01   #54

I think it is broadway surely the river was covered in front of what was to become the odeon so that bit looks OK? I think that the waterwheels are gas/electric lights and I don't think it is macpelah because it was the old mill next to it and that does not look like it
I am not often right these day's but it keeps the thread going
Tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 13:30   #55

Hi
OK Retlaw I'll agree with you it probably was taken from above Boot's (but the window nearest the bank) I used a biro to line up Burnley Rd. with the bank but it was a bit short and used "rack of eye" for the last bit, or you're using that wooden contraction rule that Charlie Moore gave you when you were an apprentice.
Wynonie these two photos are both of Broadway taken from different positions and different periods, there is a building that is common to both photos and thats the one with the gable front, 6 windows on the upper floor and 1 above that could have been used for loading goods to the loft. It's upper left in the old photo and upper right in Atarahs photo. Another buildlng that is common to the photos and the map is the one that runs between Cunliffe St. and Cobden St., the one with the " waterwheel " on its gable end,on the map it doe'snt say what it is could it be the Macpelah Chapel??
Tetti
Old 30-01-2010, 13:36   #56

Sorry I got it wrong with that building it should have read upper left in Atarahs photo annd upper right in the original.
Tetti
Old 30-01-2010, 13:40   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If you put a ruler on the 1909 map the line of Burnley Road and the realignment of Marquis St thro Spring Mill, it comes out nearer to Boots than to the bank, I don't think they went up on the roof, more like from an upstairs window.

Retlaw.
Presume you mean the old location of Boots, which was on Blackburn Road

Think though, has been taken from St. James's Chambers ... which, of course, are the offices above the bank and are pretty high up ... used to work in one of them.

Hey, unless some enterprising fireman with an interest in local history, used one of the ladders (now ya' going to tell me didn't have them then .. )
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 15:05   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Think though, has been taken from St. James's Chambers ... which, of course, are the offices above the bank and are pretty high up ... used to work in one of them.
The top floor of St James Chambers was part of the Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance office until Melbourne House was built.
The public entrance was that solid door between the shops next to where the Bata shoe shop was. Callers had a flight of steps to negotiate.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 15:21   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The top floor of St James Chambers was part of the Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance office until Melbourne House was built.
The public entrance was that solid door between the shops next to where the Bata shoe shop was. Callers had a flight of steps to negotiate.
Thought entrance was on St James St Margaret?
Old 30-01-2010, 15:54   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Presume you mean the old location of Boots, which was on Blackburn Road

Hey, unless some enterprising fireman with an interest in local history, used one of the ladders (now ya' going to tell me didn't have them then .. )
Eh up Snakehead, course we had ladders.

An it wsn't from above the bank the angles wrong,
Put your ruler on the map like I said.

Just be thankful I don't have access to the old turntable ladder any more, I would really frighten you to death on top of that, you would be shouting huey.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..