Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2010, 17:17   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: were is this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Eh up Snakehead, course we had ladders.

An it wsn't from above the bank the angles wrong,
Put your ruler on the map like I said.

Just be thankful I don't have access to the old turntable ladder any more, I would really frighten you to death on top of that, you would be shouting huey.

Retlaw.
Did put me ruler on the map, and understand where you are coming from ... just thought that St. James's Chambers may have stretched further along than the bank if you understand me . was sorta' agreeing with you.

Huey ... not sure... long time since a bloke took me to the heights of dizziness .. .might be worth a go ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2010, 23:43   #62
God Member

Surely any debate as to where this piccy was taken from can be settled by the simple process of triangulation? You don't need to be an expert in Eucidean geometry to work this one out - all you need is a printer (with enlargement), pencil, paper and protractor. Print the piccy, print an old map of the area (1909 OS should do) and then work out the angles from common points (the mid-point of the chapel/church roof in the background, the middle of ther building background, far top right)...easy.The base point is the middle of the bottom of the piccy. You should get to within 20ft, allowing for height.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 30-01-2010 at 23:47.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 23:48   #63
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Surely any debate as to where this piccy was taken from can be settled by the simple process of triangulation? You don't need to be an expert in Eucidean geometry to work this one out - all you need is a printer (with enlargement), pencil, paper and protractor. Print the piccy, print an old map of the area (1909 OS should do) and then work out the angles from common points (the mid-point of the chapel/church roof in the background, the middle of ther building background, far top right)...easy.the base point is the middle of the bottom of the piccy. You should get to within 20ft, allowing for height.
Already done that on the 1909 map, and got it down to between the bank and Boots Chemist on Blackburn Rd, and the elevation from a top story window.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 23:55   #64
God Member

How many refererence points did you use? (I only ask because it seems difficult for me to envisage the piccy being taken from Blackburn Road)
Old 31-01-2010, 00:17   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
How many refererence points did you use? (I only ask because it seems difficult for me to envisage the piccy being taken from Blackburn Road)
LOL Tealeaf ... don't think you need any clever geometrical calculations to work this one out .. just the base line/imagination will do .. then work out which buildings in the area were high enough for a photographer to grab a shot...
Old 31-01-2010, 00:32   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOL Tealeaf ... don't think you need any clever geometrical calculations to work this one out .. just the base line/imagination will do .. then work out which buildings in the area were high enough for a photographer to grab a shot...
Err...unfortunately, the camera lens will give a distorted image (thats why I suggested a base point of the bottom middle of ther picture). And that's why I suggested at least two more reference points, A simple straight line comperator is insufficient and may well result in an incorrect reading. The more reference points, the better.

You will probably have seen various historical films on the Royal Navy. When a sextant reading is taken, then more than one is taken by various people at the same time in order to get an average reading. The same principle applies here - if you want an accurate reading, then this is the only way to do it.
Old 31-01-2010, 00:59   #67
God Member

...and without doing the exact calculations, I make the photograph has being taken from the north-western corner of the market hall roof (but I've had a few jars now and my vision is slightly blurred)
Old 31-01-2010, 01:11   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...and without doing the exact calculations, I make the photograph has being taken from the north-western corner of the market hall roof (but I've had a few jars now and my vision is slightly blurred)
Well, tis Saturday night after all .. .. bit that way meself. Think there may be some confusion between Ian's photograph and the one Atarah gave us later.
Old 31-01-2010, 11:49   #69
I am Banned

Quote:
Your assumption is correct if you are refering to the first picture posted.
With the second picture it doesn't need Einstien or a sextant to work out where the only site it could be taken was, go and look.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 20:10   #70

Come on then own up , Who has been in Arden lookin at the picture ??
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 20:19   #71
Senior Member+

Bob Dobson and Atarah! tee hee
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20   #72

I have too, (I'm Ians mum)
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 17:47   #73
Senior Member+

Seeing the photo in the Arden has made my mind up. We are looking at Broadway in its very early days, perhaps 1934 before it was opened officially. We are seeing the culverted river passing under it. On the left of the pics is the roof of Whalley rd Methodist chapel (Kenyon St) and to the centre of the pic in the distance is the building in Dowry Str/Moore Street which started off as Pilkington's Engineering, became our first cinema and went back to become engineering. It was a tall, multi-windowed building which stood over the houses in Whalley Rd opposite the Hope & Anchor. The Odeon has not yet been built and the hoardings on the right side of Broadway are to remain there for many years.

The regulars around the bar all knew Atarah.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 23:46   #74
Senior Member+

The regulars around the bar all knew Atarah.

You are one cheeky person Mr Dobson! I nearly just choked on my coffee when I read that! Tee hee
Have also found out that Myers Stables (also undertakers) had the site where The Regal cinema was built.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 23:05   #75

been in today and they said "Historians have been in lookin at that photo" !
i still couldnt convince mi uncle it was broadway ,
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..