Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2004, 18:33   #31
Member.

Re: What's This?

I think your right there. It looks to be old though, Victorian?. I think it maybe a Romano British depiction.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2004, 18:47   #32
God Member

I would say that the majority of buildings in that area don't go back much further than 1860 - ish, give or take a few years. The Britannia is situated on the end of a terrace. So I would say that it is contemporary with the rest of the terrace.

You don't suppose that the building might have had a previous use not connected with the licensed trade? That could explain it possibly.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 18:48   #33
God Member

Romano British? You mean some sort of river deity?
Old 27-07-2004, 18:51   #34
Member.

Yep, there's 2 or 3 possibles, but I can't spell their Bl**** names.
Old 27-07-2004, 20:01   #35
God Member

Have a go, if you type what it sounds like, I will probably be able to guess.
Old 27-07-2004, 23:14   #36
mez
God Member

o eck youve got me puzzeled, come on on tea help
////
Old 28-07-2004, 04:01   #37
God Member

Well, you could have Sequana.
Verbeia was the personification of the River Wharfe.
Or you could have Brigantia who was the tutellary Goddess of this part of Britain.
Old 28-07-2004, 16:59   #38
God Member

Forget the Romans - what about Persephone,Greek goddess of the underworld?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 17:00   #39

I thought Sequana was godess of the River Seine and that Verbeia and Brigantia had Yorkshire connections rather than Lancastrian.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 19:38   #40
God Member

You are right about Sequana, though my understanding was that she was of Burgundian origin. Brigantia held sway over most of northern England.

Why would Persephone be lounging over the doorway of a Public House called 'The Britannia'?
Old 29-07-2004, 07:55   #41
God Member

I have'nt a clue...but look at the design again. Our "heroine" is reclining is reclining in what appears to be a cavern or vault of some sort....hence underworld. Maybe it was put there for decoration & nowt else, although I doubt it.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 10:49   #42

Looking at the photograph carefully, I have to agree that I don't think this is the original resting place of this particular sculpture. It really does look as if the stonework has been chipped away to accomodate the thing. I'm sure it would help identification if we were aware of its original location, but, I doubt very much we are going to find out where that was. Interesting stuff nevertheless.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 10:52   #43
Member.

How about couple of more shots to see if the insrcription gives any clues.
Old 29-07-2004, 17:19   #44
God Member

I will do better than that. I will pop in on Sunday afternoon and make enquiries of the Landlord, while sampling some of his wares - purely in the interests of research you understand.

I know what you mean Tealeaf, but I always felt that it actually had more of a feel of Victorian memorial/mourning cards. You know the sort of things that the bereaved family used to have printed to hand out to mourners so that they could have something to stick in their prayer books and thus remember the dear departed when they were in church. The arch and the spandrels (?) look more like an attempt at conveying a graphic device. If there is script on the arch then that would more or less confirm that supposition.
Old 28-08-2004, 08:23   #45
God Member

I think I may have found the solution to the puzzle. Eltham Palace in London carries a carving above the door which is similar to the one on the Britannia. It is titled 'Hospitality' Rather fitting for a pub, don't you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hospitality-Eltham Palace 1930.jpg (33.1 KB, 26 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..