Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2012, 20:44   #31

Re: Where could this be then...

Are you thinking these are like kitchen and bathroom extentions, but sort of joined back to back, or side to side type of thing with next door, and the gap in the middle and the end would be the two backyards (the washing appears to be at the end facing wall. The front of the houses would therefore be a continuous row of terrace. They do look very big though for back extensions. I thought they were some sort of indyustrial premises when I first saw them...the washing threw me.....
If so we would be looking for a row of terraced houses with some sort of allotments and a patch of spare land at the back.

Looking at the roof shapes there are a lot of terraced houses in the area around Blackburn Rd with those sort of roofs...college street, Park rd, tremellen st, etc etc

Bye the way have you tried BING maps. gives a very good 3D view from above ...better than the direct overhead view from above in Google maps, but not as good as google street view. You can sort of circle around like in a helicopter.... Might be easier to view..try it

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Then a post code or address then "birds eye view"

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 28-02-2012 at 20:47.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2012, 21:16   #32

Looking at the building ends...there seems to be a really big distance between the top floor window and the bottom floor window (usuall a kitchen and a bathroom???)...surely bigger than one would expect, and they seem so much taller than your bog standard two story terraces. If they are terraces maybe we should be looking for larger than normal types.....

Also are there only two buildings we can see? The right hand building seems to have four upstairs windows, of which a couple seem to be a funny shape. I thought I could see some drainpipes but the windows are maybe partly hidden by something which might jut out a little further than the left hand part of the building. Maybe suggesting more than 2 buildings.

Just another observation..

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 28-02-2012 at 21:24.
Old 28-02-2012, 21:18   #33
Resting In Peace

Definitely houses I would say. Look at the drainpipes on the first pair of houses, behind the child. They are coming out of a bathroom on the first floor (the smaller window) into the soil pipe which goes up to the roof and then down to the ground. The kitchen is probably below the bathroom and drains into that pipe as well. On the first floor is also a room, probably a bedroom, with an interesting arrangement of window panes. Below it and just visible is probably the back door.

Crossed with your last post - yes perhaps bigger and posher than normal.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 21:28   #34

Zoom in on the windows very closely and you can see what I mean...maybe L shaped. I think we can see two ends to the right hand building, and why arent there any windows in the side of the left hand building?

Last edited by Karateman; 28-02-2012 at 21:37.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:52   #35
Resting in Peace

This is difficult.
Are you sure it is in Accrington/Hyndburn, Phil and they weren't out visiting another town ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:48   #36
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Looking at the building ends...there seems to be a really big distance between the top floor window and the bottom floor window (usuall a kitchen and a bathroom???)...surely bigger than one would expect, and they seem so much taller than your bog standard two story terraces. If they are terraces maybe we should be looking for larger than normal types.....

Also are there only two buildings we can see? The right hand building seems to have four upstairs windows, of which a couple seem to be a funny shape. I thought I could see some drainpipes but the windows are maybe partly hidden by something which might jut out a little further than the left hand part of the building. Maybe suggesting more than 2 buildings.

Just another observation..

Phil
Quote:
Zoom in on the windows very closely and you can see what I mean...maybe L shaped. I think we can see two ends to the right hand building, and why arent there any windows in the side of the left hand building?
I'm almost certain those are drainpipes - you can see a small pipe leading in to the RH one from the smaller window, probably the bathroom, of the RH half of the building. The equivalent window on the LH half of the building is partially hidden by the LH drainpipe.

If you look at the roof line of the gable end and ridge on the LH pair of houses it suggests that the two back additions are joined together. Also the lack of windows in the side elevation is because the ?bedroom window is on the end facing outwards rather than on the side where it would be looking down into the well between the houses, also no windows downstairs because that would have been either the passage to the back door or part of the kitchen, which already has a window at the back, if the back door was in the kitchen.
Old 29-02-2012, 09:50   #37
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This is difficult.
Are you sure it is in Accrington/Hyndburn, Phil and they weren't out visiting another town ?
Kate beat me to it. I wonder if they were visiting another Bethel chapel somewhere, which might have been in the prefab-like building we can see behind the wagon.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:00   #38
Resting In Peace

May not have nailed the location but I can tell you a bit more about the wagon...

From the biog of the founder of the Bethel movement:

The revival tide rolled on through the cotton towns of Lancashire and in many of them Bethel churches were formed.

During this time the ‘Bethel Full Gospel Messenger’ magazine was launched and Gospel caravans were purchased for rural missions and a Bible College and Missionary Training Centre was opened in Bristol in 1931.

Seems Gospel caravans had been around for a while. Found these 2 photos on ebay showing Church Army caravans from 1904 and 1907, plus one from the John Rylands library in M/c from the late 19c.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gospel caravan.JPG (38.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg gospel caravan 2.JPG (55.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg gospel caravan 3.jpg (18.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 29-02-2012, 16:35   #39

Brill find Susie....

I must admit I am not 100% certain that it is in Accrington my instincts tell me it is but that is all.

Let me tell you a bit more history....My initial thoughts were that this was probably just before my mum got more heavily invoved with the Bethel/Christian movement in the area at the time ie ref the "Bethel Walking" when she was obviously committed to the faith.

My grandfather and also my Uncle were never Christians or followers of the faith or regular church goers like my mother was, so would not have gone to any of the campaigns to worship as such.

Hence I was thinking maybe they were perhaps chaperoning her or accompanying her on maybe her first, or one of her visits to one of the campaigns...she would only have been 19 ish....probably 10 in todays money....lol
Once she had joined the church she met a few of what were to be her lifelong girlfriends and they went everywhere together cycling to Burnley spreading the"word" and attending other local campaigns. She eventually met my father in 1942 at one of the Burnley campaigns and they were lifelong christians for ever after.
So I suppose it could be in Burnley perhaps (although it is not the 1940's), unless we can identify where in Accrington the revivalists had their base before opening the Bethel.

Most visiting companys' settled on Ellisons tenement if I remember..the Fair and such..but it doesn't seem to be that area. What about Ossy perhaps, there were a lot of missions around...John St Baptist I think and Emmanuel, Ernest st Church, and others all seem to come to mind, she used to go everywhere when she was younger.

Running out of ideas.....

Phil
Old 29-02-2012, 17:50   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I thought perhaps ossy? whatever, if it was it didn't work.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Brill find Susie....
Running out of ideas.....l
One of the problems of trying to google anything to do with the church in Accy is the fact that there a place called Church right next door which keeps skewing the search results...

I guess those Gospel caravans were horse drawn - do you think the horses had to be Christians?
Dobbin - the Protestant pony.
Old 01-03-2012, 22:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
One of the problems of trying to google anything to do with the church in Accy is the fact that there a place called Church right next door which keeps skewing the search results...

I guess those Gospel caravans were horse drawn - do you think the horses had to be Christians?
Dobbin - the Protestant pony.
More appropriately...a donkey...I believe they were christians......lol
Old 02-03-2012, 18:59   #43

OK guys, I think the general opinion is that it may not be in Accrington after all...my next guess would be Burnley then, but thats probably for another forum.....

I have another photo which might get your investagative hats on..and I know where this is in Accy.....Do you want me to post it?

Phil
Old 02-03-2012, 21:12   #44
Resting In Peace

Quote:

I have another photo which might get your investagative hats on..and I know where this is in Accy.....Do you want me to post it?

Phil

Go on then... keep us amused.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..