Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2004, 10:27   #31
God Member

Re: where is this one then ???

Refer to the piccy above.

For those of you who know Church, you are of course, looking at a photograph of what was until about 7 or 8 years ago, the Queens Hotel. This was a Matthew Brown/Lions pub, although in it's later years it was sold off as a free house. The building is now a private residence.

Bert has raised the idea that this was not originally built as a pub. I have to agree with them purely on heresay, as I have no evidence. The story I have been told is that the building was originally built as a judges residence for sittings at the county assizes which were part of the police station/court complex 50 yds away on Bank Street (located where the sheltered housing now stands). Maybe someone else can verify this story.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2004, 20:06   #32
Accrington Web Mascot

Doesn't look like your average pub arcitecture - but then what would I know! (Nice big house though).
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 11:14   #33
Resting in Peace

these are the last ones i have for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (71.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (62.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (77.7 KB, 32 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 12:16   #34
Caz
God Member

Terraced houses, Church St?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 14:19   #35
Senior Member+

Countess street?
Old 18-04-2004, 16:31   #36

Maden Street?
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 08:00   #37
God Member

Without giving away the location of the piccy on the left, I wonder if anyone would care to speculate on the reason for the naming of this particular terrace. Once again, I don't have any hard evidence - only a theory - but I'm pretty sure it will stand up. I'll give you a clue...earlier picture...Peel Hall.

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the earlier picture( above, page 1 of this thread) of the Sunday School, 1826. If this building is regarded as an educational rather than an ecclesiastical establisment, then it is of course the oldest educational building in Hyndburn. It is no longer used as such, and has'nt been for a long time. I'm surprised you missed it, Bert....you must have walked right past it last week.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 19-04-2004 at 08:07.
Old 19-04-2004, 10:43   #38

Was it St. James school...cannon st.?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 10:53   #39
God Member

None of the piccy's in this thread are in Accrington....you need to look further West, to the oldest constituent part of the Borough of Hyndburn.
Old 19-04-2004, 20:16   #40

Was it called Court View because it was across from a police station or was there a local court house there as well?
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 10:33   #41

I've been reading up from some Accy books, and came across a picture of the Church Police Station whilst it was quite young. What caught my eye was the name of the whole Police Station Complex. "County Police Station" and at the end, near to the stag were two shops, that have the stone plaque embeded over them. So I concluded that the name of the "County Police Station" was extended to the shops "County Mart"!

More to-morrow as I'll have to bring my info into the office first.

By the way, I also found the source of the story "The night the Canary Islands blew up", another Church epic!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 10:45   #42
God Member

So they were Cop Shops?
Old 14-06-2004, 11:26   #43

I am probably way off mark as I do not consider I am an expert for 'things on the ground' so to speak.

I am aware that Joseph Cunliffe was responsible for the odd building particularly circa the fire station in Manchester Road.

So that's is my guess.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..