Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2004, 13:14   #16

Re: Where Nori used to be

I remember catching that bus coming home from school, (paddock house) always wondered where it was!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2004, 14:17   #17

That they did have Willow. They use to have a single decker bus from Accy to "The Load of Mischief" before they use to use the double deckers. They all had the sign "Load of Mischief" on their rotary sign board at the front.

Occasionally, I use to go in the pub at lunchtimes when I worked at Allspeeds. I bet Mez also went in there, I know she went into the Hare & Hounds. Dingy little place with small rooms. That's when Thwaites woz Thwaites and not todays muck!! I think the Hare & Hounds was a Duttons pub.

How many of you remember the
Blackburn Breweries: Thwaites (for Mates), Duttons (for Gluttons) and if you could supp Lion's you could tame 'em!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2004, 18:10   #18
Resident Waffler

Which brewery was it that had the OBJ sign?

How long ago did you work at Allspeeds Darby?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 05:27   #19

Oh Be Joyfull (OBJ) was a Duttons bottled beer.

I worked at Allspeeds from 1965-1969, and still know a lot of the same guys who worked there when I did. Terry Ashton, Mick Prendergast, Jimmy Whittle, the Drinkwaters (Stan, Alan, and Frank - though Alan died some years ago) et al. Never seen Judy Butterworth though since 1969. See John Eberall from time to time.

Did you work there Willow?

Last edited by Darby; 29-09-2004 at 05:28.
Old 03-10-2004, 22:13   #20

I didnt work at Allspeads, but my brother did for a while, Kevin Gilmartin, also Gordon Ashworth, David Swindles, Harry Leigh, Barbara King, my mum worked in the canteen. I went to school with Mick Prendergast, does he still live in Clayton?. Hope somebody can find a photo of Load of Mischief, yes I remember the sign on the buses for Load of Mischief and of the Fortes Arms. Back then people gave directions with pubs . The Hare & Hounds was a Thwaites, pub when I was growing up. Accross the road from the Load of Mischief, was a print works called the Cambridge Press, run by Charlie Kilby, he used to travel from Blackpool every day, I think he might have been a director of Accrington Stanley. Sorry I have gone off the original subject here, but have to put them down while there still clear.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 22:20   #21
Resident Waffler

Sorry Darby, I somehow missed this.

No, I didn't work at Allspeeds but a lot of people who worked there were customers at the TSB (as was) where I worked, corner of Grimshaw St and Whalley Rd. I must have been there in the late 70s after I left Church branch.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:12   #22

My god, that reminds me. When I left Uk in 73, I didnt close my account at the TSB in Whalley Rd, I think there was still five bob in there. OBJ was Duttons Brewery.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:41   #23
Resident Waffler

If there was less than £1 in it Alan it would have been transferred to a bulk "sundries" account long ago. If you're ever in Accrington and can find your old book the Lloyds TSB there should be able to give you your 25p. All the old accounts from Clayton were transferred to Accy when the branch closed down. I know, I had to do it!

Old 05-10-2004, 09:42   #24
Resident Waffler

Do you remember the OBJ man on the side of a building which used to light up in sequence? First the O, then the OB, then the OBJ and then it flashed. There was a smiling face inside the O.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Do you remember the OBJ man on the side of a building which used to light up in sequence? First the O, then the OB, then the OBJ and then it flashed. There was a smiling face inside the O.
Yeah, That was down Blackburn on the Bay Horse Pub I think (on the roundabout where the Market hall now stands) or was it on the Boulevard? It was a good beer as well....quite strong if I remember
Old 05-10-2004, 11:10   #26
Resident Waffler

I don't remember where it was, just remember that there was one. It must have been an awful long time ago.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:14   #27

Just remembered an old commercial jingle:

OBJ, OBJ, finest drink in the world today,
Lifts you up when you are down,
You will never wear a frown,
Lift your glass and drink it down,
Dutton's, Oh be joyful.

More useless information from a man who can't remember his own telephone number but can remember stuff from years ago.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:57   #28

Thanks for the jingle...J...Jo....Whats your name?
Old 13-10-2004, 16:50   #29
Junior Member+

Yes, they DID put Load of Mischief on ordinary service buses. When they ran extra buses to Clayton at busy times they generally only went to the Load of Mischief. We never thought anything about it ! I suppose there was a temptation to put it on the front on a outing but I never saw it being done.When they demolished the Load of Mischief we were on our way back down south after a visit to family and we asked for a piece of the stone that they were throwing in the skips and we used it when we were having a patio made in a new garden in Suffolk. The house got sold years ago but I never drive past that house without thinking of Clayton !
Accy-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 18:39   #30

Thumbs up Re: Where Nori used to be

Last edited by Georgezz; 09-01-2005 at 14:39.
Georgezz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..