Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Bird feeding (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/bird-feeding-66902.html)

Barrie Yates 19-03-2016 07:50

Re: Bird feeding

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164230)
I agree Barrie, it's a perfect way for containing homemade foodstuff, sadly I have marauding squirrels that take or destroy anything I use to feed my feathered friends. The pigeons also upset my feeders. Another issue is the kestrel. If the birds spend too long in one place feeding [I move my birdtable from time to time] they are fair game for a predators lunch. I used to put out feeders for peanuts etc. but then I would find feathers and such next day as another one bites the dust. We also have a local cat that nabs anything from blue tits to pigeons and, would you believe, a squirrel! I know this for certain as he or she takes them into the open building to eat, leaving me the debris. I'm rather at my wits end as to how I can enjoy my birds these days. All suggestions would be so appreciated. Help! daisybeth.

I have set up my feeder so that the pigeons cant perch to get at the tray feeder, the squirrels have to climb a greasy pole, so no real problem anymore - I used molybdenum grease on the pole and cats were the bane of my life. I don;t like them - not just for the predation but their leavings in the flower beds really wound me up. I bought some plants that keep the cats away - can't remember the name but will be getting some more in the next few weeks - i will let you know the name, they are very effective.

maxthecollie 19-03-2016 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1164249)
I have set up my feeder so that the pigeons cant perch to get at the tray feeder, the squirrels have to climb a greasy pole, so no real problem anymore - I used molybdenum grease on the pole and cats were the bane of my life. I don;t like them - not just for the predation but their leavings in the flower beds really wound me up. I bought some plants that keep the cats away - can't remember the name but will be getting some more in the next few weeks - i will let you know the name, they are very effective.

Get a dog. Max will happily sit out and keep pigeons and cats away.

daisybeth 19-03-2016 08:21

Good morning Barrie, many thanks for your words of advice. I'd be glad to hear of the cat deterring plant. A slightly relieved daisybeth!

daisybeth 19-03-2016 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1164252)
Get a dog. Max will happily sit out and keep pigeons and cats away.

Hi maxthecollie, so glad that your dog sorts out the pigeon problem. My pigeons are very thick skinned. I have four dogs and the pigeons still persist, the dogs chasing around have no effect, in fact a nest is already being built in the conifer close to the house as usual, inspite of we humans trying to deter them also. Sad to say ,I think the cats do better to at 'removing ' the pigeons, and no the cat isn't at all put off by the dogs either. Got the wrong dogs it would seem! daisybeth.

DaveinGermany 19-03-2016 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164151)
greedy feeders [pigeons in my garden]

.22 Air Rifle with a scope & Mrs Beetons Pigeon pie recipe should sort your problem & gives a tasty treat to boot! :s_aim1:

daisybeth 19-03-2016 10:53

Guten morgen? daveingermany. Now the chuckles have subsided, I have to admit that your suggestion was top of my list several years ago. Unfortunately the hubby won't let me use his .22, nor does he like to eat pigeon pie, and my cooking isn't so great anyway. Still, maybe after another year of scooping pigeon poop from the paving he might just relent. I,m pretty fair at target shooting............... daisybeth.

DaveinGermany 19-03-2016 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164270)
Guten morgen? daveingermany. Now the chuckles have subsided, I have to admit that your suggestion was top of my list several years ago.

Great minds & all that! I'd suggest the same for the cats, but you'd need to use Ken Homs Chinky cook book for recipes though, anything that says "Chicken in the ingredients should suit. :s_aim1:

daisybeth 21-03-2016 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1164299)
Great minds & all that! I'd suggest the same for the cats, but you'd need to use Ken Homs Chinky cook book for recipes though, anything that says "Chicken in the ingredients should suit. :s_aim1:

Follow that! Can't.

shillelagh 23-03-2016 16:59

1 Attachment(s)
I can :p

Barrie Yates 23-03-2016 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164270)
Guten morgen? daveingermany. Now the chuckles have subsided, I have to admit that your suggestion was top of my list several years ago. Unfortunately the hubby won't let me use his .22, nor does he like to eat pigeon pie, and my cooking isn't so great anyway. Still, maybe after another year of scooping pigeon poop from the paving he might just relent. I,m pretty fair at target shooting............... daisybeth.

Pigeon stuffed with plums and then roasted is quite nice, but pluck and clean first:)

kestrelx 23-03-2016 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164230)
I agree Barrie, it's a perfect way for containing homemade foodstuff, sadly I have marauding squirrels that take or destroy anything I use to feed my feathered friends. The pigeons also upset my feeders. Another issue is the kestrel. If the birds spend too long in one place feeding [I move my birdtable from time to time] they are fair game for a predators lunch. I used to put out feeders for peanuts etc. but then I would find feathers and such next day as another one bites the dust. We also have a local cat that nabs anything from blue tits to pigeons and, would you believe, a squirrel! I know this for certain as he or she takes them into the open building to eat, leaving me the debris. I'm rather at my wits end as to how I can enjoy my birds these days. All suggestions would be so appreciated. Help! daisybeth.

Even well fed cats kill birds as they don't do it for food.
Some one said a powerful water pistol will get rid of cats after repeated use (and it doesn't kill them) - as they don't like water. But a more expensive answer, though I haven't tried one, is the RSPB sonic cat deterrent:

Catwatch Cat deterrent | RSPB Wild Bird Care | RSPB Shop

Less 23-03-2016 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1164299)

Rubbish! How the heck can I translate, 'take a full chicken and insert into a slow cooker', into, 'take a full tiger and insert into a slow cooker'?

:confused:

DaveinGermany 23-03-2016 19:10

Get a bigger slow cooker! :D

Less 23-03-2016 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1164599)
Get a bigger slow cooker! :D

Is that really the best you can do?

I expected far better, here I am with a backlog of cats (and feeling guilty that had I not killed them there would be less pigeons), all you can suggest is for me to increase global warming by having a special slow cooker built?

Some people, huh, no real responsibility, always pushing the need for a solution onto others, typical!
:o

maxthecollie 23-03-2016 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1164590)
Even well fed cats kill birds as they don't do it for food.
Some one said a powerful water pistol will get rid of cats after repeated use (and it doesn't kill them) - as they don't like water. But a more expensive answer, though I haven't tried one, is the RSPB sonic cat deterrent:

Catwatch Cat deterrent | RSPB Wild Bird Care | RSPB Shop

Jet wash works for me