Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Bird feeding (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/bird-feeding-66902.html)

Accyexplorer 01-01-2015 09:28

Bird feeding

First things first HAPPY NEW YEAR :alright:

It's that time of year when we may have left over food and instead of just binning it I want to encourage folk to feed it our wild birds.The little cherubs will have a go at most things from Yorkshire puds to bacon rinds :eek:

I usually leave breadcrumbs and a few mixed bird seed with a small container of water but this year I made some hanging fatballs too,though my bird visitors tend to consist of mainly magpies or pigeons and not the robins, tits, finches etc that I would prefer.

Does anyone else feed the birds and what sorts do you get visiting your garden?

Sunflower49 01-01-2015 10:54

Re: Bird feeding

I do. I have a very cheap and cheerful bird feeder shaped like an orange

http://angelhousenewport.co.uk/media...angefeeder.jpg

Similar to this. I put all sorts in it. Have a robin (I am sure It's the same one) visit regularly and in the summer a lot of songbirds.

Squirrels seem to like it too, though.

Greeny 01-01-2015 11:01

I put out raisins ( these get eaten first ) , suet , seeds and nuts a get a few blackbirds and either starlings or wrens not sure . But then cheeky pigeons come along.

maxthecollie 01-01-2015 14:23

We put out mixed seed, pastry, bread, sunflower hearts and fat balls. We tend to get all varieties of tits, hundreds of house sparrows, a robin and very rarely long tailed tits. The sparrows all lin up for a bath at the same time every day.

maxthecollie 01-01-2015 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1127922)

Similar to this. I put all sorts in it. Have a robin (I am sure It's the same one) visit regularly and in the summer a lot of songbirds.

We have the apple variety of this feeder. The birds haven't got used to it yet.

Rowlf 01-01-2015 14:48

I have a two bird tables and a couple of seed containers which I put sunflower hearts in.
There are robins usually two at a time, up to 6 gold finches at a time, green finch, blue tits,great tits, sparrows, starlings or heavy gang as I call them, occasionally a wren and about 4 times this last year a sparrow hawk has swooped down took a pigeon. Two collared doves come regularly too. So not bad really to say I live in a town. I have a bird bath too which they love both for drinking water and bathing. I buy mixed seed and the sunflower hearts and also put brown bread,suet and dried fruit out too.

Turtle 01-01-2015 14:58

I'm ashamed to say I haven't put my feeder out this year - yet. Next grocery shopping I will stock up on seed and suet cakes for sure! I normally see Bluejays, cardinals, juncos and chickadees just to name a few of the Southern Ontario birds from around here :)

Accyexplorer 02-01-2015 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1127922)

I'd encourage the squirrels,I enjoy watching them work out ways of getting the nuts from feeders etc.
Our peg bought a (very similar) bird feeder but the birds just don't seem interested (maybe the odd wood pigeon),saying that my homemade fat balls have been up for days now and as far as I can tell they look relatively untouched too.
I'm wondering if it is too close for the birds to feel comfy :confused: I placed the feeder approximately 10 feet from the backdoor as I wanted to take a few photo's of them feeding/bathing.
It may be worth moving it nearer the hedge growth were they'll feel safer or maybe the fussy blighters just aren't interested in my offerings :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeny (Post 1127924)
I put out raisins ( these get eaten first ) , suet , seeds and nuts a get a few blackbirds and either starlings or wrens not sure . But then cheeky pigeons come along.

I never thought of putting raisins out for the little blighters.....i'll definitely be trying them.
If they are getting eaten first there must be something about them that they really like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1127958)
We put out mixed seed, pastry, bread, sunflower hearts and fat balls. We tend to get all varieties of tits, hundreds of house sparrows, a robin and very rarely long tailed tits. The sparrows all lin up for a bath at the same time every day.

I've seen your pics Frank......one word.....jealous ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1127960)
I have a two bird tables and a couple of seed containers which I put sunflower hearts in.
There are robins usually two at a time, up to 6 gold finches at a time, green finch, blue tits,great tits, sparrows, starlings or heavy gang as I call them, occasionally a wren and about 4 times this last year a sparrow hawk has swooped down took a pigeon. Two collared doves come regularly too. So not bad really to say I live in a town. I have a bird bath too which they love both for drinking water and bathing. I buy mixed seed and the sunflower hearts and also put brown bread,suet and dried fruit out too.

I've seen a sparrow hawk take a pigeon around the Arden hall area (very impressive to watch).
Like you say, it's not a bad collection for a town garden.
I think, putting a bit of water out is essential too (many folk forget this) I'll be trying raisins and sultanas out in next couple of days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1127961)
I'm ashamed to say I haven't put my feeder out this year - yet. Next grocery shopping I will stock up on seed and suet cakes for sure! I normally see Bluejays, cardinals, juncos and chickadees just to name a few of the Southern Ontario birds from around here :)

That sounds like a nice array of birds you have over there T but are they as aesthetically pleasing as my pigeons and magpies :D

DaveinGermany 02-01-2015 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1128020)
I've seen a sparrow hawk take a pigeon around the Arden hall area

A feathery guided tour? :D

ossy kid 02-01-2015 19:06

Love to feed the birds problem is we have a stream running through the complex and a large feed store across the road so if we put food out for the birds it also attracts the rats.

south aussie 02-01-2015 21:56

After 47 degrees yesterday our local parrots were happy to drink and splash around in the dish of water we put out in the garden for them.
Cool change today,only 38 degrees forecast.

Accyexplorer 03-01-2015 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1128066)
Love to feed the birds problem is we have a stream running through the complex and a large feed store across the road so if we put food out for the birds it also attracts the rats.

I guess even rats are wildlife,admittedly,not as pleasing though ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 1128082)
After 47 degrees yesterday our local parrots were happy to drink and splash around in the dish of water we put out in the garden for them.
Cool change today,only 38 degrees forecast.

With them temps,I'm surprised it wasn't the Emu trying to splash about in your dish of water.

Parrots are Beautiful (very photogenic) not to mention intelligent and resourceful, I bet it's great seeing them in their natural habitat.....jealous :D

jelly baby 03-01-2015 12:31

We get blue tits, long tailed tits, coal tits, robins, thrushes, blackbirds and a pair of blue jays have been around for the last couple of weeks, and of course, the ubiquitous magpies and pigeons.
Jb x

Eric 03-01-2015 15:33

We have Snowy Owls in spades ... one on my garage roof yesterday ... (maybe I should keep my camera a little more handy) ... gorgeous birds, and they take care of their own feeding. Lots of nervous squirrels around.:D

Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario - Windsor - CBC News

south aussie 04-01-2015 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1128098)
I guess even rats are wildlife,admittedly,not as pleasing though ;)

With them temps,I'm surprised it wasn't the Emu trying to splash about in your dish of water.

Parrots are Beautiful (very photogenic) not to mention intelligent and resourceful, I bet it's great seeing them in their natural habitat.....jealous :D

Maybe a little less natural habitat now,after the catastrophic bushfire raging through the Adelaide Hills.
No lives lost yet,but the fire is still burning after 3 days and no sign of it
being under control.