Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Bird feeding (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/bird-feeding-66902.html)

Accyexplorer 01-01-2015 09:28

Bird feeding

First things first HAPPY NEW YEAR :alright:

It's that time of year when we may have left over food and instead of just binning it I want to encourage folk to feed it our wild birds.The little cherubs will have a go at most things from Yorkshire puds to bacon rinds :eek:

I usually leave breadcrumbs and a few mixed bird seed with a small container of water but this year I made some hanging fatballs too,though my bird visitors tend to consist of mainly magpies or pigeons and not the robins, tits, finches etc that I would prefer.

Does anyone else feed the birds and what sorts do you get visiting your garden?

Sunflower49 01-01-2015 10:54

Re: Bird feeding

I do. I have a very cheap and cheerful bird feeder shaped like an orange

http://angelhousenewport.co.uk/media...angefeeder.jpg

Similar to this. I put all sorts in it. Have a robin (I am sure It's the same one) visit regularly and in the summer a lot of songbirds.

Squirrels seem to like it too, though.

Greeny 01-01-2015 11:01

I put out raisins ( these get eaten first ) , suet , seeds and nuts a get a few blackbirds and either starlings or wrens not sure . But then cheeky pigeons come along.

maxthecollie 01-01-2015 14:23

We put out mixed seed, pastry, bread, sunflower hearts and fat balls. We tend to get all varieties of tits, hundreds of house sparrows, a robin and very rarely long tailed tits. The sparrows all lin up for a bath at the same time every day.

maxthecollie 01-01-2015 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1127922)

Similar to this. I put all sorts in it. Have a robin (I am sure It's the same one) visit regularly and in the summer a lot of songbirds.

We have the apple variety of this feeder. The birds haven't got used to it yet.

Rowlf 01-01-2015 14:48

I have a two bird tables and a couple of seed containers which I put sunflower hearts in.
There are robins usually two at a time, up to 6 gold finches at a time, green finch, blue tits,great tits, sparrows, starlings or heavy gang as I call them, occasionally a wren and about 4 times this last year a sparrow hawk has swooped down took a pigeon. Two collared doves come regularly too. So not bad really to say I live in a town. I have a bird bath too which they love both for drinking water and bathing. I buy mixed seed and the sunflower hearts and also put brown bread,suet and dried fruit out too.

Turtle 01-01-2015 14:58

I'm ashamed to say I haven't put my feeder out this year - yet. Next grocery shopping I will stock up on seed and suet cakes for sure! I normally see Bluejays, cardinals, juncos and chickadees just to name a few of the Southern Ontario birds from around here :)

Accyexplorer 02-01-2015 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1127922)

I'd encourage the squirrels,I enjoy watching them work out ways of getting the nuts from feeders etc.
Our peg bought a (very similar) bird feeder but the birds just don't seem interested (maybe the odd wood pigeon),saying that my homemade fat balls have been up for days now and as far as I can tell they look relatively untouched too.
I'm wondering if it is too close for the birds to feel comfy :confused: I placed the feeder approximately 10 feet from the backdoor as I wanted to take a few photo's of them feeding/bathing.
It may be worth moving it nearer the hedge growth were they'll feel safer or maybe the fussy blighters just aren't interested in my offerings :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeny (Post 1127924)
I put out raisins ( these get eaten first ) , suet , seeds and nuts a get a few blackbirds and either starlings or wrens not sure . But then cheeky pigeons come along.

I never thought of putting raisins out for the little blighters.....i'll definitely be trying them.
If they are getting eaten first there must be something about them that they really like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1127958)
We put out mixed seed, pastry, bread, sunflower hearts and fat balls. We tend to get all varieties of tits, hundreds of house sparrows, a robin and very rarely long tailed tits. The sparrows all lin up for a bath at the same time every day.

I've seen your pics Frank......one word.....jealous ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1127960)
I have a two bird tables and a couple of seed containers which I put sunflower hearts in.
There are robins usually two at a time, up to 6 gold finches at a time, green finch, blue tits,great tits, sparrows, starlings or heavy gang as I call them, occasionally a wren and about 4 times this last year a sparrow hawk has swooped down took a pigeon. Two collared doves come regularly too. So not bad really to say I live in a town. I have a bird bath too which they love both for drinking water and bathing. I buy mixed seed and the sunflower hearts and also put brown bread,suet and dried fruit out too.

I've seen a sparrow hawk take a pigeon around the Arden hall area (very impressive to watch).
Like you say, it's not a bad collection for a town garden.
I think, putting a bit of water out is essential too (many folk forget this) I'll be trying raisins and sultanas out in next couple of days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1127961)
I'm ashamed to say I haven't put my feeder out this year - yet. Next grocery shopping I will stock up on seed and suet cakes for sure! I normally see Bluejays, cardinals, juncos and chickadees just to name a few of the Southern Ontario birds from around here :)

That sounds like a nice array of birds you have over there T but are they as aesthetically pleasing as my pigeons and magpies :D

DaveinGermany 02-01-2015 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1128020)
I've seen a sparrow hawk take a pigeon around the Arden hall area

A feathery guided tour? :D

ossy kid 02-01-2015 19:06

Love to feed the birds problem is we have a stream running through the complex and a large feed store across the road so if we put food out for the birds it also attracts the rats.

south aussie 02-01-2015 21:56

After 47 degrees yesterday our local parrots were happy to drink and splash around in the dish of water we put out in the garden for them.
Cool change today,only 38 degrees forecast.

Accyexplorer 03-01-2015 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1128066)
Love to feed the birds problem is we have a stream running through the complex and a large feed store across the road so if we put food out for the birds it also attracts the rats.

I guess even rats are wildlife,admittedly,not as pleasing though ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 1128082)
After 47 degrees yesterday our local parrots were happy to drink and splash around in the dish of water we put out in the garden for them.
Cool change today,only 38 degrees forecast.

With them temps,I'm surprised it wasn't the Emu trying to splash about in your dish of water.

Parrots are Beautiful (very photogenic) not to mention intelligent and resourceful, I bet it's great seeing them in their natural habitat.....jealous :D

jelly baby 03-01-2015 12:31

We get blue tits, long tailed tits, coal tits, robins, thrushes, blackbirds and a pair of blue jays have been around for the last couple of weeks, and of course, the ubiquitous magpies and pigeons.
Jb x

Eric 03-01-2015 15:33

We have Snowy Owls in spades ... one on my garage roof yesterday ... (maybe I should keep my camera a little more handy) ... gorgeous birds, and they take care of their own feeding. Lots of nervous squirrels around.:D

Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario - Windsor - CBC News

south aussie 04-01-2015 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1128098)
I guess even rats are wildlife,admittedly,not as pleasing though ;)

With them temps,I'm surprised it wasn't the Emu trying to splash about in your dish of water.

Parrots are Beautiful (very photogenic) not to mention intelligent and resourceful, I bet it's great seeing them in their natural habitat.....jealous :D

Maybe a little less natural habitat now,after the catastrophic bushfire raging through the Adelaide Hills.
No lives lost yet,but the fire is still burning after 3 days and no sign of it
being under control.

Accyexplorer 04-01-2015 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 1128246)
Maybe a little less natural habitat now,after the catastrophic bushfire raging through the Adelaide Hills.
No lives lost yet,but the fire is still burning after 3 days and no sign of it
being under control.

I heard 2elderly folk are missing (hopefully just taking refuge),12+ homes have been destroyed and quite a number of Dogs and cats have been killed as the fire ripped through boarding kennels an that's not mentioning the other poor animals caught up in the blaze.....So sad :(

kestrelx 06-01-2015 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1128166)
We have Snowy Owls in spades ... one on my garage roof yesterday ... (maybe I should keep my camera a little more handy) ... gorgeous birds, and they take care of their own feeding. Lots of nervous squirrels around.:D

Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario - Windsor - CBC News

They used to breed on Orkney but I don't think they do anymore as there is no longer enough snow for long enough (Global Warming! Inspite of Harry Potter) Last time was in 1975 apparently...

Eric 06-01-2015 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1128661)
They used to breed on Orkney but I don't think they do anymore as there is no longer enough snow for long enough (Global Warming! Inspite of Harry Potter) Last time was in 1975 apparently...

Pity. They are absolutely beautiful ... and I'm a big fan of owls ... my favorite bird. We have decent snow cover now (after a snow free Christmas) and temps on the cool side (into the -20s at nite ... -40s on the Prairies:cool:); so they probably feel at home here. We don't have lemmings; but, no doubt, they enjoy a good feed of squirrel.:D

Sunflower49 07-01-2015 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1127959)
We have the apple variety of this feeder. The birds haven't got used to it yet.

I looked at the apple one when buying the orange, It seemed to be a bit too much like hard work;) the orange one's just open and you can chuck whatever you like into it, which pleases my lazy nature.

I have also hung up a more traditional bird feeder with seeds inside a container, now. Mr Sunflower thinks I'm crackers because I will go into the kitchen to do something supposedly useful and get distracted by the birds because I like watching them so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1128020)
I'd encourage the squirrels,I enjoy watching them work out ways of getting the nuts from feeders etc.

Oh I don't mind them at all. Any wildlife is welcome by me and they're very cute.
I've heard recently some things like we shouldn't feed birds certain things but I'm not sure I buy it, I'll put more or less any scraps out for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1128166)

My parents get owls too . I am jealous!Bit too urban where I live.

I must buy a bird bath and a bird house before spring hits. I miss where I used to live sometimes because it had a flat roof on the extension which also served as somewhere to sit out at night. I used to like sitting out there and bat-watching. Not seen one around here.

Eric 07-01-2015 01:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1128719)
I used to like sitting out there and bat-watching. Not seen one around here.

I got me a bat house on my garage ... bats are great for keeping the skeeters at bay ... and I usually have Purple Martins around in Summer. They, too, like feeding on the skeeters ... they are the day shift, and the bats, the nite.:D

Accyexplorer 07-01-2015 06:16

A friend of mine gets owls visiting (I think they're barn owls) I don't get them near mine (as S49 says too urban),I couldn't believe it when he told me the droppings were from a owl (similar size to a small dog) :eek:.

As for my garden,after putting the pre-mentioned offerings closer to the fence/tree line and adding some raisins and mealworms,I've had 2 common blackbirds,a crew of sparrows (approx 8) a few yellow tits (3) and I'm sure I seen a robbin but it was too quick on its toes for me to get a proper look :alright:

Rowlf 07-01-2015 12:03

Try some sunflower hearts .The goldfinches and green finches love them. I never saw these birds till I started using the sunflower seeds. The hearts are better because you don't get the black shells under the feeders. They go through so many I am going to put their rent up !!

Accyexplorer 11-12-2015 21:50

Just a reminder folks,it's that time again when the little cherubs may need a helping hand to bulk up before spring when the immigrants arrive and take over their nest sites and steal all their bugs ;)

maxthecollie 12-12-2015 08:51

Our two nuthatches are now regular visitors at front and back of our house, along with blue tits, coal tits,great tits, robins and blackbirds. Max keeps the vermin out (pigeons)

daisybeth 17-03-2016 07:41

Re bird feeding entries. Go cheap [cheep!] to feed your feathered friends. Try melting a little lard in a saucepan then add any old bisciut/cake/bread crumbs, even broken dog biscuits. Mix in any cereal flakes and/or small oatmeal, chopped dried fruit [easier for the little darlings to grab], and don't forget any chopped nuts. Mix well and spoon small portions into bags so as not take too much to the bird table each day. This crumbly mixture prevents greedy feeders [pigeons in my garden] from taking it all. Bon apetit, birdies.

Rowlf 17-03-2016 20:46

Sounds like a nice feast Daisybeth. I find the large bags of birdseed from Home Bargains are very economical and seem to go down well with my visitors. I mix in some of those pellets too . I had a small bird a couple of weeks ago that I have never seen before and had to get my bird book out to identify it. turned out to be a Gold Crest. Lovely little thing. Apparently the smallest bird in Europe. I always thought that was the wren. It was not on the bird table though. He (or She) was popping in and out of a little Box bush infront of the kitchen window looking for insects I suppose. I also had a few long tailed tits the same day. Havent had them for ages. This week I noticed a chaffinch not had one of those before either. I love watching them all.

daisybeth 18-03-2016 08:00

Hi Rowlf, good to hear of your visiting Goldcrest, we had one in the garden last year. Our rarest visitor has been a Blackcap and my most thrilling sight was a Barn owl which swooped low enough [only ten feet away] as we sat on the garden bench at dusk.

Barrie Yates 18-03-2016 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164151)
Re bird feeding entries. Go cheap [cheep!] to feed your feathered friends. Try melting a little lard in a saucepan then add any old bisciut/cake/bread crumbs, even broken dog biscuits. Mix in any cereal flakes and/or small oatmeal, chopped dried fruit [easier for the little darlings to grab], and don't forget any chopped nuts. Mix well and spoon small portions into bags so as not take too much to the bird table each day. This crumbly mixture prevents greedy feeders [pigeons in my garden] from taking it all. Bon apetit, birdies.

Suggest you use vegetable suet rather than lard - melt it stir in the seed and then spoon into a coconut half shell.

daisybeth 18-03-2016 17:06

I agree Barrie, it's a perfect way for containing homemade foodstuff, sadly I have marauding squirrels that take or destroy anything I use to feed my feathered friends. The pigeons also upset my feeders. Another issue is the kestrel. If the birds spend too long in one place feeding [I move my birdtable from time to time] they are fair game for a predators lunch. I used to put out feeders for peanuts etc. but then I would find feathers and such next day as another one bites the dust. We also have a local cat that nabs anything from blue tits to pigeons and, would you believe, a squirrel! I know this for certain as he or she takes them into the open building to eat, leaving me the debris. I'm rather at my wits end as to how I can enjoy my birds these days. All suggestions would be so appreciated. Help! daisybeth.

Rowlf 18-03-2016 21:14

I dont know what to suggest Daisybeth. I have heard folk say a cat will not kill birds if it is well fed but I think that is rubbish. It is an instinct in them to stalk things so I do not see how that can be stopped. As for the feeders. I have a wooden one with a roof on that is quite open so an occassional squirrel does get in there and they also have made a mess of plastic seed feeders trying to get the sunflower hearts. I also have a plastic type feeder with a roof that is adjustable which is great. We have it very low so nothing but small birds like sparrows and robins can get into the food so the 'heavy gang' i.e. starlings cannot get in. The roof is sloping and it is comical to watch larger birds trying to get at the food and sliding down the roof. I hope you find some way of protecting your feathered friends from harm and can still enjoy watching them.

Barrie Yates 19-03-2016 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164230)
I agree Barrie, it's a perfect way for containing homemade foodstuff, sadly I have marauding squirrels that take or destroy anything I use to feed my feathered friends. The pigeons also upset my feeders. Another issue is the kestrel. If the birds spend too long in one place feeding [I move my birdtable from time to time] they are fair game for a predators lunch. I used to put out feeders for peanuts etc. but then I would find feathers and such next day as another one bites the dust. We also have a local cat that nabs anything from blue tits to pigeons and, would you believe, a squirrel! I know this for certain as he or she takes them into the open building to eat, leaving me the debris. I'm rather at my wits end as to how I can enjoy my birds these days. All suggestions would be so appreciated. Help! daisybeth.

I have set up my feeder so that the pigeons cant perch to get at the tray feeder, the squirrels have to climb a greasy pole, so no real problem anymore - I used molybdenum grease on the pole and cats were the bane of my life. I don;t like them - not just for the predation but their leavings in the flower beds really wound me up. I bought some plants that keep the cats away - can't remember the name but will be getting some more in the next few weeks - i will let you know the name, they are very effective.

maxthecollie 19-03-2016 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1164249)
I have set up my feeder so that the pigeons cant perch to get at the tray feeder, the squirrels have to climb a greasy pole, so no real problem anymore - I used molybdenum grease on the pole and cats were the bane of my life. I don;t like them - not just for the predation but their leavings in the flower beds really wound me up. I bought some plants that keep the cats away - can't remember the name but will be getting some more in the next few weeks - i will let you know the name, they are very effective.

Get a dog. Max will happily sit out and keep pigeons and cats away.

daisybeth 19-03-2016 07:21

Good morning Barrie, many thanks for your words of advice. I'd be glad to hear of the cat deterring plant. A slightly relieved daisybeth!

daisybeth 19-03-2016 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1164252)
Get a dog. Max will happily sit out and keep pigeons and cats away.

Hi maxthecollie, so glad that your dog sorts out the pigeon problem. My pigeons are very thick skinned. I have four dogs and the pigeons still persist, the dogs chasing around have no effect, in fact a nest is already being built in the conifer close to the house as usual, inspite of we humans trying to deter them also. Sad to say ,I think the cats do better to at 'removing ' the pigeons, and no the cat isn't at all put off by the dogs either. Got the wrong dogs it would seem! daisybeth.

DaveinGermany 19-03-2016 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164151)
greedy feeders [pigeons in my garden]

.22 Air Rifle with a scope & Mrs Beetons Pigeon pie recipe should sort your problem & gives a tasty treat to boot! :s_aim1:

daisybeth 19-03-2016 09:53

Guten morgen? daveingermany. Now the chuckles have subsided, I have to admit that your suggestion was top of my list several years ago. Unfortunately the hubby won't let me use his .22, nor does he like to eat pigeon pie, and my cooking isn't so great anyway. Still, maybe after another year of scooping pigeon poop from the paving he might just relent. I,m pretty fair at target shooting............... daisybeth.

DaveinGermany 19-03-2016 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164270)
Guten morgen? daveingermany. Now the chuckles have subsided, I have to admit that your suggestion was top of my list several years ago.

Great minds & all that! I'd suggest the same for the cats, but you'd need to use Ken Homs Chinky cook book for recipes though, anything that says "Chicken in the ingredients should suit. :s_aim1:

daisybeth 21-03-2016 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1164299)
Great minds & all that! I'd suggest the same for the cats, but you'd need to use Ken Homs Chinky cook book for recipes though, anything that says "Chicken in the ingredients should suit. :s_aim1:

Follow that! Can't.

shillelagh 23-03-2016 15:59

1 Attachment(s)
I can :p

Barrie Yates 23-03-2016 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164270)
Guten morgen? daveingermany. Now the chuckles have subsided, I have to admit that your suggestion was top of my list several years ago. Unfortunately the hubby won't let me use his .22, nor does he like to eat pigeon pie, and my cooking isn't so great anyway. Still, maybe after another year of scooping pigeon poop from the paving he might just relent. I,m pretty fair at target shooting............... daisybeth.

Pigeon stuffed with plums and then roasted is quite nice, but pluck and clean first:)

kestrelx 23-03-2016 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164230)

Even well fed cats kill birds as they don't do it for food.
Some one said a powerful water pistol will get rid of cats after repeated use (and it doesn't kill them) - as they don't like water. But a more expensive answer, though I haven't tried one, is the RSPB sonic cat deterrent:

Catwatch Cat deterrent | RSPB Wild Bird Care | RSPB Shop

Less 23-03-2016 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1164299)

Rubbish! How the heck can I translate, 'take a full chicken and insert into a slow cooker', into, 'take a full tiger and insert into a slow cooker'?

:confused:

DaveinGermany 23-03-2016 18:10

Get a bigger slow cooker! :D

Less 23-03-2016 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1164599)
Get a bigger slow cooker! :D

Is that really the best you can do?

I expected far better, here I am with a backlog of cats (and feeling guilty that had I not killed them there would be less pigeons), all you can suggest is for me to increase global warming by having a special slow cooker built?

Some people, huh, no real responsibility, always pushing the need for a solution onto others, typical!
:o

maxthecollie 23-03-2016 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1164590)
Even well fed cats kill birds as they don't do it for food.
Some one said a powerful water pistol will get rid of cats after repeated use (and it doesn't kill them) - as they don't like water. But a more expensive answer, though I haven't tried one, is the RSPB sonic cat deterrent:

Catwatch Cat deterrent | RSPB Wild Bird Care | RSPB Shop

Jet wash works for me

DaveinGermany 24-03-2016 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1164600)
Is that really the best you can do?

Right, I didn't want to say this (I'd of thought a clever chap such as yourself would've realised there's a ready source/sauce available without having to have a specially constructed pot made). Visit the local Coven/Jam Mafia & ask them if you can borrow their cauldron & you'll share your bottled/jarred results with them (70/30 should do) & I believe they'll even chuck in the utensils & possibly a stirrer/bottler or 2 to boot! :D

Less 24-03-2016 08:26

Unfortunately when I consulted my copy of Which Witch (the free magazine that explains how to get the most out of your spells, potions & curses) I discovered that the local coven has indeed been taken over by the most fierce and frightening group of necromancers known to mankind, the Women's Institute, (rumours have it that Mr. Hilter called off operation Sea-lion when he discovered what he would really be up against if he invaded) so, I'll pass on that one!

JC4LAB 15-05-2016 20:11

I have a resident robin but As a bird garden feeder liketo see more unsual visitors.than just pigeons..jays,thrushes,black ring ,blackbirds,brownbirds, black ring birds necks,colourful tits and sparrows..Dont mind a sqiurrel and usual wood pigeon if there just a couple,same for the odd magpie..I find in detering pigeons that size of feed helps..small seeds the pigeons cant get at .
Find Wilkinsons next to open market has reasonably priced varities of different seeds that attract different types.About £2 a kilo..Seem to work too..Unfortunately things like fruit,large nuts nuts and definatery bread attracts the bad lads..rats who are the worst show spolier.......

taddy 22-05-2016 10:00

This morning I have been watching young Blue Tits leaving a nest box I put up in a Mountain Ash tree in our front garden, the parent birds enticed them to leave and to fly up into the leafy branches where they became almost invisible amongst the foliage; We also have a three compartment "Sparrow terrace that has at least one brood of House Sparrow occupants.
Your's a happy Taddy

maxthecollie 22-05-2016 12:33

We were on holiday last week in a cottage in Aberfoyle Scotland. There was a large bird table in the garden. On the last day we had some frozen food left and decided to put it out for the birds. The Crows absolutely loved fish cakes and chips. They were taking a full fish cake of the table and coming back for the chips

taddy 22-05-2016 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1169339)
We were on holiday last week in a cottage in Aberfoyle Scotland. There was a large bird table in the garden. On the last day we had some frozen food left and decided to put it out for the birds. The Crows absolutely loved fish cakes and chips. They were taking a full fish cake of the table and coming back for the chips

And here's me thinking that the Jocks only ate deep fried "Mars Bar's".

taddy 12-06-2016 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1169326)
This morning I have been watching young Blue Tits leaving a nest box I put up in a Mountain Ash tree in our front garden, the parent birds enticed them to leave and to fly up into the leafy branches where they became almost invisible amongst the foliage; We also have a three compartment "Sparrow terrace that has at least one brood of House Sparrow occupants.
Your's a happy Taddy

I am feeling a little lonely at the moment, all the above mentioned young Blue Tits have now gone to make their way in the big,bad, wide world; I don't think that Blue Tits rear more than one clutch of eggs a year, so I will have to wait until next spring for a hoped for repeat performance. Ah well, never mind, Your's, Taddy. :(:(:(

Margaret Pilkington 12-06-2016 15:18

gives you something to look forward to.

Barrie Yates 12-06-2016 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybeth (Post 1164253)
Good morning Barrie, many thanks for your words of advice. I'd be glad to hear of the cat deterring plant. A slightly relieved daisybeth!

Sorry for the delay. only recently got them - they are a Coleus, Canina Green. Put them in a week ago and haven't had a visit from the local pest since. I get mine from the Nursery End garden centre behind Enfield cricket Club.

kestrelx 13-06-2016 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1169339)

Did you see any Eagles on your holiday?

Crows, Magpies, Seagulls and Feral Pigeons will eat almost anything.

shillelagh 13-06-2016 19:01

theres lots of babies on platts lodge at the minute .. had a walk round in the rain today ... some of the babies looked like they were only a couple of days old .. others no mums around .. and others their mums were standing guard while they were pecking away ..

maxthecollie 13-06-2016 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1170433)
Did you see any Eagles on your holiday?

Crows, Magpies, Seagulls and Feral Pigeons will eat almost anything.

Not a one although there was an Osprey's nest about 2 miles from where we were staying

Rowlf 19-06-2016 19:53

Any ideas to out wit a pesky squirrel ? I had two feeders with sun flower hearts in and loved watching the green finch, gold finch and blue tits every day then this flaming squirrel came and chewed around the holes and ate all the seeds on both feeders. I bought some new ones and the same thing happened again. The feeders were those green plastic ones so last week I bought a metal one and blow me it has chewed that too.

taddy 20-06-2016 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1170698)
Any ideas to out wit a pesky squirrel ? I had two feeders with sun flower hearts in and loved watching the green finch, gold finch and blue tits every day then this flaming squirrel came and chewed around the holes and ate all the seeds on both feeders. I bought some new ones and the same thing happened again. The feeders were those green plastic ones so last week I bought a metal one and blow me it has chewed that too.

Just Google squirrel proof bird feeders, there are many types that encloses a feeder within a squirrel proof metal cage. Hope this helps, Your's, Taddy.

Rowlf 20-06-2016 18:26

Thanjs Taddy I will have a look.

shillelagh 29-06-2016 16:12

I just want to stop the crows and the pigeons and collared doves .. they've figured out how to get the fat balls off the feeder ... and nick em all ... I put a couple out at 6pm last nite .. and when I went in the kitchen at 6.30pm theyd disappeared and a couple of big crows were trying to knock the feeder off the post ..

Rowlf 29-06-2016 17:57

Oh dear the little blighters are so clever. I think I might have stopped the squirrel. I read where they do not like cayenne pepper but birds dont mind it so I have mixed some in the sunflower hearts and up to now there has not been a problem. How long it lasts time will tell. What kind of a feeder have you got the fat balls in Shillelagh ?

gpick24 30-07-2016 17:19

1 Attachment(s)
I`ve tried allsorts to get rid of the pesky tree rat, but he`s a persistent little blighter.:D