Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Wombling (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/wombling-67448.html)

Accyexplorer 01-07-2015 17:48

Wombling

Are you the thrifty sort? Do you love a bargain/discount? Yes? Well this one is for you :)

I came across this "wombling" malarkey while talking to a homeless chap who was on the ball when it came to getting things for free.i believe the term comes from the programme the wombles of Wimbledon where the characters use disgarded rubbish and put it to good use.

Definition of wombling:-
Finding a old till receipt from Asda/Tesco and entering the code into their Price Guarantee/Price Match website and getting a money off coupon.

Now,Simple maths determines that they can't both be cheapest all of the time and Asda will pay you if they are not at least 10% cheaper than their competitors also Tesco pledges to pay back twice the difference if you find something cheaper elsewhere....Hmmmm.

All you have to do is collect a few old receipts from the carpark or bin if you've no shame and type in the code. If the shopping turns out to be cheaper elsewhere, your quids in.Don't worry if you live across the pond either as I think Walmart do a similar scheme.

Legalities:-
Technically, collecting old receipts is not illegal,nor is comparing the cost of the shopping. The grey area is the bit where you redeem the difference. Since you are not explicitly claiming that receipt is yours (the websites don't ask you to confirm this), you are not misleading anyone.

I doubt very much that Asda or Tesco would like to be seen refusing to honour their pledge plus the system is automated and issues a voucher, which you can just print off and redeem on your next visit.

Father of three saves thousands of pounds by picking up discarded receipts in supermarkets | Latest News | Breaking UK News & World News Headlines | Daily Star

Let me know what you think ;)

Margaret Pilkington 01-07-2015 19:04

Re: Wombling

I don't go to Asda very often.
I don't even check my own receipts, never mind rummaging for someone else's.
Though I am very frugal in other ways.

Gordon Booth 01-07-2015 19:50

I tend to shop at Asda because it's the nearest(food's food).
I always check the receipt, they compare the prices (not on 'home brands') with Sainsburys, Waitrose, Tesco and Morrisons.
If it's not 10% cheaper your refund gives you that 10% difference.
Surprising, almost always something back, can be £4+ on a £50+ shop(not always!).
The other stores having special offers often triggers it.

gpick24 01-07-2015 20:48

Wombling

There was a program on telly the other day where a woman spent a lot of time searching for vouchers online, her best shop was a £140 shop for which she paid 39p.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...y-coupons.html

RainbowSix 01-07-2015 21:38

I have seen comments about people having been banned from the supermarkets when they were caught doing this.

Accyexplorer 02-07-2015 03:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1143833)
I have seen comments about people having been banned from the supermarkets when they were caught doing this.

"Caught" suggests your doing something wrong,I can only assume these folk who get banned are taking receipts from inside the store (probably on a regular basis).
Surely,once you explained that if you was to save any money through this method you was going to donate a percentage of that saving to a children's charity they would actually condone it :D

jelly baby 11-07-2015 13:45

My best asda price guarantee voucher was for £9.86, added to a couple of other vouchers, I made a decent saving.

Accyexplorer 11-07-2015 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly baby (Post 1144513)
My best asda price guarantee voucher was for £9.86, added to a couple of other vouchers, I made a decent saving.

Through "wombling" or was it your own receipt?...

...either way the potential is there :alright:

jelly baby 24-10-2015 15:03

All my own receipts!

Rowlf 24-10-2015 21:20

Where did the homeless person get a gadget to be able to put the necessary information online ? Did he use the library computers ?

Rowlf 24-10-2015 21:23

Morrisons compare prices for me on my till roll and whatever I have spent over and above what I would have done at some other place they give me the equivalent points and it is added to points given for the amount on the till roll.... get 5000 points and get a £5 voucher. It doesn't take long to get those. I'm saving mine for the Christmas shopping .I think it is the best deal yet from a supermarket.

Accyexplorer 24-10-2015 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1153308)
Where did the homeless person get a gadget to be able to put the necessary information online ? Did he use the library computers ?

Thats a possibility ,then again,he may well of used his phone via Muck Donald's free wifi.

Accyexplorer 24-10-2015 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1153309)
Morrisons compare prices for me on my till roll and whatever I have spent over and above what I would have done at some other place they give me the equivalent points and it is added to points given for the amount on the till roll.... get 5000 points and get a £5 voucher. It doesn't take long to get those. I'm saving mine for the Christmas shopping .I think it is the best deal yet from a supermarket.

It's similar to the scheme run by Tesco,are you frugal enough to grab them till receipts from the car park and claim the points?

Rowlf 24-10-2015 22:29

I could not be bothered picking other folks receipts up but the Morrisons ones would be no good anyway as you have to have a 'Match and More' card which the points are put onto. The till roll just shows how many you have accrued. My point was how can a homeless person afford a computer of any kind or a phone as you suggest.

Neil 29-10-2015 11:12

It's good to see his arthritis doesn't stop him getting out and about while "he scours floors, bins and bushes for discarded price comparison receipts. " ;)