Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Pruning Damson Tree (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/pruning-damson-tree-71201.html)

lavenderpixie 07-07-2020 17:53

Pruning Damson Tree

Hi, I wonder if any gardeners out there could help me please?
I bought a Merryweather damson tree (rootstock:St JulienA Pixy) in March and planted it in the garden, its done well and grown quite a bit, in fact its starting to look very tall and spindly. I'm looking for advice on how and when to prune it - thanks.

Margaret Pilkington 07-07-2020 18:38

Re: Pruning Damson Tree

According to Dr Google...pruning should be done april to September.....so you could do it now(except Monty Don thinks it is unnecessary)......and I have added a link to Monty Don's instructions on how to do this as I feel you might find this useful.

I should say that I know nothing about damsons except they are delicious in jam.
I am terrible with growing thins I can even kill artificial plants.
I hope this helps.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gar...2069140/ASK-MO

lavenderpixie 07-07-2020 21:22

Thanks Margaret, I have seen this link while searching online - it doesn't give me any details of how to prune a new tree, which is what I'm after but thanks for posting.

Margaret Pilkington 08-07-2020 07:46

Having read the article, it seems that Monty Don doesn't really think pruning is a good idea....he thinks the trees should be a bit rangy.
I am pretty sure that there will be YouTube stuff that shows How to do it.

Margaret Pilkington 08-07-2020 07:49

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O3xkaNPdbPk
Pruning young fruit trees.

taddy 08-07-2020 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavenderpixie (Post 1241768)
Hi, I wonder if any gardeners out there could help me please?
I bought a Merryweather damson tree (rootstock:St JulienA Pixy) in March and planted it in the garden, its done well and grown quite a bit, in fact its starting to look very tall and spindly. I'm looking for advice on how and when to prune it - thanks.

Hi there, I planted two Apple trees ,Two Pear trees and two Plum trees on my allotment in November 2016, the plums,(one a Victoria and the other a Damson) are on dwarf rootstocks, as is your's on a (St Julien A pixi) rootstock but they can still reach up to 15 feet in height. all were planted as two year olds, the plums have yet to bear fruit but then again they will not start cropping for another 12 months or so. I only prune the Apples and Pears to keep them at a manageable height. the plums are now possibly 12 feet tall, so I suppose it depends on the size of your garden.
I have no doubt that if you search the web for how to prune plum trees, there will be any amount of information there.
I hope this is of some help.
Your's, The Lancashire Luddite.

taddy 08-07-2020 08:46

As it happens, my wife has just nipped down to Aldi, (to buy, yes, some Plums) in order to make some chutney)

lavenderpixie 08-07-2020 20:05

Thanks for that video Margaret it has helped me a lot.

Margaret Pilkington 08-07-2020 20:45

you are welcome...glad it helped.

taddy 12-07-2020 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1241785)
As it happens, my wife has just nipped down to Aldi, (to buy, yes, some Plums) in order to make some chutney)

Been down the allotment today, checked the Damson planted in November 2016 as a two year old sapling, Ha Ha, it has just started fruiting,(counted two,yes two berries on it, happy days (for maybe next year).

Margaret Pilkington 12-07-2020 21:46

Always good to have a pair Taddy.:)

taddy 13-07-2020 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1241889)
Always good to have a pair Taddy.:)

I would normally have an answer to that but as this is a family site I shall refrain.

Margaret Pilkington 13-07-2020 18:58

Taddy...don't worry...I can imagine it...my imagination is very well honed.

Exile on Spencer St 14-08-2020 12:12

1 Attachment(s)
If you’re still thinking about, Pixie, my RHS book on pruning suggests you don’t do anything in the first summer.
Then, Nov - March (nearest to date you planted in, I guess, to give it maximum time to establish itself) prune back four or so branches, that have formed wide angles with the stem, by half to two thirds.
After that, it looks like just tidying up laterals below the branches and removing any suckers.
I’ve always understood established damsons and plums don’t take well to pruning as silver leaf is always a risk.

taddy 15-08-2020 13:19

Cheers Exile.