Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 07:21   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: A dumb question about cookers

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
The gas supply has to be connected by a gorgi installer, you are not legally allowed to do this yourself
You know that is not totally true. If the cooker has a flexible pipe attached and connects to the supply using a self sealing fitting on both ends of the connector then you don't need to be corgi registered to plug it in.

Gayle, we used to have a single oven with shared grill and a gas hob. The hob had a rubber pipe with the correct plug in gas fitting and the oven section was on a normal 3 pin 13 amp plug. That's why I suggested you looked what yours has and check what the one you want to buy has in case you need to have a larger electrical supply installed before you can install the cooker.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32   #17
God Member

Easy way to check Neil, ask our council tenants, they are informed when moving into a council property that the cooker MUST be installed by a corgi registered installer, and certified to boot, if you fit your own cooker (which your insurance would not be happy about), then how can you check it is to regulation, gas rate it to be sure it has enough/not too much gas, I was called to one 2 weeks ago which was leaking, turned out the bayonet you are referring to was not connected properly, ANY interference with gas appliances has to be done by a corgi registered installer, even connecting a bayonet hose from a cooker, that is the law!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Looks like we are both right Derek

Taken from THE GAS SAFETY (INSTALLATION AND USE) REGULATIONS 1998
Quote:
'Work'

21 'Disconnecting' and 're-connecting' have been added to the list of activities explicitly mentioned in the definition of 'work in relation to a gas fitting' to make it clear that checks required under reg 26(9) should follow any such work, as it could affect gas soundness, and possibly flueing matters.

22 However, the simple connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing coupling (such as used on a gas cooker hose), for instance by a private consumer, has been excluded from the definition. This is largely to avoid the need for anyone doing this, purely to move the appliance, to be subject to the requirements of reg 3, and other regulations referring to 'work', such as reg 26(9).

23 Anyone disconnecting or connecting these sorts of fittings and couplings as part of gas fitting work, eg the installation of a new cooker, is still subject to GSIUR '98, as it applies to 'work' , in particular regs 3 and 26.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:09   #19
Senior Member+

Is checking your gas cooker not part of the check they do when they un cap your gas supply?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:16   #20
God Member

I have had dual fuel cookers in the past and agree that a gas hob with a fan assisted electric oven is an ideal way to cook.

Unfortunately I found that the electrically operated parts break down after a few years, whereas the gas operated bits never do.

So when I replaced my last dual fuel cooker I got one which is gas only

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:30   #21
God Member

Just to clarify Niel, if you are simply disconnecting the bayonet for cleaning or decor, you can disconnect and reconnect, if it is a new appliance, or removal to resite, it has to be a corgi engineer, so in this case, what you suggested to Gayle was in fact against the law, I didnt read captions from the rule book, I read it, and continued reading it, and the updates for the last 30 years, I wouldnt quote them if I didnt know them, it is after all my job.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:34   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I agreed with you Derek.

My name is not jambutty, I can admit when I am wrong
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40   #23
God Member

haha! jb will have you now! lol
Old 09-07-2008, 12:59   #24
God Member

Another thing about dual fuel cookers -
When my last one was installed I found that the installation standard fee was doubled because there were two connections

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 13:15   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

When I fitted our electric cooker I broke the law by removing the gas feed for the old one as it was in the way

I also installed the supply for the new electric cooker which at the time was ok but now it would be against part P building regs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..