Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 17:11   #1
God Member

A dumb question about cookers

Ok, I know this is going to be a dumb question but I've never bought a gas/electric cooker before - every house I've moved into has had a fairly decent one and I've moved out before I've ever needed to shop for one.

We currently have a dual fuel one - gas hob and electric oven, which I like so would like to buy a similar one (only one that works properly). It's free standing so wouldn't involve ripping out half the kitchen.

So, my question is - if I were to go to comet or some other such store and they were to deliver me a shiny new cooker of my choice, how would I go about installing it (or having it installed) and making sure it was safe to use?

Plus, as a secondary question - what do I do with the manky old one that's of no use to anyone anymore?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2008, 17:20   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: A dumb question about cookers

If you look at your the oven and grill bit will probably plug into a normal socket, you need to look and see if it is. The hob bit if your lucky will have a rubber pipe coming from it that plugs into a special gas connector. You are allowed to undo these as they are self sealing on both the plug and socket part.

Ring me its easier to explain. Has yours got a shared oven and grill or is it a double oven with a grill in the top oven?

Shared single oven and gril are naff, you cant oven and grill at the same time.
Old 06-07-2008, 17:22   #3
God Member

It is shared oven and grill at the moment but I want to get one of those that has two ovens.

Old 06-07-2008, 17:24   #4
God Member

Any plugs or whatever must be hidden behind it so I'd have to pull it all out to find out.

Old 06-07-2008, 17:58   #5
Senior Member+

currys charge around £47 to install and will take away your old one for free....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 18:23   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Gayle, found this for ya on comet website

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/adv...tallation#box4
Old 06-07-2008, 18:33   #7
God Member

I got a cooker from Dixons a year ago - their installation men did it, and removed the old one. (Currys and Dixons are in the same Company I think)
It was well worth the extra charge.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 18:35   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Any plugs or whatever must be hidden behind it so I'd have to pull it all out to find out.
You need to see what you have behind it then. A double electric oven may take too much current for a 13A plug so may need a larger supply than what you have now. These Currys installation charges only apply if everything needed is there. They will not install a 45Amp cooker point if needed for £47
Old 07-07-2008, 09:52   #9
Resting in Peace

I got a new cooker from Argos and they provide a fitting service at extra cost, but can't remember what that cost was, but it tells you on the Web Site
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03   #10
God Member

once you decide which model you want put it into pricerunner and kelkoo to see if you can get it cheaper online. Then before clicking through go to quidco and see if they have a deal with the supplier. you can often get another 2 or 3% off what was already teh cheapest price!.

, every penny counts!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:04   #11
Resting in Peace

leave the old one in your back yard and our local friendly gypsies will take it off your hands for free.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39   #12
God Member

The gas supply has to be connected by a gorgi installer, you are not legally allowed to do this yourself, the electric is more than likely a 45amp box, only the infra red ones were plug in, as for buying the cooker, choose your cooker, then go and see hughie at hecas on electricity street (next to asda) he will get it cheaper for you.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:46   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Plus, as a secondary question - what do I do with the manky old one that's of no use to anyone anymore?

Is it completely broken?

if not then HUFS will probably take it (they didnt have any cookers when i needed one)

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:15   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
The gas supply has to be connected by a gorgi installer, .

is a gorgi installer a plumber from newcastle ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:20   #15
God Member

Could be accyman, or just another typo! hehe

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..