Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2015, 10:28   #1
Senior Member+

Bird feeding

First things first HAPPY NEW YEAR

It's that time of year when we may have left over food and instead of just binning it I want to encourage folk to feed it our wild birds.The little cherubs will have a go at most things from Yorkshire puds to bacon rinds

I usually leave breadcrumbs and a few mixed bird seed with a small container of water but this year I made some hanging fatballs too,though my bird visitors tend to consist of mainly magpies or pigeons and not the robins, tits, finches etc that I would prefer.

Does anyone else feed the birds and what sorts do you get visiting your garden?
kestrelx likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-01-2015, 11:54   #2

Re: Bird feeding

I do. I have a very cheap and cheerful bird feeder shaped like an orange

http://angelhousenewport.co.uk/media...angefeeder.jpg

Similar to this. I put all sorts in it. Have a robin (I am sure It's the same one) visit regularly and in the summer a lot of songbirds.

Squirrels seem to like it too, though.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:01   #3
Full Member+

I put out raisins ( these get eaten first ) , suet , seeds and nuts a get a few blackbirds and either starlings or wrens not sure . But then cheeky pigeons come along.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:23   #4
Senior Member+

We put out mixed seed, pastry, bread, sunflower hearts and fat balls. We tend to get all varieties of tits, hundreds of house sparrows, a robin and very rarely long tailed tits. The sparrows all lin up for a bath at the same time every day.
Accyexplorer likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:24   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower49 View Post

Similar to this. I put all sorts in it. Have a robin (I am sure It's the same one) visit regularly and in the summer a lot of songbirds.

We have the apple variety of this feeder. The birds haven't got used to it yet.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:48   #6
Full Member+

I have a two bird tables and a couple of seed containers which I put sunflower hearts in.
There are robins usually two at a time, up to 6 gold finches at a time, green finch, blue tits,great tits, sparrows, starlings or heavy gang as I call them, occasionally a wren and about 4 times this last year a sparrow hawk has swooped down took a pigeon. Two collared doves come regularly too. So not bad really to say I live in a town. I have a bird bath too which they love both for drinking water and bathing. I buy mixed seed and the sunflower hearts and also put brown bread,suet and dried fruit out too.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:58   #7

I'm ashamed to say I haven't put my feeder out this year - yet. Next grocery shopping I will stock up on seed and suet cakes for sure! I normally see Bluejays, cardinals, juncos and chickadees just to name a few of the Southern Ontario birds from around here
Accyexplorer likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:21   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower49 View Post

I'd encourage the squirrels,I enjoy watching them work out ways of getting the nuts from feeders etc.
Our peg bought a (very similar) bird feeder but the birds just don't seem interested (maybe the odd wood pigeon),saying that my homemade fat balls have been up for days now and as far as I can tell they look relatively untouched too.
I'm wondering if it is too close for the birds to feel comfy I placed the feeder approximately 10 feet from the backdoor as I wanted to take a few photo's of them feeding/bathing.
It may be worth moving it nearer the hedge growth were they'll feel safer or maybe the fussy blighters just aren't interested in my offerings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
I put out raisins ( these get eaten first ) , suet , seeds and nuts a get a few blackbirds and either starlings or wrens not sure . But then cheeky pigeons come along.
I never thought of putting raisins out for the little blighters.....i'll definitely be trying them.
If they are getting eaten first there must be something about them that they really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We put out mixed seed, pastry, bread, sunflower hearts and fat balls. We tend to get all varieties of tits, hundreds of house sparrows, a robin and very rarely long tailed tits. The sparrows all lin up for a bath at the same time every day.
I've seen your pics Frank......one word.....jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I have a two bird tables and a couple of seed containers which I put sunflower hearts in.
There are robins usually two at a time, up to 6 gold finches at a time, green finch, blue tits,great tits, sparrows, starlings or heavy gang as I call them, occasionally a wren and about 4 times this last year a sparrow hawk has swooped down took a pigeon. Two collared doves come regularly too. So not bad really to say I live in a town. I have a bird bath too which they love both for drinking water and bathing. I buy mixed seed and the sunflower hearts and also put brown bread,suet and dried fruit out too.
I've seen a sparrow hawk take a pigeon around the Arden hall area (very impressive to watch).
Like you say, it's not a bad collection for a town garden.
I think, putting a bit of water out is essential too (many folk forget this) I'll be trying raisins and sultanas out in next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I'm ashamed to say I haven't put my feeder out this year - yet. Next grocery shopping I will stock up on seed and suet cakes for sure! I normally see Bluejays, cardinals, juncos and chickadees just to name a few of the Southern Ontario birds from around here
That sounds like a nice array of birds you have over there T but are they as aesthetically pleasing as my pigeons and magpies

password--Accyweb
Old 02-01-2015, 11:40   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I've seen a sparrow hawk take a pigeon around the Arden hall area
A feathery guided tour?
Eric and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 02-01-2015, 20:06   #10
Senior Member+

Love to feed the birds problem is we have a stream running through the complex and a large feed store across the road so if we put food out for the birds it also attracts the rats.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 22:56   #11

After 47 degrees yesterday our local parrots were happy to drink and splash around in the dish of water we put out in the garden for them.
Cool change today,only 38 degrees forecast.
jelly baby likes this.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:14   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Love to feed the birds problem is we have a stream running through the complex and a large feed store across the road so if we put food out for the birds it also attracts the rats.
I guess even rats are wildlife,admittedly,not as pleasing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
After 47 degrees yesterday our local parrots were happy to drink and splash around in the dish of water we put out in the garden for them.
Cool change today,only 38 degrees forecast.
With them temps,I'm surprised it wasn't the Emu trying to splash about in your dish of water.

Parrots are Beautiful (very photogenic) not to mention intelligent and resourceful, I bet it's great seeing them in their natural habitat.....jealous

password--Accyweb
Old 03-01-2015, 13:31   #13

We get blue tits, long tailed tits, coal tits, robins, thrushes, blackbirds and a pair of blue jays have been around for the last couple of weeks, and of course, the ubiquitous magpies and pigeons.
Jb x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 16:33   #14
God Member

We have Snowy Owls in spades ... one on my garage roof yesterday ... (maybe I should keep my camera a little more handy) ... gorgeous birds, and they take care of their own feeding. Lots of nervous squirrels around.

Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario - Windsor - CBC News
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I guess even rats are wildlife,admittedly,not as pleasing though

With them temps,I'm surprised it wasn't the Emu trying to splash about in your dish of water.

Parrots are Beautiful (very photogenic) not to mention intelligent and resourceful, I bet it's great seeing them in their natural habitat.....jealous

Maybe a little less natural habitat now,after the catastrophic bushfire raging through the Adelaide Hills.
No lives lost yet,but the fire is still burning after 3 days and no sign of it
being under control.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..