Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 22:21   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bloody cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
There's always a Chinese Chippy wanting cats for their new recipes
Not new at all, Pished up n curry n yeh think its chicken.
Old 02-08-2013, 17:45   #92
God Member

The lion poo smell isn't 100% effective. One of the three cats ignores it.

I have considered getting a sonic cat repeller, but reviews of that indicate that the cats learn to ignore it eventually.

One suggestion I have read about involves strategically placing a mirror so that their own reflection gets misinterpreted as a rival resident cat.

My mirrors and pictures haven't been put on the walls yet, so a mirror seems a handy thing to try next.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:46   #93
Senior Member+

Until you get a vain cat.
DaveinGermany likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:27   #94
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The lion poo smell isn't 100% effective. One of the three cats ignores it.

I have considered getting a sonic cat repeller, but reviews of that indicate that the cats learn to ignore it eventually.

One suggestion I have read about involves strategically placing a mirror so that their own reflection gets misinterpreted as a rival resident cat.

My mirrors and pictures haven't been put on the walls yet, so a mirror seems a handy thing to try next.
An air rifle will do the trick n its quiet.
Old 02-08-2013, 20:07   #95
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
An air rifle will do the trick n its quiet.
Better sport back in the day was a dolly tub full of water and a posser at least that gave the cats of Woodnook a fighting chance Ol ....
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 23:21   #96
Full Member+

Never have a problem granted cats don't like my dog
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32   #97
God Member

The one remaining trespasser sneaked in yesterday while I was sitting only a few feet away.

The mirror is now in place on the balcony - I will report whether or not it works.

Old 06-08-2013, 19:23   #98
God Member

Mirror didn't work - just chased a cat from under my bed and from behind the sofa - can do without such useless excercise.

I have resorted to spending serious money in the interest of (my) energy conservation.

Solar Powered Ultrasonic/Strobe Repeller Cats Dogs Foxes Bird Squirrels Rodents | eBay

Last edited by MargaretR; 06-08-2013 at 19:26.
Old 06-08-2013, 20:38   #99
Senior Member+

Air Gun?
Old 06-08-2013, 21:13   #100
God Member

Quote:
Air Gun?
I don't want to be arrested, nor do I want hostility from my new neighbours.

I say again - I like cats, but not as uninvited visitors.

I have a rape alarm somewhere but haven't found it yet after the flitting. I used to keep it on the meter cupboard beside the front door. It worked once before on an invading cat who was intimidating a cat of mine a few years ago. It may have been left behind - some things were because I was ill on the flitting day and never went back to check before my son handed in the keys.

Old 07-08-2013, 19:35   #101
Senior Member+

What about a pet corrector spray. They are used to stop unwanted behaviour. They are harmless., just compressed air in a can. The short sharp hiss may do the trick
Old 07-08-2013, 19:39   #102
Senior Member+

They can be bought from Pets at Home Stores or maybe the big Pet store in ossy.
Old 08-08-2013, 17:32   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Mirror didn't work - just chased a cat from under my bed and from behind the sofa - can do without such useless excercise.

I have resorted to spending serious money in the interest of (my) energy conservation.

Solar Powered Ultrasonic/Strobe Repeller Cats Dogs Foxes Bird Squirrels Rodents | eBay
Last weekend when it was so warm we decided to leave the front door open, it was there watching the telly when a cat came from under the bed, it didn't stay long, Joan removed it and closed the door its been trying to get in again when my carers arrive.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:39   #104
God Member

Quote:
What about a pet corrector spray. They are used to stop unwanted behaviour. They are harmless., just compressed air in a can. The short sharp hiss may do the trick
I have been doing the 'long menacing hiss' when I have seen them approaching, and have now found my shrill rape alarm.

Neither of those works when they sneak in whilst my back is turned.

Today my solar animal repeller arrived so I set it up.
It has 3 sound levels for various sizes of animals, one strobe light function, and a setting that activates all the previous four.

I set it on '3' for 'small dogs, cats, birds' and placed it on the balcony. No cats tried trespassing all day, but this evening a problem has arisen.

Children can hear it! It must operate like those 'mosquito' devices that are used to disperse gangs of chavs.

The local children are my friends. They say hello and smile when passing, sometimes pause for more conversation. Two children live in the flat above me.

I cannot use it projecting the whistling sound they have told me they can hear, so it is now set for 'strobe light' only, which is likely to be less effective.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-08-2013 at 17:43.
Old 08-08-2013, 17:54   #105
God Member

PS In case you haven't heard of it -
The Mosquito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..