Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Bloody cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Today my solar animal repeller arrived so I set it up.
It has 3 sound levels for various sizes of animals, one strobe light function, and a setting that activates all the previous four.

I set it on '3' for 'small dogs, cats, birds' and placed it on the balcony. No cats tried trespassing all day, but this evening a problem has arisen.

Children can hear it! It must operate like those 'mosquito' devices that are used to disperse gangs of chavs.
MargaretR, why not try it set on the lounge wall opposite your balcony doors. The range is probably quite limited so it might hit the cats as they come to the doors but it may not reach the children on the grass. They'll soon tell you if it does.
If it's a solar charger you may have to put it in the window to charge it up now and again. Or even under a lamp.
The cats will probably get used to avoiding your balcony then you may not need it.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 09-08-2013 at 11:31.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2013, 11:43   #107
God Member

The only problem with placing it indoors is that my movement in front of it will activate the sound. Even though I can't hear it, the children living above me might, so the strobe light setting will have to do.

Yesterday evening after I had removed it from the balcony (due to the children reporting the 'whistling' noise,) I took my personal attack alarm out there.

One cat set one paw on the balcony and got blasted eardrums. This amused the children no end. I had to explain what I had used and was urged 'do it again'. I declined saying 'for cats only' - so they went and found one and delivered it - naughty

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:59   #108
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Last weekend when it was so warm we decided to leave the front door open, it was there watching the telly when a cat came from under the bed, it didn't stay long, Joan removed it and closed the door its been trying to get in again when my carers arrive.
My son has a downstairs bedroom and has twice woken up with one of next doors cats curled up next to his head. Good job his door was shut or it could have been a messy awakening if the dog was passing by !!
Old 09-08-2013, 15:12   #109
I am Banned

Quote:
The only problem with placing it indoors is that my movement in front of it will activate the sound. Even though I can't hear it, the children living above me might, so the strobe light setting will have to do.

Yesterday evening after I had removed it from the balcony (due to the children reporting the 'whistling' noise,) I took my personal attack alarm out there.

One cat set one paw on the balcony and got blasted eardrums. This amused the children no end. I had to explain what I had used and was urged 'do it again'. I declined saying 'for cats only' - so they went and found one and delivered it - naughty
The sound from those cat repellers dos'nt pass thro walls, and the range of motion operation is only a few feet, you could set it up so that it only covers the balcony, and a little bit of Duct tape could be used on the sensor on the side that might detect children.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 15:33   #110
God Member

This one has a max distance of 8m/24' !

I had already set at the lowest distance setting and the children were about 15' away from it when they reported hearing it.

These flats are well soundproofed by comparison with the H Homes flat I left, but because such a high pitched noise is involved I don't want to risk using it.

It looks as though the sensor bit is the curved bit at the base - similar to a burglar alarm PIR.

The rape alarm shriek I used last night may well do the trick on its own, (amazed by how high a cat can jump from a standing start ) and the strobe light will keep them from using my garden recliner chair at night.

I think the problem has eventually been solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat repeller.JPG (118.5 KB, 9 views)
Turtle likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 04:39   #111
God Member

Quote:
This one has a max distance of 8m/24' !

I had already set at the lowest distance setting and the children were about 15' away from it when they reported hearing it.

These flats are well soundproofed by comparison with the H Homes flat I left, but because such a high pitched noise is involved I don't want to risk using it.

It looks as though the sensor bit is the curved bit at the base - similar to a burglar alarm PIR.

The rape alarm shriek I used last night may well do the trick on its own, (amazed by how high a cat can jump from a standing start ) and the strobe light will keep them from using my garden recliner chair at night.

I think the problem has eventually been solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Seems like cats in Kingston have more to worry about than rape alarms and strobe lites ....

Missing cats cause for concern | The Kingston Whig-Standard

I put food out for the strays ... and what they don't eat, three adolescent coons chow down on ... and I sit out on my front porch while all this happens. I like the company ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (569.9 KB, 18 views)
maxthecollie and Turtle like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 21:03   #112
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Three coons?? not very P.C. Eric.
Eric and westendlass like this.
Old 17-08-2013, 14:05   #113
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Seems like cats in Kingston have more to worry about than rape alarms and strobe lites ....

Missing cats cause for concern | The Kingston Whig-Standard

I put food out for the strays ... and what they don't eat, three adolescent coons chow down on ... and I sit out on my front porch while all this happens. I like the company ...
I'd be watching out for pythons Eric

BBC News - Canada police find pythons in Ontario motel room bins
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..