Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 19:22   #1
God Member

Bloody cats

as some of you may know, in the last couple of years i've been planting things in the hope that i will get some nice veg come the summer

i'm having a problem though.....i plant everything in tubs and i'm having trouble with CATS climbing in the tubs and digging up what i've planted, i didnt have this problem last year but they seem to be doing it a lot this year, i've just been out and noticed that they have been in my garlic and dug it up and knocked my peas over

other than shooting the damn things what else can i do to deter them from ruining my veggies?

my brother being a smart arse suggested lion manure yes, like they sell that around here

does the 'water in bottles' thing actually work?

any advice would be grateful
Old 01-04-2009, 19:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bloody cats

Cats won't go near garlic , they don't want the smell of garlic on their fur .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:31   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You need a tame chavster to sort out your cat problem
Old 01-04-2009, 19:34   #4
God Member

already thought about that one Neil

David, there are cat paw prints in the soil of the garlic, it is definately cats
Old 01-04-2009, 19:36   #5
God Member

Buy a dog, worked for us

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:36   #6
Senior Member+

shoot them ! Only kidding , you can get some pellets you can put down , and cats don't like the smell of them

Last edited by david1; 01-04-2009 at 19:39.
Old 01-04-2009, 19:37   #7
Beacon of light

Put orange peel around the plants......cats do not like the smell of citrus.

And squirting the cat while it is is doing the digging or whatever does work...but you have to catch them at it so to speak.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:39   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Put orange peel around the plants......cats do not like the smell of citrus.

And squirting the cat while it is is doing the digging or whatever does work...but you have to catch them at it so to speak.

ahhhhh, that sounds like a great idea, we always have oranges in the house, i'll get peeling in the morning, thankyou Marg

its either that or i'll end up drop kicking the little gits

i wouldnt really
Old 01-04-2009, 19:42   #9
Beacon of light

Hope it works for you.
I like cats, but know that they can be a nuisance.....the citrus thing worked for me.
We bought a new leather suite a few years ago and within a day I found my cats clawing the leather(they loved it) so I rubbed all the corners with either lemon peel or orange peel....they don't even attempt it anymore.

It is kinder than shooting them....and no bodies to dispose of
Old 01-04-2009, 19:42   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
ahhhhh, that sounds like a great idea, we always have oranges in the house, i'll get peeling in the morning, thankyou Marg

its either that or i'll end up drop kicking the little gits

i wouldnt really
Be careful there's teeth at the other end ! lol
Old 01-04-2009, 19:44   #11
Beacon of light

and claws all round
Old 01-04-2009, 19:46   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i wouldnt really
That would work as well
Old 01-04-2009, 19:46   #13
God Member

lol
Old 01-04-2009, 19:59   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

I have a big plastic box in which, yesterday, I planted carrot seeds. I put the compost in this box 3 weeks ago and, last weekend, I discovered about half a dozen cat poos in the top of the soil. Right, before you start shouting Bloody Cats! and Shoot Them! etc., I like cats. It was obviously the young fellah (ex-tom) next door, who loves my cat and my garden, who thought I had provided him with an outdoor lavatory. I knew it wasn't our cat as she doesn't "go" outside.

So, I dug out the poos and the surrounding soil - into a plastic bag and into the bin, put some fresh compost on the top and planted my seeds. Next, I cut a piece of fruit-netting from a roll I've had in the garage for about 10 years, and put it over the top of the box and over the sides to the underneath. Problem solved, no more cat loo, no chance of the birds scattering the soil (and my seeds) as they peck for worms and still a good relationship with my little feline friend.

Flashy, if you haven't anything that will cover your tubs until your seeds have grown, try pushing sticks (bamboo canes, twigs, anything) into the compost, leaving about 6" above the surface. This may deter them - or, more likely, it - I bet it's one puss who regards your garden as its own.
Old 01-04-2009, 20:08   #15
God Member

the garlic has actually got a bit of length on it now, the 'stem' is a good few inches long, i have loads of twigs in my garden, i'll stick the sticks in as well as the oranges

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..