Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2010, 15:17   #1

Smile Boxed LP's

I have 14 boxed LP's, of various music and song and with approximately 6 individual records in each box...all in excellent condition...obviously not many people play them nowadays but I have been told that there are record shops that buy them...can you advise me if there are any such shops in Lancashire that I can approach...
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2010, 15:48   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Boxed LP's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grange View Post
I have 14 boxed LP's, of various music and song and with approximately 6 individual records in each box...all in excellent condition...obviously not many people play them nowadays but I have been told that there are record shops that buy them...can you advise me if there are any such shops in Lancashire that I can approach...
Perhaps you could donate them to accyweb? Let the site take away the problem of you shifting them & after all as well as the Bowling Club 'accyweb' needs donations & also input from it's members to survive, (something you never bother with), unfortunately you just think it's here just for YOUR convenience!

By the way, we can almost all read your posts without Giant letters.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 19:29   #3
God Member

try custard cube in the market hall or search for vinyl record forums on teh net and try and sell there

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 19:32   #4

Thank you Ian for your constructive advise...I will try custard cube...regards
Old 25-06-2010, 20:48   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
try custard cube in the market hall or search for vinyl record forums on teh net and try and sell there
He aint in the market hall now hes moved.
Old 25-06-2010, 20:53   #6
Beacon of light

He is in the shop just above Garth Dawsons, in little Blackburn Road....the shop that used to sell wedding gowns.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 21:00   #7

Many thanks Margaret...will give him a try...regards
Old 31-07-2010, 20:31   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
He is in the shop just above Garth Dawsons, in little Blackburn Road....the shop that used to sell wedding gowns.
I was going to ask this question on here after trying to hunt down Jim, so I'm glad it was easy to search the forum first to see if anyone had already mentioned him!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 23:24   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grange View Post
[..obviously not many people play them nowadays [/I]

Vinyl is making a comeback ,apparentley Tesco have been selling turntables by the bucketload to people under 30..........................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:27   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Vinyl is making a comeback ,apparentley Tesco have been selling turntables by the bucketload to people under 30..........................
This is very true, my boyfriend is always raving to me about vinyl and a lot of my friends still buy them. I can't be bothered with the hassle of them personally but I have to admit that the sound of a vinyl can't be matched by a CD.
Old 01-08-2010, 21:50   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
This is very true, my boyfriend is always raving to me about vinyl and a lot of my friends still buy them. I can't be bothered with the hassle of them personally but I have to admit that the sound of a vinyl can't be matched by a CD.
Well said, yep they are hassle, have been offered silly money fer mine oer the years, but ya can't beat the sound. so i'll probably be buried wi em.
Old 01-08-2010, 22:25   #12

I've got loads but no turntable, I didn't know Tesco were selling them
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:36   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
I've got loads but no turntable, I didn't know Tesco were selling them
I can't even IMAGINE Tesco selling them to be honest, it's not mass consumerist enough in my eyes to stock turntables. Maybe I'll just being pessimistic though. They ARE making a comeback and it wouldn't be too surprising for Tesco to jump on that.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55   #14

I love vinyl and was quite excited when the Custard Cube opened it's new shop. Never have I been so disappointed in a shop, 95% of the vinyl stock in there is in fair to poor condition and what there is that is half decent is overpriced. I wonder how he sells any vinyl at all.

Anyway... if you haven't already I would recommend doing a little research on the net to see how much the records you have are going for. A record is only worth what someone is willing to pay, regardless of what books may tell you. A shop will on average only give you at best a third of what a record is worth as obviously they want to make a profit on it. Condition is everything though (unless it's unbelievably rare), so most items that you see going on ebay for big money are likely to be in excellent to Mint condition, below that level of condition you can start knocking big sums off the price.
Ghengis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 23:40   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I love vinyl and was quite excited when the Custard Cube opened it's new shop. Never have I been so disappointed in a shop, 95% of the vinyl stock in there is in fair to poor condition and what there is that is half decent is overpriced. I wonder how he sells any vinyl at all.

Anyway... if you haven't already I would recommend doing a little research on the net to see how much the records you have are going for. A record is only worth what someone is willing to pay, regardless of what books may tell you. A shop will on average only give you at best a third of what a record is worth as obviously they want to make a profit on it. Condition is everything though (unless it's unbelievably rare), so most items that you see going on ebay for big money are likely to be in excellent to Mint condition, below that level of condition you can start knocking big sums off the price.
I didn't realise Jim ever did sell much vinyl, he used to just keep it all upstairs in the market! He started selling it on Ebay for a while but I think he ended up buying more than what he sold so I don't know if he still does it!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..