Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 10:32   #1
JFT96

Burglar Alarm, repair/upgrade/replace

We have a simple Burglar Alarm fitted in our home, 2 PIR's downstairs and 2 door contact's. The bell box needs replacing front and rear and the control unit is not working either. Although when power is applied the PIR's and Contacts work fine.
We want pet friendly PIR's installing.
Anybody got any idea's?
Cheers
BG

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2011, 17:04   #2
God Member

Re: Burglar Alarm, repair/upgrade/replace

if price isnt too big an issue i would get one of those wireless units so you dont have to mess around with wires and worry about them when decorating.

no point in patching up an old unit it may cost just as much to in the long run with fees and parts etc

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 16:31   #3
Senior Member+

Try B & Q, they have a reasonable wireless system available but don't know if the PIR is adjustable for body heat (difference between human and animal), but you can always adjust the detection height.
Old 17-04-2012, 10:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
We have a simple Burglar Alarm fitted in our home, 2 PIR's downstairs and 2 door contact's. The bell box needs replacing front and rear and the control unit is not working either. Although when power is applied the PIR's and Contacts work fine.
We want pet friendly PIR's installing.
Anybody got any idea's?
Cheers
BG
When to choose a wireless alarm

On first impressions a wireless alarm sounds the obvious choice but there are several factors to consider, as an installer I would only advise the use of them in certain scenarios.

The main reason I would advise a wireless burglar alarm would be in a brand new home that has no easy way of concealing cables, many new homes built within the last 15-20 years in the UK have large chipboard sheets for flooring.
A quality installer would normally install burglar alarm cables under floor boards, this done by cutting small sections of floor board around 18 inches long, cables are then “fished” under the floor from one detector to another. This is not possible in newer homes.

Another reason I would advise the use of a wireless Burglar Alarm would be where a customer lives in a rented home or when a customer plans to move home in the near future.
A wireless burglar alarm can be removed and refitted in a new home within a few hours at a fraction of the cost of a wired system.

As many wireless burglar alarms come with built in speech dialers (they connect to your phone line and dial your mobile) they can be cheaper than their wired counterparts if a speech dialer is one of your requirements.Wireless systems can become more expensive if you require more than two detectors.
Rochdalealarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:50   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I don't like wireless alarms, I have installed them for people who wanted them but I still don't like them. They are good for installers, easy to install and you can do a yearly maintenance on them which will just involve changing the batteries and testing it still works. In my opinion, as with most things, you cant beat wired for reliability.

This is an old thread and you did not comment on the pet friendly PIR's.
I use Texecom 3D Petwise detectors where my dog is and she does not set them off here is a link to them http://cpc.farnell.com/texecom/3d-pe...pir/dp/SR04708
Cats can be a pain because they climb and may be able to get close to the PIR. In that case you can blank off sections of the lens to prevent accidental activations.

Please don't start offering your business services without requesting permission from the site administrator or you will probably find yourself banned for braking the site rules
Old 19-04-2012, 17:36   #6
Senior Member+

Message sausage butty. Alarm engineer, local and also obsessed with his job!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..