Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 09:29   #1

Burns

Just recieved this from a very reliable friend , so thought I would share.

BURN REMEDY

Impressive! Why did we never hear of this before??!! I've always just run it under the cold water tap.
A woman's experience with burns . . .
Some time ago I was cooking some corn and stuck my fork in the boiling water to see if the corn was ready. I missed and my hand went into the boiling water.... A friend of mine, who was a Vietnam vet, came into the house, just as I was screaming, and asked me if I had some plain old flour... I pulled out a bag and he stuck my hand in it. He told me to keep my hand in the flour for 10 minutes which I did. He said that in Vietnam , there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well, it not only put the fire out, but he never even had a blister!!!!
... Long story short, I put my hand in the bag of flour for 10 mins, pulled it out and did not even have a red mark or a blister and absolutely NO PAIN. Now, I keep a bag of flour in the fridge and every time I burn myself. *Cold flour feels even better than room temperature flour.
I use the flour and have never ONCE had I ever had even a red spot/burn mark, or a blister! I even burnt my tongue once, put the flour on it for about 10 minutes ... the pain was gone and no burn.
Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did!
BTW, don't run your burn area under cold water first, just put it directly into the flour for 10 minutes.

Edit - Before anyone thinks about trying this please read the whole thread especially this post and then read this link - Neil

snopes.com: Flour Prevents Burns?

Last edited by Neil; 12-05-2011 at 06:48.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2011, 09:50   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Burns

Not wishing to seem offensive, but I find that hard to believe SM-C. I worked in a Fd Amb alongside combat medical technicians, not once was flour mentioned for burns even as a battlefield expedient, so I think your friend may have been duped.

No doubt others with a more knowledgeable medical background will be along presently to confirm or deny the veracity of this supposed wonder cure & I believe they'll probably confirm my views.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:54   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

cheers fer that tip sue, very handy to know.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:00   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Not wishing to seem offensive, but I find that hard to believe SM-C. I worked in a Fd Amb alongside combat medical technicians, not once was flour mentioned for burns even as a battlefield expedient, so I think your friend may have been duped.

No doubt others with a more knowledgeable medical background will be along presently to confirm or deny the veracity of this supposed wonder cure & I believe they'll probably confirm my views.
I thought it sounded iffy as well. What we need is an idiot to try it, no I am not volunteering myself
Old 11-05-2011, 10:08   #5
God Member

Plunging a burnt hand in a bag of flour will exclude exposure to air, which will have the same effect as wrapping it in cling film which is the standard 1st aid treatment.
I recall when my ex-partner was treated at Birmingham Burns Unit following a fire in his lorry cab - he had both hands enclosed in plastic bags.

I can see how this would work on a burnt hand but for smaller (more common) burn sites I use Arnica gel or cream, which excludes the air and reduces pain instantly.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20   #6
Beacon of light

Neat lavender oil is good for burns, but has to be applied immediately to have the best effect.
Having a homeopath for a daughter, my standard of treatment if I burn myself is......cold water for 10 minutes, Aconite 30c for shock and then Cantharides 30c for the burn....no tea or coffee for 20 minutes(they act as antidotes to the homeopathic remedies).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:25   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just a further point :-

He said that in Vietnam , there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well,

Flour, coal dust, house dust, can explode or cause a fireball when exposed to a direct flame so the above comment seems pretty exaggerated.

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source...v4Q9sg&cad=rja
Old 11-05-2011, 11:49   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Just a further point :-

He said that in Vietnam , there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well,

Flour, coal dust, house dust, can explode or cause a fireball when exposed to a direct flame so the above comment seems pretty exaggerated.
I'll second that one Dave, I've seen the effects of dust explosion during my time in the fire brigade, we had to be very carefull when entering certain factories, in how we applied water to avoid stirring up dust, even fine sawdust can explode in the right conditions. They had a display unit at the training center, which could simulate flour dust explosions, with just one spark.
Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 12-05-2011 at 06:40. Reason: fix quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 18:10   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought it sounded iffy as well. What we need is an idiot to try it, no I am not volunteering myself
As usual spoil sport
Old 11-05-2011, 20:31   #10

Quote:

I just passed it on for goodnesses sake! Can't see why there's always such a big issue on these things.
It's obvious that if someone is badlly burned, they'll need real medical advice and hospital not water, flour or what else!
There have always been and always will be strange suggestions/cures etc...
we are all free to believe them are not, and I don't think I 'ordered' anyone to keep a bag of flour at hand, did I?
I don't think it's any worse than some of the crazy things we were told to do years ago, like spreading butter on burns!! or breathing over the tarmac machine to prevent colds!!
Come to think of it,this could be a new thread, 'cures',
Any offers?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:42   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
I just passed it on for goodnesses sake! Can't see why there's always such a big issue on these things.
It's obvious that if someone is badlly burned, they'll need real medical advice and hospital not water, flour or what else!
There have always been and always will be strange suggestions/cures etc...
we are all free to believe them are not, and I don't think I 'ordered' anyone to keep a bag of flour at hand, did I?
I don't think it's any worse than some of the crazy things we were told to do years ago, like spreading butter on burns!! or breathing over the tarmac machine to prevent colds!!
Come to think of it,this could be a new thread, 'cures',
Any offers?
Dont take things to serious.

Who ever passed this on was probably part of Email Chain.

snopes.com: Flour Prevents Burns?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:36   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Whoa steady MS-C, I had no intention of riling you, just pointing out the improbability of such an anecdote. When things like this appear there are those who take it as gospel & may well try it, urban myths have a way of becoming "Believable", which could lead to more serious problems.

As to your comment about a new thread "Cures" how about "Cures & Urban Myths", you know, things like "Touching Toads gives you warts !", "It can't happen on your first time" or "If you do it standing up ......" how many young lads & lasses may have fallen for such quotes taken as truth ?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46   #13
Senior Member+

Do what standing up DiG??????
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:57   #14
Beacon of light

IT, Heth, IT, the thing that makes babies.......!
No, not kissing.
I know you know really
Old 12-05-2011, 10:58   #15
Beacon of light

And you would be amazed at the number of people who believe that you can't get pregnant the first time you do it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..