Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2008, 09:45   #61
God Member

Re: energy saving tips???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have a kw/h meter, if I can find it that is
Thanks for the offer Neil, but I am going ahead with the plug change anyway

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2008, 09:47   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thats no way to call your other half AccyLass

Nah he got demoted!!

Might re instate him tho cos the dishwasher don't accept payment with a wink and smile
Old 21-08-2008, 10:11   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
Nah he got demoted!!

Might re instate him tho cos the dishwasher don't accept payment with a wink and smile
Thats the trouble with us blokes we always fall for the wink and a smile
Old 21-08-2008, 10:17   #64
God Member

I have just spent some time this morning online and on phone to Scottish Power.
They brought out a new cheaper online tariff in June, called Online Energy Saver 4.
I was on Online Energy Saver 3 until today. Their practice is NOT to advise existing customers about cheaper tariffs - you have to find out yourself and ASK to go on it.
I found out by chance by browsing Martin Lewis Moneysaving Expert site.

Old 21-08-2008, 12:54   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I found out by chance by browsing Martin Lewis Moneysaving Expert site.
Martin Lewis is King........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 15:01   #66
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: energy saving tips???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Clean down the backs of radiators and down the middle of double radiators to help airflow. Apparently you can buy special brushes but I just tape on some sponge to the end of a garden cane

Read that putting tinfoil behind a radiator to reflect heat back into the room could save around the £20 per year ( dunno how they calculated that fig. Can‘t see it being per radiator) It seems a bit of a faff. Might do it as I work my way round the house decorating.
The last time that I did any decorating (a long while ago) I drained and removed the radiators to paper behind them. But first I lined the wall with baco foil and papered over the top.

Also at that time it was possible to buy expanded polystyrene by the roll. This was about 3mm thick, the same width as a roll of paper and was pasted onto the wall before papering. You just have to make sure that the polystyrene join did not coincide with the paper join. It made a noticeable difference to the room temperature.

In the kitchen I also installed one of those clothes racks that you could lower to load and pull up to the ceiling to dry the clothes. In the old days nearly every house had one. Heat rises and it is warmer near the ceiling than at ground level. A definite must for the older houses where the ceiling might be some 9 or 10 feet high. Useful for modern houses too. I don’t know if you can buy them these days. If not then there is a business opportunity for some entrepreneur.
Old 22-08-2008, 15:05   #67
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Why do we take it for granted that the done thing is to leave fridges and freezers constantly plugged in ? Surely they can hold their temperature for 6 or 7 hours during the night. How long does it take them to defrost without power ?

Thinking of putting ours on a timer so they shut down for 6 hours from midnight. Can anyone think of why I shouldn’t test this out

Yes, your fridge/freezer has a thermostat inside and it does all the switching on and off for you.
Old 22-08-2008, 16:21   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
In the kitchen I also installed one of those clothes racks that you could lower to load and pull up to the ceiling to dry the clothes. In the old days nearly every house had one. Heat rises and it is warmer near the ceiling than at ground level. A definite must for the older houses where the ceiling might be some 9 or 10 feet high. Useful for modern houses too. I don’t know if you can buy them these days. If not then there is a business opportunity for some entrepreneur.
I remember we had one of these when i was little. Pretty sure it was made out of the side of an old cot....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 17:29   #69
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: energy saving tips???

The last one that I bought some 20 odd years ago cost less than a tenner and was made out of plastic ends and 4 metal tubes about 6 feet long covered in plastic between them.

Worth its weight in gold in winter and on wet days where drying outside was not possible.
Old 22-08-2008, 17:46   #70
God Member

I had a rack at my last address, but here my ceilings are too low.

I have improvised. I have a 'walk in' cupboard off my kitchen (about 6'x 3') which I think was originally intended as a pantry. I fixed wood battens on opposite walls, about 6' up.
I have 5 lengths of wood batten resting on the wall battens, which provides me with a rack, above stored hoover and other tall appliances.

When I have washing drying in there, I leave the door ajar so that heat and air can circulate from the kitchen.

Old 22-08-2008, 18:01   #71
God Member

Magaret i AM impressed........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 18:18   #72
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Neil, but I am going ahead with the plug change anyway
So now you might be using more electricity with it than without it.
Old 22-08-2008, 18:24   #73
God Member

Quote:
So now you might be using more electricity with it than without it.
I have found it, but haven't fixed it on yet. You have confused me - how can it use more

Old 22-08-2008, 19:09   #74
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I have found it, but haven't fixed it on yet. You have confused me - how can it use more
If it does not work correctly, it might prevent the compressor from running correctly so it may have to run for longer and use more power. There is only one way of telling. Like I said before, measure power used before and after.
Old 22-08-2008, 19:16   #75
God Member

Quote:
If it does not work correctly, it might prevent the compressor from running correctly so it may have to run for longer and use more power. There is only one way of telling. Like I said before, measure power used before and after.
Ok - you have convinced me - will put it back in cupboard

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..