Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2010, 18:32   #1

Handheld gps

Hubby wants one of these for his birthday has anyone used one or knows about them we do quite a lot of walking but not much good at map reading thought one of these might be helpful
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2010, 18:54   #2

Re: Handheld gps

Stuck for a new gadget is he? lol

Check on upgrade ability of it, ensure you get one that enables you to replace the maps next year etc, and check how much the maps cost too.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 19:48   #3
Senior Member+

I doubt if a GPS will have maps on it, the normal GPS shows the co-ordinates and you read a map to see where you are, allow for the magnetic variation otherwise you will be miles off course.

A sat nav system has maps loaded on so you can see where you are but they need updating for motor car navigation but not very often.

GPS for walking over hills and dales don't have roads or footpaths on but if you keep a record of your co-ordinates every mile or so you can retrace your steps if you get lost.

Another point to remember is that even if you know the co-ordinates of a place you want to visit and enter it into a GPS it will only point you in a straight line to it so you must enter waypoints around lakes and streams etc. They are not toys.
I spent many hours at Fleetwood nautical college before I got brave enough to use one at sea, I know it's a bit different but if you are on top of Pendle in a thick mist the results are the same.

Take care.

Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 06:45   #4
God Member

you can get ordanence maps for things like tomtom and garmin im pretty sure iv seen them knocking around the internet

as for hand held satnav altough i have an origional tomtom unit i do have tomtom installed on my nokia n95 so if you have a mobile phone with built in gps liek mine it could be cheaper to install satnav and ordanance maps into your phone

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 07:44   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i do have tomtom installed on my nokia n95
I have Garmin on my N95. How recent are the tomtom maps?
Old 26-01-2010, 08:33   #6

I have an old Garmin GPSIII in the glove box of my car - it's been there for about 4 years.

When I wanted to know my lat/long on Friday (doing map reading with the cubs) I just went to the status page on TomTom.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 09:47   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have Garmin on my N95. How recent are the tomtom maps?
about 2 years , i have the latest pocket gps camera database which is 10000000000x more acurate than tomtoms

its only my phone tomtom so im not too bothered about maps but im sure if i dug deeper i could find newer ones.Now i have the 8gb n95 i may as well put the whole world on so i can sit planning trips to faraway countries i will never visit when im bored lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 26-01-2010, 21:01   #8

I have a £1.99 map I got from a petrol station, its always worked well for me
Old 26-01-2010, 22:57   #9
God Member

but tomtom leaves your hands free to text

Old 27-01-2010, 07:10   #10

I use an "ErIndoors Mk1" for hands free map reading.
Old 27-01-2010, 08:12   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
about 2 years , i have the latest pocket gps camera database which is 10000000000x more acurate than tomtoms
You you have my email still?
Old 27-01-2010, 08:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
I use an "ErIndoors Mk1" for hands free map reading.
Tried that - but it was faulty.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..