Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 19:44   #1

HBC Policy On Cardboard Collection?

I live in Rishton in a 1 bed flat with my partner and just don't have room to store cardboard ready for its fortnightly collection. I have spoken to HBC who don't really seem be bothered about sorting out the problem of where and how to store the cardboard. When we moved in to our property in 2008 we were told to bundle the cardboard up and put it out for collection.

But it's not practical to does this as we live on a bend and the wind off the corner blows the cardboard all over the street. I asked if I could put in either a wheely bin or into my blue box and many times they refused to collect it when I did. I was told the reason was because the wagon that picks up the cardboard is a flatbed with a cage and there's no lifting equipment on the wagon to attach the bin onto. We also have no sort of container to store it while in the flat.

We have on our street a recycling point which I requested for paper, plastic bottles, tin and glass, but nothing for cardboard.

Another suggestion was take the cardboard to the local recycling centre in Gt Harwood, problem is I don't drive and why should I do the council's job for them, they get paid for doing it, I don't.

Has anybody got any suggestions?
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2011, 20:56   #2
God Member

Re: HBC Policy On Cardboard Collection?

aye they are a bit fussy about what they will take

i rang up asking them to take a plastic bumper off my old pegeout 307 and they refused

i asked if they would take away a childs plastic car and they said yes

i asked if they would takeaway the bumper off a childs toy plastic car and they said yes they would

i asked if they would take away the plastic bumper off my childs to scale toy car modeled on the pegeout 307 and they said no

on the plus side it doubled up nicely as a sledge when we had snow so its not all bad

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 21:00   #3
God Member

Ask one of your local councillors. Don't expect a reply off the Tory ones but I'm sure the Labour ones will answer
Old 06-03-2011, 21:27   #4
Give, give, give member

I very rarely have cardboard.

When I have, I tie it as small and flat as possible, and wedge it next to the blue box.

My cardboard is collected before the other recycling, but they've always replaced the emptied blue box to it's position as a wedge.

Sorry I can't offer anymore help.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 22:53   #5

I've emailed HBC and i'll email Ken or Harry see if they can do something.
Old 06-03-2011, 23:02   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh will get more sense outa those 2 than H.B.C. i would imagine.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:29   #7
Give, give, give member

There was a recent report in the press that we might have just two recycling containers in the near future.

Hyndburn residents could have just two recycling bins (From Blackburn Citizen)

Old 07-03-2011, 08:02   #8
Resting in Peace

I wedge mine under the lid of the wheelie bin.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26   #9
Resting in Peace

Well I live in a flat and I get plenty of cardboard and have never had any problems what-so-ever storing it or with it being collected, sometime I really do wonder just what people want from the council, think we've been turned into a true nanny state at times
Old 07-03-2011, 13:05   #10
God Member

well doing the job we pay them to do would be a good start.Its bad enough the council to insist we sperate and sort our rubbish so at the very least they should take away the extra we sometimes find ourselves with.

perhaps if councils wernt so fussy about what they took away there would be less fly tipping ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 13:45   #11

That's exactly it. They're paid to do it we're not. Why should we wash our jars and tins and put them in the correct bag. We're doing 90% of the work for them.
Old 07-03-2011, 14:10   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
That's exactly it. They're paid to do it we're not. Why should we wash our jars and tins and put them in the correct bag. We're doing 90% of the work for them.
Local councils have recycling targets set my central government, which if they don't reach has financial implications.

If we didn't sort it, we'd be paying more.

Simple as.

Small price to pay, as far as I'm concerned.

Still, takes all sorts.

Some people probably get their food cut up for them, because it's too much effort.

Or even chewed by their Mummy, like a baby bird.

Old 07-03-2011, 18:08   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Local councils have recycling targets set my central government, which if they don't reach has financial implications.

Simple as.

Still, takes all sorts.

Some people probably get their food cut up for them, because it's too much effort.

And don't forget G. get their backsides wiped as well, but even them some people still wouldn't be satisfied
Old 07-03-2011, 19:24   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Quote:

Simple as.

Still, takes all sorts.

Nice post.

Who is it who thinks we have a broken society and thinks he can turn it into a big society.

I think he is right about the first bit and some posts on here suggest he is but the second is a bit off the mark.

Quote:
Glad we don't all think like that or people like me and the many groups I work with might not be working with the Council to raise £100,000's to improve Hyndburn for ours and others children.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:24   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well you know the answer don't bother just throw them in with the rest of the rubbish,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..