Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 18:50   #1

Heating Help

Hi have had a problem with my livingroom radiator since i moved in, the landlord sent plumber round, he has been 3 times to it, the ones upstairs are fine, but the livingroom and kitchen are cold. It was only the livingroom one that was lukewarm. The livingroom one was de-sludged and since then it has had cleaning stuff put in, and its still cold.

I don't know what to do, im freezing !!!

I can't understand why its cold, the preasure is correct too, when the others are all turned off the livingroom ones does get warm..... just a bit unsure on what to do.... i wouldlike to take it off the wall n stick hose in it....

ANY help would be goooooood....
mark2004uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2012, 19:06   #2

Re: Heating Help

Hi Mark

WEe've had a similar problem and had to get a plumbers advice he suggested that we turn off the radiators upstairs and turn down the control on the boiler and after an hour or say it did work and the downstairs radiators did work. He felt that the pump was not efficient enough to get round the whole system - we also had no hot water until we did the above

We had to have a pump replaced but the above worked prior to the pump being replaced

Good luck no fun not having heating at the moment

hope this helps

If not I can let you have his tel no (pm me) - he will advise you over the phone if you need help

Last edited by hedman2003; 05-02-2012 at 19:09.
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:19   #3
Senior Member+

Sometimes you can get an airlock in a pipe. Try turning all the radiators off except one of the cold ones.Run the central heating until(if?) it gets hot. Then bleed the air out of it and turn it off and the other cold one on. Do the same process.
The full pressure of the system going to one radiator may blow the air bubble out of the piping and into that radiator.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Sometimes you can get an airlock in a pipe. Try turning all the radiators off except one of the cold ones.Run the central heating until(if?) it gets hot. Then bleed the air out of it and turn it off and the other cold one on. Do the same process.
The full pressure of the system going to one radiator may blow the air bubble out of the piping and into that radiator.
The downstairs rads are the double ones with the little bleeding thing on the back of each one, how the hell do i get to them ?
Old 05-02-2012, 21:11   #5
Senior Member+

On the back? Never seen that. But you should have a bleeder key(like the ones used to wind up wall clocks).There should be enough clearance between the radiator and the wall to push into the bleed valve-turn anticlockwise until you hear a hiss(if there's air in) until the air stops and drops of water come out.Then close.
Whatever you do don't unscrew it too far or the valve will fall out and you'll have the same mess I once had!!
If you haven't got a key B&Q or the other stores sell them.
Old 05-02-2012, 22:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
On the back? Never seen that. But you should have a bleeder key(like the ones used to wind up wall clocks).There should be enough clearance between the radiator and the wall to push into the bleed valve-turn anticlockwise until you hear a hiss(if there's air in) until the air stops and drops of water come out.Then close.
Whatever you do don't unscrew it too far or the valve will fall out and you'll have the same mess I once had!!
If you haven't got a key B&Q or the other stores sell them.
Yeah the rad has 2 sections front and back each as a bleed valve on top right at the back, the pumber said they are old and worn away, I have a normal key as the upstairs ones are a normal bleed valve.
Old 06-02-2012, 21:22   #7

I turned off all others today and bled this one, the pipe below the thermo thingy was warm, and the top of the rad got a lil warm, i have ordered a new valve, when it comes im gonna replace it and empty the rad n stick hose in it. I also notice when i put the heat on to constant, it wont stay on,,,
Old 06-02-2012, 22:23   #8
Senior Member+

Mark, you gave me an idea when you mentioned the 'thermo thingy'.
It might be the 'thingy' is jammed part shut- it's happened to me!
Below the 'thermo thingy' is a knurled ring which unscrews so the thermostat control lifts off. When you take it off there's a small brass shaft sticking up- this is the control which the temp control pushes down to control the temperature- it can stick down.!
Use a pair of pliers and see if it can be pulled up and if when it's up you can press it up and down and it moves. Pull it up and see what happens- the radiator may well get hot.
If the pipe below it is warm the water is getting to the radiator, it just can't get passed the valve.Pulling it up opens the valve and it may well work-it did for me, sorry I didn't think of it before.
Old 13-02-2012, 19:49   #9

R8 I got a new TRV and I drained the system and i spent over an hour in the yard cleaning out the rad with descaler and the water in the end was more or less clear, i did fill it up with hot tap water and the rad still had a few coldish spots, I popped it back on the wall and re-filled and bled everything, and still nowt !

I have the Halstead Ace boiler and im sure it needs a new flow thing, the on light flashes if its on too long..... and according tot he book its a flow summat... the only other thing I can think of is the pump is going, if i turn off all the rads in the house the livingroom one does get warmish.... I have done all i can i think you would agree in cleaning and getting this fecking rad to warm up, it will be bloody summer before it gets mended
Old 13-02-2012, 19:57   #10
God Member

pm derek gas on here, he is the expert in heating matters

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 20:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
pm derek gas on here, he is the expert in heating matters
cheers I will look for him, can u point him the direction of this post for me?
Old 13-02-2012, 20:16   #12
Senior Member+

Mark, you've certainly tried, I'm lost now, contacting derek gas is a good idea.
But if you're in rented accommodation isn't it the landlords job to see the system is safe and in working order?
Old 13-02-2012, 20:20   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2004uk View Post
cheers I will look for him, can u point him the direction of this post for me?
Just send him a personal message, look him up in the members list under the community link at the top of the page. He is brilliant with all things gas and heating, put in a system for me last year.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 20:21   #14

I have found Derek and pointed him to this, my landlords agents have sent the plumber over a few times, he has put some stuff in my pipes twice and thats all really, I think I have spent more time on it tbh and done more on it... I sick of telling them it don't work
Old 14-02-2012, 18:01   #15
Senior Member+

Tell your landlord that the heating system isn't fit for purpose, mention holding back some of the rent till it's sorted, he might move a bit quicker then! ( have you had annual gas check done on property by landlord's plumber/ gas chap? He should have flagged it up on his report of which you and your landlord should get a copy)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..