Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 21:20   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Home Remedies

It is also a very effective treatment for mouth ulcers....and yes it does taste like devils wee-wee(bi-carb, that is)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2008, 21:25   #17
God Member

When diarrheoa happens dont just drink lots of water - make your own rehydration salts
8 teaspoons of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt, dissolved in 1 quart of water.

Using the correct proportions matters

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:17   #18
Senior Member+

Not being one for inoculations,I've recently acquired influenza from some infectious walking Petri dish.
When it comes to illness, I believe that natural remedies tend to be the best solution.There are a number of alternative remedies that work well and cost next to nothing to knock together.I'll spare you the big Pharma rant and how these kind of remedies represent a potential loss of billions.

Now,I'm going to attempt making a flu syrup by boiling some water and adding dried elderberries,a stick of cinnamon, a few cloves and honey in a bid beat this "man flu" also for my sinus issues I'm going to put a few drops of tea tree oil in steaming water and inhale the vapour.

Do any of you know a natural remedy which in their opinion is better than over priced pharmaceutical products?
I'd be particularly interested in reading any headache,nagging or stress remedies at the minute

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:29   #19
Beacon of light

For your cold/flu symptoms......inhale steam regularly......and steam on its own is a good way to ease the congestion and stop the bugs from making happy families. It also loosens any of the gunk that might lurk on your chest...making it easier to cough up.

For the aches and pains take regular paracetamol......no more that 8 tablets in 24 hours.
I know that this a pharma product, but it is a cheap and effective way to deal with the aches and pains.(two paracetamol have the pain relieving properties of 10mg of morphine, so just because it is an over the counter remedy, do not think it is a poor pain reliever).

Drink plenty of fluids......honey and lemon in a base of ginger beer(warmed in the microwave) is good for sore raspy throats.
And you know how to tell if it is a cold or flu...try the ten pound note test if you have a cold and see a tenner lying on the floor you will pick it up...if you have flu, you can't get out of bed to see anything let alone a tenner lying on the floor.
Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 01-02-2015 at 12:32.
Old 01-02-2015, 14:34   #20
Senior Member+

Thanks M, I feel like muck my muscles are aching a bit but, I've had a (500mg) paracetamol, I wouldn't have 8 para's in a week let alone 24hrs ...I'm sure I'll be fine.
Do you recommend steam on it own as apposed to with tea tree oil?

I'd be lucky to find a tenner with our peg about she's much better eye sight than me

I don't suppose you know of any tried and tested remedies to help with bronchitis do you?
I bought some mullein online after MargaretR recommend it and it's helped it's it's just its a tad harsh at the moment.
Thanks again

password--Accyweb
Old 01-02-2015, 14:47   #21
Beacon of light

Keep having steam inhalations.....and the best way to have this is in a kitchen jug.....using the pourer spout as a place to rest your nose and closing off the mouth of the jug with the lower half of your face........that way you get the maximum effect from the steam.
Repeat the inhalations every two or three hours.
If you are troubled by a cough, cover the soles of your feet with Vicks......don't ask me how it works, but it is better than any other way of controlling a cough.....especially at night.
(Make sure you wear old socks though)
Old 01-02-2015, 14:52   #22
Beacon of light

You need to take regular doses of paracetamol, it keeps your temperature under control and relieves the muscle aches....if you do not take it on a regular basis then it cannot do a good job.
No-one takes paracetamol for fun, and there is absolutely no point in being a martyr to the symptoms when you do not need to.
The condition will have its time out but there is no sensible reason to suffer any more than you have to.
Old 01-02-2015, 15:58   #23
God Member

If you get night leg cramps (known as charley horse), I offer the solution.

Magnesium oil - not really like oil, but 'slippery water'.
It doesn't stain and dries to a white powder

The magnesium sinks through the skin and causes the muscles to relax.
The cramp eases off in minutes, so you wont spend half and hour limping around the bedroom.

Magnesium is a mineral essential to many bodily functions but produces loose bowels for some (me) - think Epsom Salts!

Skin absorption bypasses the digestion and provides the mineral without bad side effects.

You can make your own using epsom salts but I buy ready made and the largest size - I decant it into a small spray bottle kept at my bedside.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bronzeagenu...=magnesium+oil

Old 01-02-2015, 16:34   #24
God Member

To prevent a cold from causing a chest infection I use Lomatium throughout the winter months.

I grows in the eastern US and is expensive, but I prefer prevention rather than cure.
If your chest is already infected it will loosen the mucus - coughing to clear it is essential to recovery.

Lomatium dissectum as an anti-viral and anti-bacterial herbal medicine."
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00

Old 01-02-2015, 16:48   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You need to take regular doses of paracetamol, it keeps your temperature under control and relieves the muscle aches....if you do not take it on a regular basis then it cannot do a good job.
No-one takes paracetamol for fun, and there is absolutely no point in being a martyr to the symptoms when you do not need to.
The condition will have its time out but there is no sensible reason to suffer any more than you have to.
Thanks for the advice M, I bear it in mind.
I'll probably have another (250mg) paracetamol before bed.i know what your saying about regular dosage though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If you get night leg cramps (known as charley horse), I offer the solution.

Magnesium oil - not really like oil, but 'slippery water'.
It doesn't stain and dries to a white powder

The magnesium sinks through the skin and causes the muscles to relax.
The cramp eases off in minutes, so you wont spend half and hour limping around the bedroom.

Magnesium is a mineral essential to many bodily functions but produces loose bowels for some (me) - think Epsom Salts!

Skin absorption bypasses the digestion and provides the mineral without bad side effects.

You can make your own using epsom salts but I buy ready made and the largest size - I decant it into a small spray bottle kept at my bedside.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bronzeagenu...=magnesium+oil
Our peg swears by that Apple cider vinegar stuff as well as Epsom salts for her foot cramps,have you had any experience with it?
I've hear its a must for any home remedy kit.

password--Accyweb
Old 01-02-2015, 16:52   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

Our peg swears by that Apple cider vinegar stuff as well as Epsom salts for her foot cramps,have you had any experience with it?
I've hear its a must for any home remedy kit.
I avoid anything acidic because I have a hiatus hernia - no citrus fruits, no vinegar. Even uncooked tomatoes give me heartburn.

Old 01-02-2015, 16:53   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
To prevent a cold from causing a chest infection I use Lomatium throughout the winter months.

I grows in the eastern US and is expensive, but I prefer prevention rather than cure.
If your chest is already infected it will loosen the mucus - coughing to clear it is essential to recovery.

Lomatium dissectum as an anti-viral and anti-bacterial herbal medicine."
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00
My chest is rattling a little,I've grated some ginger and I'm having it with lemon,honey and hot water.
I've also bought some bronchitis syrup stuff from poundshop

password--Accyweb
Old 02-02-2015, 08:00   #28
God Member

turmeric and warm milk (honey to taste) helps with cold symptoms

turmeric also helps with memory
Old 02-02-2015, 08:56   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
turmeric and warm milk (honey to taste) helps with cold symptoms

turmeric also helps with memory
Thanks flashy,turmeric is another all rounder when it comes to remedies...

...as well as memory it also helps with inflammation

password--Accyweb
Old 02-02-2015, 11:35   #30
Senior Member+

Everyone has a remedy,that little secret mother always said worked wonders.
I'd like to point out though none of the info in these 'remedies' threads should ever be taken as 'medical advice'.....they are basically saying 'it worked for my mothers friends cousin, you should try it'.....what I'm trying to say is 'please be careful' how you use this sort of info

Is there any truth in the "nature holds all the cures" theory?

I was told about the health benefits of using peach,ginger and banana to make a "smoothie" today....apparently "it's good for folk like me" who have respiratory issues. Hmmm

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..