Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2013, 13:50   #46

Re: Homemade beauty tips

I use mostly castor and coconut oils as I've detailed above.
Refined products are the worst. I'd be more inclined to use soya oil than to eat any products made from the soya bean. I wouldn't eat castor oil either because it's so thick and 'gloopy'-but I doubt it would do me much harm if I did.

But anyway.

It's this that made me particularly want soybean oil.

Where are the Cures? - Medicine at Michigan Summer 2011
(detailed about halfway down the page).

NB-001 Treatment of Recurrent Herpes Labialis - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Potential cure for viruses-makes me wonder if it would help with follicle infections too as some of those are caused by viruses.

Last edited by Sunflower49; 15-03-2013 at 13:59.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2013, 17:37   #47

Sorry can't contribute to this thread (as i don't have any tips), but am loving all the tips, and will have to try some out

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 18:06   #48
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Sorry can't contribute to this thread (as i don't have any tips), but am loving all the tips, and will have to try some out
Well here's another for you put cow muck in a coffee jar, put in enough hot water to liquefy it, then when it's cooled dip your finger nails in, guaranteed to stop you biting them.

How do I know?

I don't I make it up as I go along.

Same as the beauticians that create a new word for water!
maxthecollie likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 18:09   #49
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I wouldn't eat castor oil either because it's so thick and 'gloopy'-but I doubt it would do me much harm if I did.
Depends on what you call harm...
Castor oil is a stimulant and lubricating laxative. It is not a preferred treatment, because it can produce painful cramps, fecal incontinence and explosive diarrhea. Its action can go on for hours, sometimes unpredictably and powerfully causing an involuntary bowel movement at inconvenient locations and during sleep. Initially, castor oil is digested in the small intestine. When the digestion is complete, it enters the large intestine and produces a feeling of hot diarrhea pressing on the anal sphincter. The slightest relaxation of the anal sphincter causes fecal incontinence. After a certain point in time, it is impossible to retain, especially in the larger doses.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:13   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Castor oil is a stimulant and lubricating laxative. It is not a preferred treatment, because it can produce painful cramps, fecal incontinence and explosive diarrhea. Its action can go on for hours, sometimes unpredictably and powerfully causing an involuntary bowel movement at inconvenient locations and during sleep. Initially, castor oil is digested in the small intestine. When the digestion is complete, it enters the large intestine and produces a feeling of hot diarrhea pressing on the anal sphincter. The slightest relaxation of the anal sphincter causes fecal incontinence. After a certain point in time, it is impossible to retain, especially in the larger doses.
Sounds very much like a dose of paraffin, it don't taste nice and really you should be sat on the bog when forced to take it.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:17   #51
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Sounds very much like a dose of paraffin, it don't taste nice and really you should be sat on the bog when forced to take it.
Sure does Less, though fortunately I've not had the pleasure of either.

Our cat had some paraffin once and it certainly had the desired effect.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:20   #52
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't eat soya beans in any form.
I doubt you will find any that haven't been genetically modified.
The japanese only consume soy after fermentation (soy sauce)

Soybean Oil: Another Harmful Ingredient in Processed Foods
Quote:
I know this.You do seem to assume that other people are very much below your level of knowledge. Many are, but not as many as you think.
I wouldn't bet on it. That's quite a patronising remark I would say.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:30   #53

Quote:
I think it has been used to relieve constipation so that would make sense. I've found it very useful in health and beauty treatments when used externally, though.

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on it. That's quite a patronising remark I would say.
It wasn't meant to be patronising.

I had made a valid query and was given a load of links to things that I know about,that weren't related to my query at all.

Same as this member has done in the past to me several times, when I think back. The links and response weren't related to the question I asked, in this post or in past posts, and assumptions are being made about my level of knowledge and perception. It would be reasonable to expect me to know about soya and human health, and I'm careful to not sound rude in my responses. If I wanted to inform someone, I may ask first if they knew about the consequences of certain things or offer to help, not assume that they do not know.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:31   #54

Quote:
I know this.You do seem to assume that other people are very much below your level of knowledge. Many are, but not as many as you think.
You are falling into the same trap that she has been in for years,

Why assume people are below your level of intelligence or even ignorance?
Most are surprisingly aware, and often react negatively towards displays of conceit. whether it's hers, you'rs or mine.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:41   #55

Curse of the human condition I suppose. I like to help if someone asks a question and I know the answer, and I share knowledge but I am more cautious about it-and if it was me responding to my post, I would have probably added something like 'Are you aware of the dangers of soya foods?' Not readily assumed I didn't know. I was asking about the oil, and given this is a home-made beauty tips thread, It's quite clear that I wasn't interested in eating it.I want some for skin conditions, and I asked if she knew where to get some from.
Then again the reasons for the controversy of processed soya foods are not apparent with the oil, anyway.
Old 16-03-2013, 19:23   #56
Resting In Peace

Sugarmouse, I know you are not rude in your replies.

We obviously have different ways of responding with information.

I spent many years as an internet researcher and it's automatic to me to look for information if someone mentions a topic. I would then post the answer whether the person asked for info or not. And it wouldn't be because I was making assumptions about a person's level of knowledge. It might be of interest to others as well.

I believe Margaret works along the same lines.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 16-03-2013, 19:31   #57

I agree about it being of relevance to others-I did consider that at the time, and yes we are different, I do hold it important to not sound abrupt when I post on forums, and it isn't so important to others. I wouldn't have said anything had it been the first/only time.
I've never found anything you've posted to be anything but informative and polite, though.

As regards my initial query I went to all sorts of different places recently trying to buy soya oil and came back empty handed!Strange that nowhere sells it yet we use soya for all sorts of different things.
I've ordered some online anyway
susie123 likes this.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:36   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sugarmouse, I know you are not rude in your replies.

We obviously have different ways of responding with information.

I spent many years as an internet researcher and it's automatic to me to look for information if someone mentions a topic. I would then post the answer whether the person asked for info or not. And it wouldn't be because I was making assumptions about a person's level of knowledge. It might be of interest to others as well.

I believe Margaret works along the same lines.
I think you and Margaret are two different animals altogether
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 09:55   #59
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think you and Margaret are two different animals altogether
Now that could be a whole new thread... what animals are we?
Old 17-03-2013, 10:11   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Now that could be a whole new thread... what animals are we?
Pass
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..