Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2006, 08:57   #31
I am Banned

Re: Iceland - dont bother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Suppose you'd had to go out at 7pm and had been promised your delivery before 6pm? It's just not acceptable expecting you to be there an hour and a half later to accept frozen stuff. If you hadn't been in what would they have done with it?
They'd send it back to the shop & would have to ring to re-arrange delivery, 4-6pm is the latest delivery slot, they did last year up it so if they had influx of expected deliveries they had a later slot of 6-8pm but not this year.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2006, 09:00   #32
I am Banned

The good idea of Iceland is that those whom like me have to get the bus home or dont drive, can go in & do their shopping hand picked themselves & then get it delivered later on at convienience to you [usually] no other supermarket i know does instore delivery like that without need of the net.
Old 14-12-2006, 09:34   #33
God Member

I guess the only option to those who don't drive is taxis or to struggle on the buses. Not ideal I know. but then it costs a fair amount of money to run a car(Tax, insurance, purchase/depreciation, servicing etc), I guess its you pays your money and takes your choice. For low users, taxis will probably work out a lot cheaper. (based on £10/week for a return trip to a supermarket) its only £500/year. start adding up running a car and its a heck of a lot dearer than that to run even a cheap runabout. (insurance min £200/year, tax another hundred, depreciation minimum £300/year for a nice car start thinking £1K+, servicing/tyres/exhausts/etc, petrol, MOTS)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 09:40   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I guess the only option to those who don't drive is taxis or to struggle on the buses. Not ideal I know. but then it costs a fair amount of money to run a car(Tax, insurance, purchase/depreciation, servicing etc), I guess its you pays your money and takes your choice. For low users, taxis will probably work out a lot cheaper. (based on £10/week for a return trip to a supermarket) its only £500/year. start adding up running a car and its a heck of a lot dearer than that to run even a cheap runabout. (insurance min £200/year, tax another hundred, depreciation minimum £300/year for a nice car start thinking £1K+, servicing/tyres/exhausts/etc, petrol, MOTS)
Hehehehe that makes it sound cheap but isnt your initial outlay with a car is expensive but once u have it its at your disposal everyday, but £500 per year once a week return trip to the supermarket is outragious - once a week return . But i've no choice have i so buggered - i hate shopping as it is so going to hate it even more now
Old 14-12-2006, 09:44   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Hehehehe that makes it sound cheap but isnt your initial outlay with a car is expensive but once u have it its at your disposal everyday, but £500 per year once a week return trip to the supermarket is outragious - once a week return . But i've no choice have i so buggered - i hate shopping as it is so going to hate it even more now

Young uns can walk one way so it's £250 per year
Old 14-12-2006, 09:49   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Young uns can walk one way so it's £250 per year
Oh dear dont get me started i may hide your car keys, so u can practice what u preach
Old 14-12-2006, 10:20   #37
God Member

Once a week is perfectly workable for a trip to a supermarket. Thats all I do and if I need anything in an emergency I either go to the local Spar or papershop. You just need to be organised and buy stuff in large enough amounts to last. I even used to do a big monthly shop and top up with small visits to shops inbetween.

Oh, I did forget that if you also happen to have a friend that you can share the taxi with it makes it even cheaper. You just have to be a bit more organised

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 11:54   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Once a week is perfectly workable for a trip to a supermarket. Thats all I do and if I need anything in an emergency I either go to the local Spar or papershop. You just need to be organised and buy stuff in large enough amounts to last. I even used to do a big monthly shop and top up with small visits to shops inbetween.

Oh, I did forget that if you also happen to have a friend that you can share the taxi with it makes it even cheaper. You just have to be a bit more organised
thats me told how to shop not that i've been doing the weekly shop for over 13years

ps my inbox is getting full of reassurances that im not a simpleton

Last edited by accymel; 14-12-2006 at 11:56.
Old 14-12-2006, 11:55   #39
God Member

Quote:
You just have to be a bit more organised
Your'e talking women here, next thing you know you'll be expecting them to multi-task like us too
Old 14-12-2006, 11:59   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Your'e talking women here, next thing you know you'll be expecting them to multi-task like us too
Oi you - just remember that when i bump into you in asda you'll be packing your own bags!
Old 14-12-2006, 12:00   #41
Member.

Quote:
ps my inbox is getting full of reassurances that im not a simpleton
People are just so kind at this time of year….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 12:03   #42
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
People are just so kind at this time of year….
Pmsl cheeky b*gger u just best hope i dont get ladynapped to the Longside
Old 14-12-2006, 12:04   #43
God Member

I once had a run in with Iceland. I had ordered the food and even though it arrived on time....I had popped round to my mums to get something and told the driver to just leave them in the hallway. As I watched him from my mums window he dropped about 3 bags ( trying to carry too many).

When I went round home to un-pack the bags all the bread had been squashed!! a bottle of orange juice was burst and leaking and my kiwi fruits were no-more.

so what do I do??

GET GINGER ON THE JOB!!!! let him loose and watch him go

He got on the phone told them loads of things that were perfect!! were all crunched,squashed ect.... Next thing knock at the door!! Manager with all shopping as it should be and a bottle of wine.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 12:06   #44
Member.

Quote:
Pmsl cheeky b*gger u just best hope i dont get ladynapped to the Longside

hahahahaha, you'll be begging to come back....lol

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 12:08   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
I once had a run in with Iceland. I had ordered the food and even though it arrived on time....I had popped round to my mums to get something and told the driver to just leave them in the hallway. As I watched him from my mums window he dropped about 3 bags ( trying to carry too many).

When I went round home to un-pack the bags all the bread had been squashed!! a bottle of orange juice was burst and leaking and my kiwi fruits were no-more.

so what do I do??

GET GINGER ON THE JOB!!!! let him loose and watch him go

He got on the phone told them loads of things that were perfect!! were all crunched,squashed ect.... Next thing knock at the door!! Manager with all shopping as it should be and a bottle of wine.

Yes they are a bit nortious for that, i had same problem last week with the burst gravy cos it was packed wrong, stupid to put a cardboard tub with a 3ltr cola, & the forgot a bag with my desperately needed milk in, so yeh i complained & got yes the cheapo bottle of plonk as compliments, in fact had a few bottle this year for nich due to errors & complaints which they were so desperate to keep my weekly custom, but this time its gone one too many too far

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..