Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2012, 14:20   #1
Senior Member+

Immediate family?

Just thought one of you lovelys would be able to shed some light for me, as you know my gran died just before Xmas and I had time off work to attend her funeral and also the burial of her ashes, in my employee handbook it states that I can have up to 3 days paid compassionate leave following the death of one of my immediate family.
As I haven't been paid for them do I just presume I'm not entitled to this paid time off? Would my gran be my immediate family (obviously I would say she's immediate family but would my employers?).

Thank you for any help x
Old 13-01-2012, 14:42   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Immediate family?

Sad as it seems, I think most companies do not give compassionate leave for grandparents. I think that immediate family would be parents, spouse or a child.
If your company has a Human Resources Dept(what used to be known as Personnel) they would be able to tell you...ask. You have nothing to lose.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Sad as it seems, I think most companies do not give compassionate leave for grandparents. I think that immediate family would be parents, spouse or a child.
If your company has a Human Resources Dept(what used to be known as Personnel) they would be able to tell you...ask. You have nothing to lose.
This sounds correct, Margaret. Immediate family is as you have stated at my place of work.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:29   #4
Senior Member+

It is only parents or next ofkin
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:43   #5

I think you might be entitled to one day compassionate leave in this case, you really need to discuss it with your line manager and with your human resources department. I had one day compassionate leave granted earlier this year to attend the funeral of my partner's mother down south.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:00   #6

You may need to apply for the special leave as we do at work. Ours covers Grandparents in the list but should you not apply you would just lose the number of days pay.

Check it out with your HR Department.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:46   #7
Senior Member+

Thanks you lot, I checked with them today and they said no but I'm sure it's down to thd manager to make the decision coz I'm sure I got it when my gran died but new manager now so hey ho, not to worry.

Thank you x

Last edited by Mick; 14-01-2012 at 06:07.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..