Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2004, 12:18   #1

Meat Pie

Hi,

I can't buy savoury pies over here in Florida and, being a Bash native, I am really missing the taste of "Hollands." Could any kind lady or gentleman out there please post an authentic "meat pie recipe" that will taste similar to a Hollands meat pie. I will be forever grateful.

Living in hope and hunger,

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2004, 12:20   #2
God Member

Re: Meat Pie

Atarah, where are you?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 17:43   #3
God Member

"That will taste similar to a Hollands meat pie" Eeee, by eck lad that's a good un. If ever Hollands decided to reveal the contents of their pies I think we would all be horrified and puking in the streets. I speak as an ex-employee.

However, try this, from the recipie book of Walter Smith Confectioners of Whalley Road.

Two pounds of best minced beef.
Two large white onions.
A generous dollop of Bisto to thicken
A couple of Oxo Cubes to flavour
Salt and white pepper to taste.

Dice your onions to pieces about a quarter of an inch square, mix with the beef and everything else and leave the mixture to cook slowly for around and hour. When the resulting mix is cooled skim off as much of the fat as you can and put it into a dish lined with shortcrust pastry. Pop on a pastry lid and put into an oven at 425 degrees Farenheit for about 35-45 minutes.

The Bisto is a commercial mix of Cornflour, Salt, Pepper and Colouring. God alone knows what goes into Oxo cubes, but it is supposed to be concentrated meat stock.

Shortcrust is two parts plain flour to one part lard with salt and some water.

I hope this helps.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 19:51   #4
Accrington Web Mascot

Let's face it - no matter what we do, homemade pies never turn out like we want them to! So I would give in, come back to Accy and take a freezer-load of Hollands pies back with you! (And of course if you're here you may as well come out for a drink with us all!)
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 19:55   #5

Hi Acrylic-Bob,

Thank you very much for your recipe, I will certainly try it. Just one thing, when you say mix all together and cook for one hour, am I simmering this in water in a saucepan on the stove top?

Cheers,

JohnW.

JohnW
Old 25-05-2004, 20:08   #6

Thumbs up Re: Meat Pie

Hi Shortstuff,

A good idea, but I don't think they would stay frozen on a 12 hour journey home. Apart from that, no-one is allowed to bring any beef products into the US from the UK since mad cow disease. Crazy I know, but they're paranoid over here about that. I can't even buy beef oxo cubes now. I can get the Lamb, vegetable and chicken type, but not the beef. I will be bringing some back with me though. If they find 'em they'll confiscate 'em. Oh well!

Unfortunately, we are only over for one week which includes two family birthdays, a stag-night, and a family wedding. My only hope of seeing my old mates in Bash is going to be a couple of hours one lunchtime. I'm not even sure I can arrange that yet. Also, we are not based in Accy but Southport. However, it will not be the last time we come over and hopefully we will have the sense to book for at least two weeks next time to provide us with more time to meet old friends and some new ones.

Cheers,

JohnW.

JohnW
Old 26-05-2004, 05:48   #7
God Member

Hi JohnW,

Yes, sorry, cook it in a saucepan and add enough water to make it look like runny porridge. You should aim to have enough water at the end of cooking to allow you to skim the fat off without it getting too mixed up with the meat. For the other type of meat pie ie the ones that are shaped like tins of beans, omit the Bisto, the Oxo and the onion and mix the raw minced beef with water to make a mixture that has the consistency of stiff-ish porridge and pour this into a hot water pastry case and cook for around the same time.
Old 26-05-2004, 10:44   #8

Thanks a lot, I'll bring home the Oxo when I return from England and give it a try.

JohnW
Old 29-05-2004, 21:12   #9
Senior Member+

John w. you think the yanks are crazy.I sell Walkers crisps over here as a side line business abd the Germans have banned Beef flavoured crisps from passing over their borders.
Old 30-05-2004, 06:18   #10
God Member

Surely the Beef ban was lifted in Europe, that was why we took the blasted French to the European Courts and got them done for not allowing British beef back into their shops? I cannot imagine why the Germans should restrict Crisps. I always thought that the flavouring was all chemical based and not related to any animal products.
Old 30-05-2004, 08:02   #11
Senior Member+

All i know a-b is that the agency where i buy the crisps from have taken the beef flavoured crisps off their list as the custom police will not allow them over the border.
Old 11-03-2015, 16:27   #12

I left Lancashire a long time ago to live in Wales. I remember Holland's meat pies very well and they were delicious. Being a chef I am in no doubt that if you knew what was in them you would never eat one again. I might attempt to make one myself and if successful I will give you the recipe. As far as I remember they were made with a hot water pastry. The meat filling was just mince and onion but compressed like a mini meatloaf. When you bite into them hot, lots of juice ran out. I also remember them being very peppery.
Keith J Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 17:10   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith J Bradshaw View Post
I left Lancashire a long time ago to live in Wales.
Keith mate, this thread is from May 2004, think those concerned have probably found some sort of outlet for their cravings.
Old 11-03-2015, 17:36   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith J Bradshaw View Post
I remember Holland's meat pies very well and they were delicious. .
They're not now! They're pork mush and taste disgusting.
You and the colonials have missed the boat long ago, better making your own.
Hard to find proper beef pies now, Greenhalghs aren't bad.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 18:47   #15
Beacon of light

I make my own with good minced steak, onions and home made shortcrust pastry...there is never any left on the plate......so I reckon they must be alright.....at least i know what has gone into them and that they are fresh.
nicola68 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..