Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2008, 15:44   #46
God Member

Re: new bt call plan for those on benefits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

I have no problem with sorting out the won't work brigade but there are many circumstances where people can't work.
Those are the genuine that people who have 2 brain cells to rub together have no problem with.
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2008, 16:25   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Those are the genuine that people who have 2 brain cells to rub together have no problem with.
have to agree Lilly, but the ones I have a problem with are like a guy that I heard of who put in for the Mobility Allowance, he said he wasn't well enough to go for the medical, so the doctor had to come to him, they brought the bed downstairs and when the doc arrived this guy was walking round holding onto the furniture for support, that same afteroon the same chap was seen bodily lifting an engine out of a car. And how do I know about this, he was bragging in the pub, and a few weeks later was driving round in a brand new car provided by motability and as far as I know still is, but by now he's pobably changed the car for a new one on few occasions now
Old 23-10-2008, 17:03   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Have to say im disgusted at the bad attitude to people on benefits genuinely needing help & support
So am I.

I just don't like the inequality of it that's all.
Old 23-10-2008, 17:09   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
have to agree Lilly, but the ones I have a problem with are like a guy that I heard of who put in for the Mobility Allowance, he said he wasn't well enough to go for the medical, so the doctor had to come to him, they brought the bed downstairs and when the doc arrived this guy was walking round holding onto the furniture for support, that same afteroon the same chap was seen bodily lifting an engine out of a car. And how do I know about this, he was bragging in the pub, and a few weeks later was driving round in a brand new car provided by motability and as far as I know still is, but by now he's pobably changed the car for a new one on few occasions now

Makes you wonder how they get through the system. My Dad struggled to get it and he has lost a leg
Old 23-10-2008, 17:19   #50
God Member

Surely the people at fault here are BT, if they can afford to give an offer to one section of the community it should be available to every section.
Old 23-10-2008, 20:35   #51
God Member

I think BT should be offering this discount not only to GENUINE people on Benefits but also to low income families, They are obviously in a position to reduce their fees so why shouldnt it be offered to a wider group? including those who work

flashytart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm just coming off benefits, if i was still on them i wouldnt lower myself to ask for this new 'package' it would make me feel lower than low, there's scrounging off the state and then there's lowering yourself to scrounge for more

Think your wrong there flashy, If something is available to save you money surely you would take it? You and Reece travel on the train quite a lot , If you were to be offered a reduction on your tickets because you were on benefits or a low income , or in recieipt of WTC wouldnt you accept? Just the same to me

Neil...........

I see it like this - everyone should be able to choose whichever package they want to be on regardless of their income as long as they can pay the bill.

Says it all really
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 21:05   #52
God Member

Mel, thats the thing though, i'm not the sort of person to go for that just because i'm on benefits, i buy a railcard every year that saves me money, i cant explain it really but i think i get more than enough from the benefit system to see me through, i'm never in debt with anything and never will be

i think it comes from how my mum brought us up...if you cant afford it then you either save up for it or dont get it at all....

yes i know we arent talking about being in debt, but just because you are on benefits doesnt mean that you have to grab things just because you are on benefits, i dont care what anyone says, the money that the state gives you is enough, if you find yourself struggling then you aren't budgeting right

this is just my opinion, i get my money, i pay my bills, buy shopping, buy clothes if needs be and then after everything has been paid what little is left i try to make it go as far as i can
Old 23-10-2008, 21:52   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
Mel, thats the thing though, i'm not the sort of person to go for that just because i'm on benefits, i buy a railcard every year that saves me money, i cant explain it really but i think i get more than enough from the benefit system to see me through, i'm never in debt with anything and never will be

i think it comes from how my mum brought us up...if you cant afford it then you either save up for it or dont get it at all....

yes i know we arent talking about being in debt, but just because you are on benefits doesnt mean that you have to grab things just because you are on benefits, i dont care what anyone says, the money that the state gives you is enough, if you find yourself struggling then you aren't budgeting right

this is just my opinion, i get my money, i pay my bills, buy shopping, buy clothes if needs be and then after everything has been paid what little is left i try to make it go as far as i can

I can see where your coming from Shaz but I still dont agree with some of your points,
If you get enough from the system Shaz then you are one of the lucky ones, There are many out there that cant manage from what they get and it isnt all from not budgeting, I agree there are some scroungers out there and its those people that stop the genuine ones getting what they are rightfully entitled too.

If there is a bogof offer on at your local shop wouldnt you snap the offer up?
I would for sure.
Still think that things like the bt offer shouldnt just stay with IS based families, There are many working families out there that could also do with a helping hand.
I have known Teachers , airline pilots and many other highly paid people that would def grab hold of a bargain if they could, and thats only because Like me they believe that if they are entitled to an offer why shouldnt they take it. after all they do pay into the system.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 22:10   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Still think that things like the bt offer shouldnt just stay with IS based families, There are many working families out there that could also do with a helping hand.
I have known Teachers , airline pilots and many other highly paid people that would def grab hold of a bargain if they could, and thats only because Like me they believe that if they are entitled to an offer why shouldnt they take it. after all they do pay into the system.
I don't think it should apply only to those on benefits nor should it just include working families. If there is an offer it should be open to all.

No wonder some folk are disillusioned.....you never hear of single homosexual male benefit, do you? Some people never get help with anything.

They pay into the system though.
Old 24-10-2008, 09:00   #55

Can i just point out the difference between income support and Job seekers allowance???

Income support is for people that find it hard to work, lone parent families, etc. Job Seekers Allowance is for people that are capable of working but are not employed. Big difference. Income based Jobseekers allowance is where you are paid benefits as you have paid enought tax throughout the previous year to be able to claim.

Therefore my understanding is this call package is not open to those that are 'milking the system', or long term claimants (bar the lone parents). Also, the debate going on isnt particularly over the call package, more peoples attitudes to those claiming benefits.

To those that have negative opinions to people that claim benefits, I honestly hope you that you never have to face a situation where you end up in the same boat, though in the current financial environment, nothings a surety. Only when you have 'walked in those shoes' do I think you have a clear idea of what it is like
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 09:01   #56

Quote:
I don't think it should apply only to those on benefits nor should it just include working families. If there is an offer it should be open to all.

No wonder some folk are disillusioned.....you never hear of single homosexual male benefit, do you? Some people never get help with anything.

They pay into the system though.
Have you had a drug test recently?
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 10:26   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Makes you wonder how they get through the system. My Dad struggled to get it and he has lost a leg
Because they cheat the system dave, I can remember a chap used to hold court in the vault of a local pub and for a couple of pints he'd give people tips on how to cheat the system, he'd been doing it for years, an he had plenty of takers too
Old 24-10-2008, 10:35   #58
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Also, the debate going on isnt particularly over the call package, more peoples attitudes to those claiming benefits.
Not to me it isn't. My problem is will the prejudiced nature of this call package.

The benefit system is there to protect us all and I am very pleased that it is.

Quote:
She needed an alcohol test on Sunday morning
Old 24-10-2008, 20:07   #59
God Member

Quote:
I'm not Kerry Katona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
She needed an alcohol test on Sunday morning
I wasn't alone.
Old 24-10-2008, 22:41   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I wasn't alone.
I hope you don't mean me - I was driving and only drank coke all night. You witnesses my normal self

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..