Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 13:24   #136
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

i dont hang up, i just leave the phone n go to another room.
Old 21-12-2010, 21:06   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Nuisance telephone calls.
I have been told to try this below:

Are you, like me, fed up with those constant telephone calls inviting you to order a new kitchen, change your telephone service or informing you that you may have won a holiday?

If you are, you might like to know of a service called the telephone preference service, which allows you to block these cold-canvass callers. It’s a simple to use, free service, and all you need to do is ring the number and select your options. Alternatively you can do the same thing online by accessing the website. The details are as follows:

Telephone: 0845 0700707

Once you register it takes up to 28 days for the service to take effect – but it does work!
.................................................. ..

Hope it helps.
more billions and more thousands more jobs lost, as people cant just say as soon has they sa hello is... all you need to do is say no thank you Goodbye.. you never know you might have to do such a job one day, yes you might hate it but if it keeps people in a job and helps pay the bills.. 30 SECONDS OFF INCONVEIENCE, would avoid more unemployment and less people signing on the dole and you and me paying for it...
RHFOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:24   #138
Beacon of light

No, I do not agree with this at all.

I do not wish to be 'cold called' or canvassed for something that I do not require, often being told that I have won a prize(which is laughable as you cannot win something if you do not enter)...that is why I signed up to the TPS service, and firms who contravene the rules are breaking the law.

If I wish to avail myself of goods and services, I am quite capable of seeking out the services that meet my needs.

I do not wish my meals or any other activities to be interrupted by these callers, many of whom are from the Indian sub continent anyway, (so no jobs being lost in this country)by a caller with a heavy indian accent who calls himself 'Kevin'.

The people who take on these jobs know what they are letting themselves in for and if they can't stand it then they have two choices.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:32   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

I do not wish to be 'cold called' or canvassed for something that I do not require, often being told that I have won a prize(which is laughable as you cannot win something if you do not enter)...that is why I signed up to the TPS service, and firms who contravene the rules are breaking the law.

If I wish to avail myself of goods and services, I am quite capable of seeking out the services that meet my needs.

I do not wish my meals or any other activities to be interrupted by these callers, many of whom are from the Indian sub continent anyway, (so no jobs being lost in this country)by a caller with a heavy indian accent who calls himself 'Kevin'.

The people who take on these jobs know what they are letting themselves in for and if they can't stand it then they have two choices.
good point re loss off jobs in this country, re their choice, sadly sometimes you have to do what you have to do to survive... i do take onboard your having your tea or could ba when your baby is ill and more... i would rarther have time restrictions to when you can call a consumer... your point i will decice when and were i buy goods.. you would be very surprised how many other consumers love it??? again sadly this great source off business as been abused and ruined !!!
Old 21-12-2010, 21:39   #140

Quote:

i missed your kevin point... now here is an example and fact why they call themselves kevin... there is a genuine belief that if they said hi its Abdul or Mohamed people put the phone down as they dont buy off asians or people are R-----S..
i m having trouble

its in the middle
Old 21-12-2010, 21:40   #141
Beacon of light

So why call those who are on the TPS list...those who have registered their personal choice not to receive these calls?....this must cost firms hundred of thousands of pounds for no gain whatsoever, and they risk a hefty fine from the ICO.

Call those folk who aren't registered....they might want to receive these calls....I don't.

There are always other jobs, personally I wouldn't do this job at any price.
Old 21-12-2010, 21:44   #142
Beacon of light

I have no trust in firms who get their call centre workers to adopt an anglicised name on the presumption that I will believe that the person calling me is English.
Don't they think I have the sense to spot the heavy accent?

If they do not tell the truth about who their workers are, then what other lies do they think they can put past me?

I will always give them short shrift.
Old 21-12-2010, 21:45   #143

Quote:
So why call those who are on the TPS list...those who have registered their personal choice not to receive these calls?....this must cost firms hundred of thousands of pounds for no gain whatsoever, and they risk a hefty fine from the ICO.

Call those folk who aren't registered....they might want to receive these calls....I don't.

There are always other jobs, personally I wouldn't do this job at any price.
you cannot call people on tps its an offence, more tps more unemployment, computers will be next, ie emailing... for and against is good debate. :-)
Old 21-12-2010, 21:49   #144

Quote:
I have no trust in firms who get their call centre workers to adopt an anglicised name on the presumption that I will believe that the person calling me is English.
Don't they think I have the sense to spot the heavy accent?

If they do not tell the truth about who their workers are, then what other lies do they think they can put past me?

I will always give them short shrift.
i gave you the reason... so now let me give you a fact and im trying to be very polite by the way.. i did an excercise on just this... guess what abdul had more phone slammers then when he called and said hi its david wanting... now is that because he sounded funny with his dialect, or people dont buy off abduls ??????
if you want to know what type off houses we were ringing at the time?? i cannot tell you on here
Old 21-12-2010, 21:50   #145
Beacon of light

No Jobs will be lost at TPS......TPS is just the register of people who do not wish to be called by sellers and canvassers.
And you need to explain what you mean by 'computers will be next'.

These cold calls are the telegraphic form of 'Spam'....I can control the spam on my computer by using a good spam filter....the TPS is a form of spam filter for telephones
Old 21-12-2010, 21:56   #146
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
i gave you the reason... so now let me give you a fact and im trying to be very polite by the way.. i did an excercise on just this... guess what abdul had more phone slammers then when he called and said hi its david wanting... now is that because he sounded funny with his dialect, or people dont buy off abduls ??????

Oh, I understand the reason, but I don't appreciate being treated as an idiot by the firms that use this tactic.......I can spot an Asian Accent, and it doesn't fool anyone.
I would not buy anything from a cold caller, I prefer to research products and choose where I purchase my goods and services from.

I actually don't care where the cold caller is phoning from...what I care about is that they should not be calling me at all.

And yes of course you are polite, it is what is expected on this family forum.
Old 21-12-2010, 22:00   #147

Quote:
Oh, I understand the reason, but I don't appreciate being treated as an idiot by the firms that use this tactic.......I can spot an Asian Accent, and it doesn't fool anyone.
I would not buy anything from a cold caller, I prefer to research products and choose where I purchase my goods and services from.

I actually don't care where the cold caller is phoning from...what I care about is that they should not be calling me at all.

And yes of course you are polite, it is what is expected on this family forum.
thats your right, i said polite as things get misconstrued in threads/texting, i always try and be polite..
Old 21-12-2010, 22:03   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
if you want to know what type off houses we were ringing at the time?? i cannot tell you on here
its not about lies its about strategy and facts, some off the biggest high street companies use this strategy!!!
Old 21-12-2010, 22:06   #149

Quote:
No Jobs will be lost at TPS......TPS is just the register of people who do not wish to be called by sellers and canvassers.
And you need to explain what you mean by 'computers will be next'.

These cold calls are the telegraphic form of 'Spam'....I can control the spam on my computer by using a good spam filter....the TPS is a form of spam filter for telephones
i meant more people on tps means less consumers to call so less employees needed..
Old 21-12-2010, 22:08   #150
Beacon of light

Me too(polite).
They might call it a strategy, but I call it lies....you can dress it up anyway you want, but it will never be the truth, what is worse is that it is an obvious untruth.......and just because large multi-nationals do it, doesn't make it right, or for that matter acceptable.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..