Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2009, 12:36   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

had none fer months, last few weeks have started again 2/3 a week, usually first words are " Congratulations You........... don't know the rest as i just put phone down on fireplace n continue with me life.
Old 17-05-2009, 12:38   #62
Beacon of light

well if you read my blog you will know how I treat these calls........I haven't had any for months now......hope I'm not speaking too soon here.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 12:47   #63
Senior Member+

i get at least one every week day, i just put the phone down but they carry on! if you pick the phone up they are still there, thats annoying!
this hs just reminded me to do the telephone preference thing.. dunno where they are getting my number from, i never give it out, can hardly ever remember it lol and i'm ex-directory (i am now, thanks to neil )

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 19:04   #64
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
i get at least one every week day, i just put the phone down but they carry on! if you pick the phone up they are still there, thats annoying!
this hs just reminded me to do the telephone preference thing.. dunno where they are getting my number from, i never give it out, can hardly ever remember it lol and i'm ex-directory (i am now, thanks to neil )
They don't use the phone book they have auto dialers 01254 ??????, it just keeps dialing numbers till someone answers, get them abou once a month, and I've been ex dir since day 1.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 23:43   #65

Many months ago I had a nuisance caller, he was very abusive on the phone & kept ringing back.

I contacted BT & they offered me a free trial of a service called "right to refuse" or something like that, where I can call a number directly after the nuisance call & then that callers number gets banned.

Anyway, he never called back again so a few weeks later I rang BT & cancelled the service, said I didn't want to have it so I should nothave been paying anything for it.

I noticed last week that I have been paying for it since January!
I rang & got them to cancel those charges & refund them.

SO watch your bills if you do owt like this.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 06:44   #66
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
.. dunno where they are getting my number from, i never give it out, can hardly ever remember it lol and i'm ex-directory (i am now, thanks to neil )
That made me look like a stalker.
I seam to remember you thought you were ex-directory anyway until I pointed out you were not.
Old 18-05-2009, 06:54   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Nuisance telephone calls.
I have been told to try this below:

Are you, like me, fed up with those constant telephone calls inviting you to order a new kitchen, change your telephone service or informing you that you may have won a holiday?

If you are, you might like to know of a service called the telephone preference service, which allows you to block these cold-canvass callers. It’s a simple to use, free service, and all you need to do is ring the number and select your options. Alternatively you can do the same thing online by accessing the website. The details are as follows:

Telephone: 0845 0700707

Once you register it takes up to 28 days for the service to take effect – but it does work!
.................................................. ..

Hope it helps.
If this does not stop them buy yourself a whistle and when they ring up blow it has loud as you can, if this does'nt stop them and you know their telephone number ring them as often as possible at the most unlikely time eg 3am in the morning.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 08:14   #68

This new product looks great if a little pricy Buy a trueCall Nuisance Call Blocker, #TRUECALL_001 - eXpansys UK it was featured on Dragons den apparently very clever piece of kit
Old 17-07-2009, 09:09   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

An interesting gadget. BBC - Dragons' Den - Entrepreneurs - Steve Smith
Old 17-07-2009, 09:11   #70
Resting in Peace

The easiest way to stop nuisance phone calls is to bar Neils phone
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 22:56   #71

Recently I have been getting calls about changing my power supply people, Gas Electricity ETC...All the calls are from a call centre in India..They quote a web site that I visited as to where they got my phone No..When I say rubbish, I am told that I did a survey on line. The answer is don't do surveys on line, and NEVER put your phone No in a web site or other such place.....Tony
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 09:02   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot1002 View Post
Recently I have been getting calls about changing my power supply people, Gas Electricity ETC...All the calls are from a call centre in India..They quote a web site that I visited as to where they got my phone No..When I say rubbish, I am told that I did a survey on line. The answer is don't do surveys on line, and NEVER put your phone No in a web site or other such place.....Tony
There are those of use that wouldn't consider doing that as a matter of course, next time you get a call tell them your on the preferred caller list and see how long it takes for the line to go dead
Old 28-03-2010, 09:03   #73
Beacon of light

If you are signed up for this service then the caller has to have your permission to call you.
My suggestion when you get one of these phone call is ask the caller if they have your permission, and when the premission was given.
If they cannot respond(because you haven't given permission) then threaten to contact the Information Commissioners office with their details. Tell them that the ICO take a dim view of unsolicited calls as they are illegal, and it may result in severe penalties for the firm concerned.

Automated calls.
I have had a number of these recently. Ok you can just put the handset down....but y ou can be very sure that if you do this they will continue to call.
I stayed on the line and pressed the number as directed and was put through to a debt management company.
The heavily accented voice on the other end gave the name of the company(lovely)......I asked if he knew that these calls were illegal...he spluttered a bit and asked if I wanted my name removing from their calling list......well, of course I did! RESULT....no more calls from this company.
I hope that my suggestions will further help you to eliminate this electronic nuisance from your life.
Old 28-03-2010, 10:06   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If you are signed up for this service then the caller has to have your permission to call you.
My suggestion when you get one of these phone call is ask the caller if they have your permission, and when the premission was given.
If they cannot respond(because you haven't given permission) then threaten to contact the Information Commissioners office with their details. Tell them that the ICO take a dim view of unsolicited calls as they are illegal, and it may result in severe penalties for the firm concerned.

Automated calls.
I have had a number of these recently. Ok you can just put the handset down....but you can be very sure that if you do this they will continue to call.
I stayed on the line and pressed the number as directed and was put through to a debt management company.
The heavily accented voice on the other end gave the name of the company(lovely)......I asked if he knew that these calls were illegal...he spluttered a bit and asked if I wanted my name removing from their calling list......well, of course I did! RESULT....no more calls from this company.
I hope that my suggestions will further help you to eliminate this electronic nuisance from your life.
The only problem is Margaret there are more and more calls coming from overseas which Call preference can't do anything about. I always 1471 any of these calls and usually he answer is We do not have the number to return the call, which means it as come from abroad
Old 28-03-2010, 11:17   #75
Beacon of light

Jaysay, they are still subject to the regulations set by the ICO....and often a threat of contacting the ICO will do it.......it is worth a try.

I usually ask who the call is being made on behalf of....so I try to get their company name first.......some call centre operators are wise and will try to stall you, but a mention of the ICO and the fact that the call is illegal has worked for me on numerous occasions. This applies to those who come up as number witheld.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..