Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 20:14   #121

Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

google 'who calls me' its good to find out exactly who is calling you and you can get lots of info about the comapny and how to deal with them.
Miaowzinzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2010, 21:17   #122
Beacon of light

I ask the caller the name of their company...then I tell them I am going to contact the Commissioner of Informations' Office....the usual response is 'click' and a dead line.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 18:39   #123

or you could just get them to hang on a minute... put the phone down on the side and go off and do something else instead leaving them waiting lol
Miaowzinzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 19:34   #124
Beacon of light

Oh, I have done that and a few other things too.......some of them quite nasty.
But I have found that citing the CIO, brings the conversation to an abrupt halt.
I try to get the name of the company ringing me first though.......they know that they can be fined up to £5000 and that these unsolicited calls are illegal.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04   #125
Resting in Peace

Had a cracker the other day, a young lady from er um India, rang to say she could solve all my debt problems for me, so I let her carry on with her scripted spiel, when she'd finished I just said I don't think you can help me, oh yes I can (we are now in pantomime mode) oh no you can't, why would you say that, quite simples really don't have any Debt, good afternoon
Old 11-10-2010, 18:52   #126
Senior Member+

Similar thing here jaysay. The girl started going on about debt and I told her "Sorry I don't lend money to people I don't know" she laughed and hung up.
An alarm system company in Morecambe had the same number as me years ago apart from the code which is 0524. I got woken many times with the police ringing me up to reset an alarm or something or other. One night I told the police lady who had rung three times in 5 minutes to clear off as I was trying to break into a safe and she was holding me up. On the fourth attempt I explained her mistake and she realized she had dialled 0254. I think in those days the codes didn't have the 1 after the 0.
It doesn't happen now, either crime has stopped in Morecambe or the alarm company has gone bust because everybody rang me instead of them.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38   #127
Give, give, give member

I've been using another one lately.

'Hello, can I speak to Mr. Garinda?'

'No. I'm afraid he's busy at the moment, but if you leave your home number I'll make sure he calls you back, though it will probably be in the middle of the night.'

Clink.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Similar thing here jaysay. The girl started going on about debt and I told her "Sorry I don't lend money to people I don't know" she laughed and hung up.
An alarm system company in Morecambe had the same number as me years ago apart from the code which is 0524. I got woken many times with the police ringing me up to reset an alarm or something or other. One night I told the police lady who had rung three times in 5 minutes to clear off as I was trying to break into a safe and she was holding me up. On the fourth attempt I explained her mistake and she realized she had dialled 0254. I think in those days the codes didn't have the 1 after the 0.
It doesn't happen now, either crime has stopped in Morecambe or the alarm company has gone bust because everybody rang me instead of them.
That happened to me as well Gremlin, Acc is 01254, whilst Blackpool and district is 01253. I think its Blackpool Honda Motor Bikes have the same fax number as my phone number apart from the code. Some bird brain had sent a directive to all their customers giving them their new fax number but the wrong code, consequently I was inundated by people wanting to send me a fax, I contacted BT and they did ease of somewhat but even today I still get the occasional call, the only trouble is they're usually on auto redial and my phone rings for around six time before it gives up
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That happened to me as well Gremlin, Acc is 01254, whilst Blackpool and district is 01253. I think its Blackpool Honda Motor Bikes have the same fax number as my phone number apart from the code. Some bird brain had sent a directive to all their customers giving them their new fax number but the wrong code, consequently I was inundated by people wanting to send me a fax, I contacted BT and they did ease of somewhat but even today I still get the occasional call, the only trouble is they're usually on auto redial and my phone rings for around six time before it gives up
Had a result on this issueOn monday setayes called in to see me and whilst the was here the phone rang and it was one of these bogus faxes, I told him of the trouble I'd been having and he suggested I ring BT and get fax generated calls barred from my number, so I did and I have, takes 28 days to become effective but at last a result, thank you setayes
Old 02-12-2010, 16:12   #130
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
....takes 28 days to become effective ...
28 days, they are having a laugh.
Whats that then, 27 days 23 hours 58 mins waiting and then 2 minutes to bring up your account and tick a box?

I am interested to know how they bar fax calls.
Old 02-12-2010, 17:58   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
28 days, they are having a laugh.
Whats that then, 27 days 23 hours 58 mins waiting and then 2 minutes to bring up your account and tick a box?

I am interested to know how they bar fax calls.
I believe you can have lots of things barred Neil, I know you can have withheld numbers barred for one, and calls from outside the UK
Old 03-12-2010, 19:52   #132
God Member

british telecom told me only the other week they have not got any means of stopping overseas telemaketers which with todays technologhy is quite unacceptable and poor service from BT

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
british telecom told me only the other week they have not got any means of stopping overseas telemaketers which with todays technologhy is quite unacceptable and poor service from BT
That's where all the nuisance calls come from these days, ya can't tell a word they say for a start, especially those from India and Liverpool
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34   #134
God Member

I hang up as soon as I hear 'congratulations' in a yankee accent.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I hang up as soon as I hear 'congratulations' in a yankee accent.
Snap

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..