Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 18:16   #1
Len
God Member

Nuisance telephone calls.

I have been told to try this below:

Are you, like me, fed up with those constant telephone calls inviting you to order a new kitchen, change your telephone service or informing you that you may have won a holiday?

If you are, you might like to know of a service called the telephone preference service, which allows you to block these cold-canvass callers. It’s a simple to use, free service, and all you need to do is ring the number and select your options. Alternatively you can do the same thing online by accessing the website. The details are as follows:

Telephone: 0845 0700707

Once you register it takes up to 28 days for the service to take effect – but it does work!
.................................................. ..

Hope it helps.

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2004, 20:12   #2
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

Cheers Len, I hope it works, I wish I knew how they get my number as I'm ex-directory.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 21:32   #3
Resident Waffler

Thanks Len. I've been looking for how to do this for a little while now because I'm fed up of the number of times people phone trying to sell me insurance, double glazing, loans etc etc.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 21:48   #4
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Cheers Len, I hope it works, I wish I knew how they get my number as I'm ex-directory.
I have been ex-directory for a number of years and in all that time, only received one phone call trying to sell me their upgraded product. Any guesses which company it was?? B.T.!!!!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 22:52   #5
Senior Member+

I have been on this for 2 yrs, worked well for a while but not recently????

I reregistered..........and registered on Fax Preference service(a fax tone at 3 in the morning is very upsetting"

But they did not stop...... Better but still a few a day.

So I pay a few quid a month to BT for Anonymos(spellcheck) caller rejection. And I have peace and only recieve calls from people I want to recieve calls from

I got really sick of all those ignorant sod's who dont give up...
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 23:08   #6
Resident Waffler

I get anonymous ones who don't even say anything - just hang up when I answer. Now they really do annoy me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 23:31   #7
Senior Member+

A lot of the time those calls are from computers that ring a large amount of No's and when YOU/WE answer the phone it flash's a light on the call centre switchboard. And if there is no LOVELY caring sincere person to tell you how much you need there product..........Then YOU/WE are kept waiting or it hang's up automatically

I have not recieved such a call for month's now and at long last I look forward to the phone ringing Not dreading it ringing and cursing as I walk toward's it saying "If that Is those.................I'll..........."

I actually found myself being a bit off with family etc at the start of a call
Old 06-10-2004, 23:44   #8
God Member

I ahve been on the list for quite some time and the advert calls have dropped by 95% but not fully...

We have caller display and as a house rule we dont answer calls that show up as a witheld number... the concept being that i dont want to talk to anyone who isnt prepared to let me know there number... its also safer with kids in the house... Most people selling will use witheld..

All in all pretty advert free...

Never had my fax go for an advert yet though
Old 07-10-2004, 00:03   #9
Senior Member+

Caller Display is worth it's wait in GOLD.... But that 5% you talk about is a lot higher when you advertise you No for business and have Freephone No's(cheepskate's) ..

I a long time ago put my home No as a fax No in a add due to having a fax machine connected to it(stop shouting"silly sod") But that came back to haunt me big time...

About 10 attempted advert fax's a day at one time

They send them faxes out at night as well when cheaper call's

Happy now because as you say 99.9 % of "seller's" are No "witheld"...
Old 07-10-2004, 21:45   #10
Accy Goddess

We have been getting those calls of late.
Dash to the phone,you pick it up.
They put it down.
Very annoying.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 22:58   #11
Full Member+

If youre in the mood for a bit of fun/revenge or just spiteful try this.......

Tell the caller that your number is ex-directory, even if its not
Demand to know where they got your phone number from
Quote the Data Protection Act 1998. Demand a copy of all the details they hold on you
Ask for their name
Tell them they are lying as someone working in an Indian call centre will not be called Gerald
Ask them for their real name
Ask for their home phone number as you have to make an official complaint
Keep the conversation going until their voice has reached falsetto....then
Ask to speak to their superviser
Repeat the above
I know its petty, but if they want to waste my time i`m damn sure I can play that game too
Old 08-10-2004, 12:20   #12
I am Band

Exclamation Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

When you get a cold caller, don't hang up. Put the handset down but don't put it back on the cradle or switch off. Whilst your phone is still connected to that call, the cold caller cannot ring out on their phone until you hang up. You will hear all sorts of banshee like screams and alarms coming from your phone, telling you to hang up, but it's a good feeling when you know that the nuisance caller is getting a taste of their own medicine, and deny them the opportunity to do their job and earn some commision.

I learned of this technique from my cousin who works for BT.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:49   #13
God Member

Yeah..that's the way Sparko...just tell 'em you've got a caller at the door and can they hang on a moment.....after an hour come back, ask if they're still there and if they are, tell 'em you're not interested and put the phone down.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:56   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
I learned of this technique from my cousin who works for BT.
Is it your cousin I wonder who keeps me waiting for an eternity when they cock my bill up? Just a thought.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 15:12   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I have been told to try this below:

Are you, like me, fed up with those constant telephone calls inviting you to order a new kitchen, change your telephone service or informing you that you may have won a holiday?

If you are, you might like to know of a service called the telephone preference service, which allows you to block these cold-canvass callers. It’s a simple to use, free service, and all you need to do is ring the number and select your options. Alternatively you can do the same thing online by accessing the website. The details are as follows:

Telephone: 0845 0700707

Once you register it takes up to 28 days for the service to take effect – but it does work!
.................................................. ..

Hope it helps.
if you have call barring you can enter a code in your phone to stop people ringing you who have a withheld number. we have this service and it stopped these calls dead.
korando is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..