Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2010, 17:58   #1
God Member

persistant Mold in toilet bowl

OK folks , I need some advice here , for the last two or three months I have been having a problem with small specks of black mold appearing in my toilet bowl, if left they grow , it appears both below and above the water line , first signs usually appear about two days/three after cleaning, scouring , used everything available from the store, including bleach, scoured with boiling water etc. cleaned and looked under the rim, no trace of it there just appears around the water line , I've thought of trying Muratic acid (the stuff usd for cleaning concrete and brickwork ) but concerned it could affect the glaze or sewer lines . I've tried draining the bowl, plugging up the outlet and steeping/soaking the bowl in a stong bleach solution . The stuff still grows with one of those blue dis-solvable disinfectant blocks in the tank , toilet brush is clean (boiled it) so no back and forward tranfer from that.
Anyone got any ideas , Thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2010, 19:24   #2
I am Banned

Re: persistant Mold in toilet bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
OK folks , I need some advice here , for the last two or three months I have been having a problem with small specks of black mold appearing in my toilet bowl, if left they grow , it appears both below and above the water line , first signs usually appear about two days/three after cleaning, scouring , used everything available from the store, including bleach, scoured with boiling water etc. cleaned and looked under the rim, no trace of it there just appears around the water line , I've thought of trying Muratic acid (the stuff usd for cleaning concrete and brickwork ) but concerned it could affect the glaze or sewer lines . I've tried draining the bowl, plugging up the outlet and steeping/soaking the bowl in a stong bleach solution . The stuff still grows with one of those blue dis-solvable disinfectant blocks in the tank , toilet brush is clean (boiled it) so no back and forward tranfer from that.
Anyone got any ideas , Thanks
Is the water used to flush, from the domestic drinking water supply, hope not. Have you tried caustic soda.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 19:37   #3

Very odd, we've had two houses were the "flushing" water comes from a cold water header tank in the loft and the drinking water came from the rising main, wonder if something has got in the tank?
Don't damage the glaze or the situation will be even worse.Have you tried filling an old mug with the water to see what happens?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 19:41   #4

Have you seen this thread, same problem, some of the suggestions are a bit daft
Black mould in the bathroom! - Advice - Digital Spy Forums
Old 25-05-2010, 19:43   #5

You can mold test your water first thing in the morning [prior to other water use] for possible mold contamination by running some water into a cup. Then using a new or sanitized eyedropper, transfer about 10 to 20 drops of water onto the surface of a mold test kit, and then watch for any growth over the next 7 days
Old 25-05-2010, 19:44   #6
God Member

Did you clean the cistern as well has the bowl? it will be a form of algae and more than likely coming from the cistern, fill with milton fluid (diluted) and leave for a few hour.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 20:35   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Is the water used to flush, from the domestic drinking water supply, hope not. Have you tried caustic soda.

Retlaw
I'm presuming so , only one water supply pipe from the mains
Old 25-05-2010, 20:39   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Did you clean the cistern as well has the bowl? it will be a form of algae and more than likely coming from the cistern, fill with milton fluid (diluted) and leave for a few hour.
cistern/tank looks clean enough ,
is the milton fluid the stuff used for babies bottles , sounds vaughly familiar
Old 25-05-2010, 20:39   #9
God Member

It sounds like you have a balanced system and the storage tank has been contaminated, if the pressure in the hot and cold taps upstairs are equal, this is probably what has happened, so dont drink the water in the bathroom, take advice from a plumber who has his 'unvented hot water' certificate, and they will treat the system with chlorine tablets, be sure that the cylinder thermostat is set to more than 55 degrees celcius, or any bacteria will not be killed.

Last edited by derekgas; 25-05-2010 at 20:40. Reason: spelling error
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 20:45   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Have you seen this thread, same problem, some of the suggestions are a bit daft
Black mould in the bathroom! - Advice - Digital Spy Forums
thanks for the link , sums up my problem
Old 25-05-2010, 23:02   #11
Give, give, give member

Try a sodium hypochlorite, or a hydrogen peroxide, enema.

That should soon shift any unsightly mould spots in a few days.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..