Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2012, 11:32   #16
Rest in Peace

Re: Pet Owners

No more he stands beside my leg
His eyes shiing so bright
Icould never outrun him
Though I tried with all my might

Then his legs grow frail and weak
His coat has lost its sheen
The joys we had in days gone by
Was like an obscure dream

I can see now me all ragged pants
He with wagging tail
Anyone who tackled us
Was guaranteed to fail

When I see a boy and his dog
I see the invisable tie
I remember well my little pal
Forgive me if I cry
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2012, 15:12   #17
Senior Member+

growing up we had a couple of tabbys. I named one tess. She seemed to be most attached to me. We had tess for well over ten years. She used to hide in my bedroom at night, so mum wouldn't put her outside. I would wake up and she would be under the covers. She seemed to love sleeping under covers.

Once I felt something inside my bed by my feet-- I lifted up the duvet to find a dead mouse there!

On the day we had to have her put down-- I rang in work and my boss let me have a holiday. I found her and she was meowing mournfully. Constantly. She was walking really slow. It was obvious she was in a lot of pain. We placed her inside a box that had cushions inside and I sat with her from 5am till the vets opened. I was trying my best to comfort her, stroking her head and that stuff. If i had to get up to go toilet or something she would lift her head up and start the mournful meowing and the look on her face was like she was saying "where are you going, don't leave me like this"

Got her to the vets and he smelled her breath and told me her kidneys had failed. What happened next I would rather not write here. Just thinking about it again is upsetting enough.
Old 29-04-2012, 16:41   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
growing up we had a couple of tabbys. I named one tess. She seemed to be most attached to me. We had tess for well over ten years. She used to hide in my bedroom at night, so mum wouldn't put her outside. I would wake up and she would be under the covers. She seemed to love sleeping under covers.

Once I felt something inside my bed by my feet-- I lifted up the duvet to find a dead mouse there!

On the day we had to have her put down-- I rang in work and my boss let me have a holiday. I found her and she was meowing mournfully. Constantly. She was walking really slow. It was obvious she was in a lot of pain. We placed her inside a box that had cushions inside and I sat with her from 5am till the vets opened. I was trying my best to comfort her, stroking her head and that stuff. If i had to get up to go toilet or something she would lift her head up and start the mournful meowing and the look on her face was like she was saying "where are you going, don't leave me like this"

Got her to the vets and he smelled her breath and told me her kidneys had failed. What happened next I would rather not write here. Just thinking about it again is upsetting enough.
Rob, what a sad story but thanks for sharing. That's what it's really like when you have pets.
Old 29-04-2012, 18:16   #19
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Just thinking about it again is upsetting enough.
I know where you're coming from fella, our old Scruff dog was a similar tale, absolutely heart wrenching. As I said, its part of the pact we make when taking on a pet.
Old 29-04-2012, 18:28   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Rob, what a sad story but thanks for sharing. That's what it's really like when you have pets.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I know where you're coming from fella, our old Scruff dog was a similar tale, absolutely heart wrenching. As I said, its part of the pact we make when taking on a pet.
Thanks. Yeah it is difficult. You don't realize how attached you are to them until these moments
Old 29-04-2012, 22:16   #21
Senior Member+

What happened to claytoner40 have we frightened him away?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 22:35   #22

No still here. I've decided frosty relationship is the best
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 22:37   #23
God Member

Some animals are less affectionate than others.
....just like humans

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:04   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
I don't understand the rational behind the statement, you did say pets, so that could be any type of pet. Although if you get one and then partially ignore it then why get one in the first place.

The statement also moves across to getting a partner in life (I'm not saying as pets) If you are afraid you will become emotionally upset should a partner die before you, then should you treat them indifferently so you wont get upset later in life.

I think this type of emotional isolation makes for an isolated life, and to deny any type of companionship to save being upset later is a very sad situation to be in.
Open your heart to the possibilities, and enjoy the companionship of others.

This therapy session is now over and there is no charge if you act on my advice.
Old 30-04-2012, 10:07   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
PET OWNERS. Always maintain a frosty relationship with your pet to avoid being sad when it dies. (thanks to @mrneilforsyth)
Quote:
Do you have a reason for starting this thread in the first place?
Old 30-04-2012, 10:17   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I don't understand the rational behind the statement, you did say pets, so that could be any type of pet. Although if you get one and then partially ignore it then why get one in the first place.

The statement also moves across to getting a partner in life (I'm not saying as pets) If you are afraid you will become emotionally upset should a partner die before you, then should you treat them indifferently so you wont get upset later in life.

I think this type of emotional isolation makes for an isolated life, and to deny any type of companionship to save being upset later is a very sad situation to be in.
Open your heart to the possibilities, and enjoy the companionship of others.

This therapy session is now over and there is no charge if you act on my advice.
Hell thought only Less gave words of wisdom Dave
Old 30-04-2012, 12:09   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hell thought only Less gave words of wisdom Dave
I had just drunk some lucozade, I think the bubbles went to my head
Old 30-04-2012, 12:51   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I had just drunk some lucozade, I think the bubbles went to my head
This post may be considered 'off topic' but I felt compelled to post it.

Lucozade contains -
Glucose Fructose Syrup (24%)

High-fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

....and scientific reasons for not injesting it -

Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

"These rats aren't just getting fat; they're demonstrating characteristics of obesity, including substantial increases in abdominal fat and circulating triglycerides," said Princeton graduate student Miriam Bocarsly. "In humans, these same characteristics are known risk factors for high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, cancer and diabetes."

Last edited by MargaretR; 30-04-2012 at 12:57.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 13:40   #29
God Member

Like everything else in life, you have to take a chance, if my Bella dies, which she will eventually then i won't moarn her loss, i will celebrate it due to the fact i have good memories of her, why dwell on something that makes you feel down?
Old 30-04-2012, 17:38   #30
Senior Member+

thats the thing though; Its easier to say that now that your Bella is still alive. of course we all deal with loss in our own way. Your way of a celebration is admirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Like everything else in life, you have to take a chance, if my Bella dies, which she will eventually then i won't moarn her loss, i will celebrate it due to the fact i have good memories of her, why dwell on something that makes you feel down?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..