Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Studio25

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2014, 23:40   #1
Full Member+

Power of attorney advice needed

My brother has to put it bluntly declared himself the above regarding my mum's finances and care. She's been in an old folks home for a year and her house has been put up for sale to pay for her care costs. He has had all her mail redirected to his house and refuses to discuss her financial matters with me and if he does he's very vague with the answers. My mum told me one day that he'd got her to sign a paper that'd be "to the benefit of me and him". I think that this was him getting her to sign her financial matters over to him.
Can anyone tell me if he's acted in a lawful way and if so do i still have the right to see her bank statements and care home cost fees etc? Please don't advise me to see a solicitor as i couldn't afford to.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2014, 00:53   #2

Re: Power of attorney advice needed

The best place for this sort of advice on the internet is uk.legal.moderated. The best place in person is the Citizen's Advice Bureau. The latter offer online advice too, but it's not as quick as the moderated legal group.
DtheP47 likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 01:34   #3

For example, there's a thread with similarities here.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 07:07   #4
Senior Member+

If he has got her to sign "Enduring power of Attorney" he will have the power to draw money from her bank accounts and deal with her financial affairs. They both would have had to sign it in front of a solicitor and your mother would have had to be of "sound mind and will". My wife and I did it for the mother in law when she went in a nursing home"
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 14:31   #5
Full Member+

I was told by my fathers solicitor that an Enduring power of Attorney is more important than a will. It does not cost that much to make. My father's solicitor went to visit him without me being present before the papers were signed to make sure he was not being coerced into anything and understood what it entailed. The document is only valid until the person it is to protect is living.On their death it is null and void. I would think that Studio 25 's advice about the CAB is worth taking. Some solicitors do give free advice in some circumstances too. I would suggest finding out which solicitor drew up the document and have a word with them. Good luck.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 19:25   #6

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Mental Capacity Act: What to do when there is disagreement

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..