Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 21:44   #46
I am Banned

Re: pregnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Sounds like you had a really bad time there, Accymel.You have my sympathy.It makes me mad that there are still the breast feeding mafia out there ready to wag the finger at anyone who can't/doesn't want to breast feed,even after hearing about miserable experiences like yours they still try to make you feel like a wimp for going on to bottles.LEAVE US ALONE.These are probably the same people that whip themselves accross their backs as they try to beat the devil out and think the pain is good..
LOL a lot of the breast feeding mafia tend to be those that are in the 'baby field' but dont have any of their own like my midwife [o cant beat a bit of breast pain no sleep & baby jaws stronger than clamps on yer nips worse than any nipple twister to tell a non rearing midwife were to go if u cant go on with breast feeding LOL] or its those that have the natural ability or no nerve feeling nipples that are pro active breast feeding mafia. Best of it is that many places wont allow or make mother feel comfortable to breast feed privately or leared at by passers by

If mum & baby are healthy & happy what should it matter where the milk be it baby formular or booby
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2007, 21:46   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
got me reminissing on that thought - blumming breast pads, arnt they useless [cotton pad thing to insert in bra when breast feeding to stop embarrising leaks] erm nope more embarassing was them making an appearance during xmas dinner with the new grandparents so not only leaks to worry about but the pads themselves popping out or falling out LOL!! those were the days - have they improved or do they still do the same ???
Lol Accymel.I used them towards the end of my pregnancy and just after when I had a bash at breastfeeding.They are disc shaped and show through all your tops...attractive.Mind you,the alternative is a large wet patch and that's got to be worse....just.Towards the end of my pregnancy I found that if I got myself worked up for example a little tiff with hubby or trouble at work,I could feel milk dribbling out of my boobs.I thought that was very odd lol
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 21:46   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
BTW it's 11 years ago since I did it and I still remember it being like slamming yer nips in a fridge door to start with !
Hehehehehehehe great for having nipple extentions tho & with no cost except pain
Old 02-08-2007, 21:59   #49
God Member

[quote=accymel;455624]LOL a lot of the breast feeding mafia tend to be those that are in the 'baby field' but dont have any of their own like my midwife [o cant beat a bit of breast pain no sleep & baby jaws stronger than clamps on yer nips worse than any nipple twister to tell a non rearing midwife were to go if u cant go on with breast feeding LOL]/quote]

I encountered one of those midwives.You can spot them a mile off can't you? Everything they say has come from a text book,no personal experience to draw on and very often with an attitude that makes you think they would have been thrown out of the nazi party for being too cruel
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 22:05   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

I encountered one of those midwives.You can spot them a mile off can't you? Everything they say has come from a text book,no personal experience to draw on and very often with an attitude that makes you think they would have been thrown out of the nazi party for being too cruel
yep them are the ones bookworming midwifes, i made sure with subsequent baby that she had kids - absolute pleasure throughout the pregancy/birth, so much more empathethic & forethinking in every aspect without the patronising - not a quote from book at all
Old 02-08-2007, 22:12   #51
Senior Member+

The midwife who dealt with me and my messy caesarian had no kids at the time,had just moved to the hospital and had never dealt with an elective caesarian that happened as quickly ! The poor lass hadn't even got her gloves on before the surgeon shouited "there you go !" . She said afterwards it was the quickest c section she had ever seen; she was a fantastic midwife; Cathy Jordan, I think she now has 2 of her own so I can't have put her off !
Old 02-08-2007, 22:18   #52
God Member

Well the midwife that I had was a right COW (( hiya Lettie ))

No seriously, Lettie was my midwife at my doctors. She has no children, but she was great!!! talk about laugh. And she was on duty when my youngest was born. She didn't deliver him, but when he was born, they weighed him then placed him in the fish tank at the end of the bed to be dressed and he curled back up into the fetal position. All midwives were called in to have a look at him and I remember lettie being one of them

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 22:27   #53
God Member

No morning sickness with either of mine but my ex hubby got it with the first....honest!!

I craved shandy bass with my first son

no cravings with the second but smell of bananas made me feel really sick so I couldn't eat them and still can't face them now and he's now 14 !!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:34   #54
God Member

I have heard that pregnancy cravings relate to nutritional needs.
I went crazy for sardines and tomatoes, so I suppose that was need for omega 3 and vitamin C.
I cant imagine much nutritional value in shandy unless you count the vitamin B of the yeast that brewed it.
Then there are women who eat coal - unexplainable!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Then there are women who eat coal - unexplainable!
Was that not to explain away a dodgy situation?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Was that not to explain away a dodgy situation?
explain your response - what dodgy situation?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:49   #57

wow youve given me loads to think about lol thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 12:11   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
explain your response - what dodgy situation?
I think he means when the baby comes out black and the father was white, she can blame it on the coal ......

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 13:17   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
I think he means when the baby comes out black and the father was white, she can blame it on the coal ......
Got it in one Slinky............I get the distinct impression that Margaret did as well.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:00   #60
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Dear oh dear..... This thread has opened a can of worms..

I would like to add my twopennorth and stick up for these so-called book taught midwives who have no idea.........

Midwives are taught by experience, not just by theory. You cannot learn to deliver a baby and care for a mother and baby by reading a textbook. Most midwives have children themselves, some are unable to have children, have had stillbirths, cot deaths or just do not want children but spend their lives looking after other people's children. Before you make judgemental remaks about midwives who don't have kids, just think yourselves lucky that you do.......

In my opinion, you are entitled to feed your baby how you see fit. At least in this country we have a choice, in the third world you breastfeed or lose your baby to malnutrition, gastroenteritis or the thousands of other nasties out there.

Of course, if you think midwifery is an easy job and that you would be so much better at it than the people who looked after you then feel free to come and do your training.
The stark reality is that you will work long hours, do day and night shifts in the same week, rarely have a meal break, have to cope with abuse from members of the public who are drunk, on drugs or just plain nasty. You will find that you have a wealth of paperwork to do in order to cover your ar$e and fulfill legal requirements. You will rarely be supplied with adequate equipment to do your job. You will deal with stillbirths, late miscarriages and people who are grieving. You will feel like gobbing the people who coo.... 'oooh, what a lovely job.'

Despite all of this, it can be lovely and fulfilling. I have made lots of good friends and get on well with my clients. I speak my mind and genuinely worry about people and will always try my best to help, even if I've been up all night with someone in labour, feel ill, hungry, need the loo or have a thousand other jobs to do.

If you think that this is an easy job then come and try it.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..